• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

jmp-1, what do you think about?

• Thread starter crflores
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

crflores

Reaction score
I need to know what to buy, if a JCM-800 (2203) or a JMP1 with a 9200( or el 34 100/100). What the best sound?
What do you think about jfx-1, works well with the JCM-800?

Kendall124

Reaction score
Howdy,
(Say aloud with your best Mr. Burns impression from the Simpsons) "So, JMP-1 eh?" I am currently running a JMP-1 that I use with either an EL34 100/100 (the beast) or a El84 20/20. More on power amps in a minute...

(*IMHO this is not a pre-amp if you're doing new metal, nu-metal, newer metal, new-ish metal or even Jewish metal*).
The JMP-1 is a very versatile pre-amp. Great for straight up rock. Nice cleans. The OD channels can be a little fizzy but you can usually dial it out if you take your time. The JMP-1 is VERY NOISEY. I have my output set at 9 o'clock which is plenty because I don't need all devices in the signal path to be set to 10. Individual patch volumes should be set between 10 to 15. Anything above that and I found I'm just creating noise. Channel switching is pretty quick with the stock, 4 button footswitch. I have not tried a midi controller with it. I don't need that many settings. I only need to sound like me.
I sent mine to VooDoo and had them do the mod. I would recommend it. See link below. It does, however, make it a very pricey pre-amp once the dust has settled and you've mouth to mouthed your wallet back to life. I have about $900.00 into mine (Ebay+VooDoo+shipping)

Power amps....
the EL34 100/100 is too much. She's heavy. She's noisy (fan) and she weighs a ton. I have found that the EL84 20/20 is a match made in heaven. Much lighter (if you're gigging) and I kinda like the snap of the 84's compared to the growl of the 34's. If I were doing very large rooms, I'd take the 100/100. Make no mistake... the 100/100 kicks the 20/20's a**. Crank that sucker up and I get all goose bumpy. Raw power, man stuff.

In conclusion: A great rig. Would I change anything???

Heck yes!! I'm never completely happy with my tone but remember...

"It's not the kill, it's the thrill of the chase."

So good luck.

http://www.voodooamps.com/home/Modi...arshallMods/JMP1Preamp/tabid/150/Default.aspx

Last edited:

IG88

Reaction score
Modded 2203= Monstrous flamethrower to utterly scorch the world's tiny little ass.

Jmp-1/9200= 1,567,488 presets of meh.

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score
IG88 , are you serious , i'm a jcm 800 fan from way back , but the JMP1 / 9200 PWR AMP combo can produce some killer tones from many decades , GOOGLE and read how
many great recording artists are using that set up live and in the studios , one band that comes to mind that uses this combo for a number of years is IRON MAIDEN.
don't kid yourself thats a great rig , pound that though a pair of 4x12s , hang onto your HAIR!!!!

neilrocks25

Reaction score
The JMP-1 is a great pre amp.
And yes it can do metal, why do you think Sepultura and the deftones used them.
I used one with a 9005 power amp and it sounded great. Those power amps are the power section from an 800 any way (or so people say).
I used mine for AC/DC style rock and Bad religion style punk.

crflores

Reaction score
First, thanks to all
I've never heard jmp-1, but i've play the jcm-800 once time.. it's the extasys.. So warmer sound and i like it so much...
the question is if jmp-1 it's capable of reproducing the jcm-800 sound.. opinion??
And what do you think about jfx-1??

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score
the other guitarist in a band i was in had a boogie tri-axis rack pre amp , switched to the jmp1 and it was a noiticeable difference in tone , and on top of that , it was a
more versatile unit overall , he was useing the boogie 2-90 power amp and a 4x12
marshall cab with the jmp 1, awsome set up IMO...

Chadman

Reaction score
Hello, just thought I would jump in on this one….I am a past owner of a jmp-1 and 100/100 Marshall power amp (mine was the older one that ran 6L6’s) and let me tell ya BOOOOMMM! That thing had some big ass balls!! And not that you would need to, but you can run “4!! 4x12’s!!!”
BUT……that dam thing was the heaviest fucking thing in the universe!! Arnold would grunt picking up this combo….although the tone was great and all that I ever needed, I sold it….and picked up an 800 (re-issue) and the first day I got it, it felt like I could pick it up with one finger after spending the last 5 years training for the Olympics with the other I just couldn’t take it anymore, (my back still kisses me goodnight for getting rid of it)

The Jmp-1 does sound great but, I wanted the full Marshall package so I wouldn’t settle for anything but the master of all power amps (the 100/100) however, unless you have forklifts and trucks the move your gear around like Iron Maiden (reason I bought that combo in the fist place!) I would highly recommend a lighter source of power to run it!!

**just for the record the re-issue 800 sounds great! despite what some purest might say….after Christmas when I have some cash I’m planning to put in one of Lee Jackson’s mod kits just so it kicks even more ass! (with an FX loop too!!) :rock:

Cheers! (Don’t break your back like I did…:()

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score
remember i played in that band with him , and helped him severl times loading in and out!
and your right , those things weigh a ton . but they sound great !!! always a trade off !!!

IG88

Reaction score
All that rack stuff just sounds flatter to me. I had all that shit. It was great. Jmp1, triaxis, quad, 2120, VHT GP3, 395, 50/50, lexicon, eventide, bigass midi pedals, blah blah blah. All the heads have something indescribably better than their rack counterparts. Unshared powersupplies? Idk, but something is indeed making a difference.

crflores

Reaction score
then it is always preferable the combo over the rack?
please anybody give me something about the jfx-1!!!!

Blade Guitars

Reaction score
Hy!!

I have a JMP1 and a 80's mesa fifty fifty poweramp with a 4*12.................let me tell you, if you want to play Hard Rock and still be versitble, this is the unit for you.... go with the JMP1 but for me any marshall is the Top for Rock so...

About the JFx, i almost buy one, but then i prefered the GMAJOR.

jcmjmp

Reaction score
i have never used one , but the reveiws are good overall @ HARMONY CENTRAL.
check out iron maidens racks they all use the jfx 1.

I had a JMP-1 and it was OK. I think much of the reason why I didn't like it much was the GK solid state power amp I was running it through. I sold it within 3-4 months.

I got an ADA MP-1 which I like. I would'nt mind giving the JMP-1 another try now that I have a decent power amp (Mesa 2:ninety).

The best is still the real thing though. Racks don't have the same feel as a head. Might be all psychological.

Adwex

Reaction score
I used a JMP-1 for years, until I got a good head. The JMP-1 is a pretty good preamp. I ran it through a 9005 power amp, then later on I got a 9200. The 9005 sounds ALOT better than the 9200. I hated the 9200. Maybe the EL34 100/100 is better, I don't know, never tried one, but the 9200 sucked (IMHO).

Never tried the jfx-1 either.

plexipaul

Reaction score
Re: JFX-1?

The JFX-1 served me well for about 10 years. Then it suddenly stopped working properly (sticked to 1 channel) and finally died.
I loved it`s Reverb and Delay. Chorus was ok too but i hardly used that. These effects were subtle but good, also well adjustable. Flanger was crap, something like a very weak Chorus, not a Flanger as we know it.

Latest posts