• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

JVM 210H for 1987x. Should I trade?

• Thread starter JVM
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

JVM

Reaction score
Hey guys!

So, I have a JVM210H head and I've been fucking around with the rather large array of tones you can get with it. No matter how much I tweak it, I'm really not getting the tone I want out of it. I like that raw, classic Marshall roar and this thing is way too compressed and sounds too modern. At certain times I even think it sounds kind of like a solid state or something. Bottom line though, this is an amp for metal, and I'm really more of a classic rock guy.

So, would trading for a 1987x be a wise decision? Are owners of this amp happy with it? What kind of sounds is it capable of? I played one at a local shop for a while and enjoyed it, but I didn't get much time to really get the feel of it.

Also, would it work well with a 1960a cab?

I play Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, KISS, Ozzy, Sabbath, Van Halen, Aerosmith and other stuff like that.

All responses and opinions are greatly appreciated!:cool2:

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
Sounds like it's best for the music you play, especially with a boost for the Sabbath and Ozzy stuff.

Australian

Green Beret
VIP Member
Reaction score
Those bands that you mentioned all use amps with 1987 tyPe configuration so
You cant go wrong there.

JVM

Reaction score
Sounds like it's best for the music you play, especially with a boost for the Sabbath and Ozzy stuff.

I've had my eye on the new Slash Octave Fuzz by MXR. (I have a TS9 too) Any experience with that?

Yeah, forgot to mention I play a lot of Slash and GNR too...:slash:

HeHasTheJazzHands

Reaction score
I said a boost, not a fuzz. :lol:

You might like the fuzz for other stuff, too. The TS9 would work best for boosting, though.

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
any marshall post plexi will do GNR imo. i got great GNR tones out of a 4500, mkIII, 2205, DSL and even the JVM and TSL. but for what you want yeah 1987x all the way. for ME i'd go JVM 410H and do the feedback mod and some bias adjustments.

JVM

Reaction score
any marshall post plexi will do GNR imo. i got great GNR tones out of a 4500, mkIII, 2205, DSL and even the JVM and TSL. but for what you want yeah 1987x all the way. for ME i'd go JVM 410H and do the feedback mod and some bias adjustments.

Hmm... well, judging by what I play, do you think I would get better sound from the 1987x or DSL? I had one awhile back and I don't remember being able to get many classic sounds out of it. Very nice amp though...

marshallmellowed

Reaction score

I've owned a 1987x, a DSL, a Vintage Modern, a JVM 410H, and all are gone, except for my 410H. I have to agree, a slightly modded JVM will get you just about any Marshall tone you're after. The 410 is the way to go (over the 210H or the 1987x), as it does the tones you're after, not so much with the 210. With the 1987x, you won't have an FX loop, which you will wish you had later. You also won't have reverb, channel switching/midi (if that matters to you). You will need a boost pedal to get any level of distortion from the 1987x, unless you add a master volume or use an attenuator (I added a PPI master to mine). I tried the attenuator route, but did not like the results. Just my opinion, based on my experiences.

1337storm

Reaction score
Before you trade the JVM you really should check the bias (often set very cold from Marshall) and try the negative feedback mod (very simple to perform).
If you like the OD from the 410 better, theres also a mod to convert the 210 OD to the 410 OD.
I have the 410 and experienced the same problems as you do and I tried different cabs, attenuators and whatnot....nothing really helped until I did the feedback mod.
The JVM with the correct bias and negative feedback set to JCM800 2203 value will
surprice you.

bulldozer1984

Everybody's Favorite Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
i suggest modding the JVM. You can mod the JVM's power section to break up by doing The Negative Feedback Mod. And with say Crunch Orange with the Negative Feedback turned down you can get that old school raw crunch..

Afterall, the JVM is a series of JCM800 2203/2204's but with a stiff Power Amp (to keep it tight for the high gain modes). Loosen up the Power Amp and you have that old school Power Amp grind.

If you are keen on doing the mod you should check out this link..

JVM Forum • View topic - Negative feedback adjustment knob

Also check out other mods on the forum which can help with that old school grind.

JVM

Reaction score
Ok guys, this is a TRADE. I don't have the money to trade up to a 410. Also, I really don't want to mod anything. Except maybe removing the bright cap if I get the 1987x.

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Ok, here's my honest take on it (take it however you wish) ... you just signed up to the forum this month, and up until that point, and at least for a short period of time thereafter, you thought enough of your JVM to identify yourself by it here on the forum (meaning your screen name of jvm). My guess is that after spending some time on here, and reading about other people's preferences, you're starting to question your own choices, and are dealing with nothing more than a major bout of 'new member GAS' (it happens to everyone).

Though it's unlikely that you'll take my advice, my suggestion would be to slow down and see if you feel the same way in a couple of months ... and if you do, you can always make a change at that point. Otherwise, if you make a switch right now, you will be back here in a few months with another thread asking if you should trade your 1987x for something else.

In the meantime, I'd take the opportunity to not only try out a 1987, but I'd also check out a number of other amps as well, because I can tell you right now with absolute certainty that the interest / GAS will not stop with the 1987x ... you will read about 1987's / 1959's / 2203's / 2204's / SJ's / VM's / AFD's / YJM's / etc ... the list goes on and on ... and believe me, if you're already looking for a switch 24 posts in, my guess is that you'll likely GAS for at least a few of them after reading about them over and over.

Also, I'd take some time to talk w/the other JVM owners on here (of which there are many) ... I see a lot of very good advice offered on how to get the very best out of those amps.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Also, you refer to the 1987x as a "Plexi". They are reissue amps and far from the original "Plexi's" that everyone considers the Holy Grail. If Hendrix were alive and sat down today in front of a 1987x and a JVM, my guess is he'd be all over the JVM and awesome tones would be coming out. Then you'd say, damn, I gotta have a JVM. Ask the guy with the 1987x if you can try it for a day or two next to your JVM before you do a trade.

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
Ok, here's my honest take on it (take it however you wish) ... you just signed up to the forum this month, and up until that point, and at least for a short period of time thereafter, you thought enough of your JVM to identify yourself by it here on the forum (meaning your screen name of jvm). My guess is that after spending some time on here, and reading about other people's preferences, you're starting to question your own choices, and are dealing with nothing more than a major bout of 'new member GAS' (it happens to everyone).

Though it's unlikely that you'll take my advice, my suggestion would be to slow down and see if you feel the same way in a couple of months ... and if you do, you can always make a change at that point. Otherwise, if you make a switch right now, you will be back here in a few months with another thread asking if you should trade your 1987x for something else.

In the meantime, I'd take the opportunity to not only try out a 1987, but I'd also check out a number of other amps as well, because I can tell you right now with absolute certainty that the interest / GAS will not stop with the 1987x ... you will read about 1987's / 1959's / 2203's / 2204's / SJ's / VM's / AFD's / YJM's / etc ... the list goes on and on ... and believe me, if you're already looking for a switch 24 posts in, my guess is that you'll likely GAS for at least a few of them after reading about them over and over.

Also, I'd take some time to talk w/the other JVM owners on here (of which there are many) ... I see a lot of very good advice offered on how to get the very best out of those amps.
:applause::applause::applause::applause: = so very well said!!!

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Hey guys!

So, I have a JVM210H head and I've been fucking around with the rather large array of tones you can get with it. No matter how much I tweak it, I'm really not getting the tone I want out of it. I like that raw, classic Marshall roar and this thing is way too compressed and sounds too modern. At certain times I even think it sounds kind of like a solid state or something. Bottom line though, this is an amp for metal, and I'm really more of a classic rock guy.

So, would trading for a 1987x be a wise decision? Are owners of this amp happy with it? What kind of sounds is it capable of? I played one at a local shop for a while and enjoyed it, but I didn't get much time to really get the feel of it.

Also, would it work well with a 1960a cab?

I play Led Zeppelin, AC/DC, KISS, Ozzy, Sabbath, Van Halen, Aerosmith and other stuff like that.

All responses and opinions are greatly appreciated!:cool2:

Was reading your original post, and just wanted to add a few things. I have 410H, and I get some of my best AC/DC and early VH tones from OD2 orange, and you have this channel on your 210H. One thing about the JVM's, you have to keep the gain really low to get the classic tones (if you're using orange modes). You also have to remember things like guitar and speakers, which you did not mention. What cab were you playing the 1987x through, vs. what you are using with the JVM. Your guitar is also very important, not sure what you're using, but you can't expect to play a guitar with high output pickups through a high gain amp and expect to get authentic sounding AC/DC, Led Zep... tones. A Gibson SG plugged into a JVM is totally different than an Ibanez RG plugged into the same amp. I recommend you visit the JVM forum for some good reading. Just some thoughts. Good luck!

jvm210guy

Reaction score
Sounds like a solid state? If you think this you may just be very off in knowing how to use an amp. If that's the case another Marshall amp won't help you, because most Marshall amps I've played need to be dialed in to get a tone that works for you.

How old are your tubes, and what speakers are you using? What kind of guitar are you using? Are you using any fx??

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
Was reading your original post, and just wanted to add a few things. I have 410H, and I get some of my best AC/DC and early VH tones from OD2 orange, and you have this channel on your 210H. One thing about the JVM's, you have to keep the gain really low to get the classic tones (if you're using orange modes). You also have to remember things like guitar and speakers, which you did not mention. What cab were you playing the 1987x through, vs. what you are using with the JVM. Your guitar is also very important, not sure what you're using, but you can't expect to play a guitar with high output pickups through a high gain amp and expect to get authentic sounding AC/DC, Led Zep... tones. A Gibson SG plugged into a JVM is totally different than an Ibanez RG plugged into the same amp. I recommend you visit the JVM forum for some good reading. Just some thoughts. Good luck!
Had to stop and :applause::applause::applause::applause: for another well stated perspective.