• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

JVM 410 live to much goin' on?

• Thread starter Georgiatec
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
So I've come to the conclusion that while the JVM is a great sounding Marshall and very versatile it's a pain in the arse to use live. I've lost count of the number of times I've stepped on the wrong bloody footswitch and ended up with the wrong tone for the application. I then proceed to stomp around like an epileptic Chuck Berry trying to get the right tone. I think a big improvement would be to have the LED's located above the channel switch to which they relate. It's ended up with my DSL being my "go to" amp with the Vintage Modern for back up. Don't get me wrong some of the tones I get out of the JVM are the dog's knackers, but my lack of confidence in my ability to hit the right button means apprehension every time I want switch tone.
Any one else suffer the same "footswitch dyslexia" :confused:

bulldozer1984

Everybody's Favorite Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
So I've come to the conclusion that while the JVM is a great sounding Marshall and very versatile it's a pain in the arse to use live. I've lost count of the number of times I've stepped on the wrong bloody footswitch and ended up with the wrong tone for the application. I then proceed to stomp around like an epileptic Chuck Berry trying to get the right tone. I think a big improvement would be to have the LED's located above the channel switch to which they relate. It's ended up with my DSL being my "go to" amp with the Vintage Modern for back up. Don't get me wrong some of the tones I get out of the JVM are the dog's knackers, but my lack of confidence in my ability to hit the right button means apprehension every time I want switch tone.

Nope, cant say i do ! I have no problem switching dude

spikei

Reaction score
I only have the JVM 215c, but i mainly use OD2 org & red, so i programme my foot-switch with the buttons =
1st OD Org
2nd OD red
3rd MV 2
4th FX loop
this way i have a two channel amp with 2 master volumes and FX, all foot switchable. I use a boss DM2 in the loop for solo stuff, gives a good volume boost for lead, you have more flexibility than me cos you have a 6 button foot switch.

Australian

Green Beret
VIP Member
Reaction score
You can program the footswitch so that it doesnt go through the three modes of each channel.
This way a switch can be assigned for one mode only rather than it cycling through green, red, and orange.

big dooley

VIP Member
Reaction score
don't have any problems... but when i first played this thing, i had to get used to the fact that you switch channels ON only... you can't switch them OFF... and since i had been using a lot of pedals, i had a hard time getting used to that in the beginning :)

Lespaulnmarshall

Reaction score
This:

You can program the footswitch so that it doesnt go through the three modes of each channel.
This way a switch can be assigned for one mode only rather than it cycling through green, red, and orange.

And this:

246150.jpg

plus_sign.jpg

Sakura%20Glow%20in%20the%20Dark%20Paint%20Marker.gif

plus_sign.jpg

Marshall_JVM_footswitch.jpg

Equal-Sign.jpg

thumbs-up.jpg

Salsg

Reaction score
Sounds there's a nut loose on the footswitch.

No problems ever. The amp is a very simple amp to operate and get great ones out of. None of that stupid or lazy "too many knobs" bullshit.

spacerocker

Reaction score

I'm totally with you on this one! But it is not the amp's fault, it is the controller. The switches are quite close together, and the LEDS are nowhere near the switches!

Last practice, I missed the switches with my foot altogether, even though I have three which are programmed to do the same thing, (to account for such eventualities)! In my defence, I was singing at the time, and I hit the buttons by feel. The Marshall controller switches MVs only.

A better solution (if you are using rack effects as well) is to use a MIDI foot controller, like I do! This way, I have (for example)

Pedal 2 = Crunch red (no effects)

If I want to play lead,

Pedal 4 = OD2 Orange, with "Lead Delay" selected from my rack.

Easy. Two pedal pushes, and the pedals on my Behringer FCB1010 are large, and each has an LED above it!

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
Hello. Sorry to hear that you, Georgiatech, are having problems with your setup. I understand your comment about the JVM footcontroller's LED placement and think that you have a good point. Still, you might benefit from the tips offered by others so far.

I like LesPaulnMarshall's idea about marking the JVM's footcontroller. I also like Australian's idea about programming the JVM footcontroller from switch-store mode to preset mode (the JVM owner's manual talks all about changing from switch-store mode to preset mode, but it's easy enough to do that you might find instructions either here or on the JVM Forum by searching the threads.)

I think that each guitarist needs to contemplate their setup according to their needs and how they will use the JVM. I like Spacerocker's idea because it lends itself well to live performance yet can also transfer over easily for studio recording.

The setup I use is a multi-effects unit that doubles as a MIDI footcontroller. I have all my effects in one unit and I can also use the unit's MIDI interface to control all the JVM's buttons as I would when using the JVM's footcontroller. The difference is that I program each preset in a bank to perform multiple changes at once. According to the way I have my unit setup, when I press preset button A in bank 1, ALL of the following changes will occur at once:

*Clean channel Green mode on the JVM is selected
*Reverb on is selected on the JVM
*Master Volume 1 is selected on the JVM
*FX loop is engaged on the JVM
*Chorus is selected on the multi-effects unit
*Digital delay is selected on the multi-effects unit

When I step on preset button B in the same bank, ALL of the following changes will occur at once:

*Crunch channel Orange mode on the JVM is selected
*Reverb is turned off on the JVM
*Master Volume 2 is selected
*FX Loop is bipassed
*because the FX loop is biapassed, no effects are selected

The beauty of this setup is that it eliminates all the stupid tap dancing guitarist will employ during a live performance. In the heat of performance, I've seen guys using a JVM try to do the following all at once: change channel and mode, turn off reverb, turn on FX loop, change master volume, turn off chorus, turn on delay, turn on flange, turn on wah, change pickup selector switch, etc. Throw in the other responsibilities a guitarist might have, such as sing, play riffs and chords for rhythm, play scales, employ techniques such as right hand taping, etc., and it becomes a nightmare to play live.

Luckily, you have choices. I think that the best multi-effects units that incorporate MIDI and double as a footcontroller are the ones that are designed for live performance. Having said that, here are the ones I like (should you decide to go this route):
  • Line 6 POD HD 300, 400, and 500 (I like the HD500 best of the three but they are very good)
  • Line 6 POD XT Line (these are getting a little hard to find because they are essentially being replaced by the HD series)
  • Line 6 Floor Pod Plus (this is the one I use)
  • TC Electronic G-System
  • TC Electronic NOVA System
  • Boss GT-10
I tend to favor the Line 6 HDs, the Line 6 Floor Pod Plus, and the Boss GT-10 because they incorporate an expression pedal, which can be used as a volume pedal, as a wah pedal, or, as on some multi-effects units, use it to control a specific paramater in real-time.

Good luck with your setup.

1337storm

Reaction score
I have used the JVM controller live since I bought the amp
I use it in preset mode and use tape and and a marker, it's been working so good that I've never got around to program my midi board for the JVM.
But on the other hand I have a simple setup with only a few pedals in the loop.

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
I have used the JVM controller live since I bought the amp
I use it in preset mode and use tape and and a marker, it's been working so good that I've never got around to program my midi board for the JVM.
But on the other hand I have a simple setup with only a few pedals in the loop.
Sounds good!

I sometimes keep it real simple, too, with just a delay and chorus in the loop, a wah between the guitar and amp input, and the JVM footcontroller. I use this setup if I am invited to a jam or for a one-time backup of a friend in need.

Doesn't matter if you use a simple set up with a few pedals, or you are going all out with multi-effects, MIDI, or rack units, the JVM sounds great with just about any setup.

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score

This, I need to do...where's that instruction book :)

big dooley

VIP Member
Reaction score
This, I need to do...where's that instruction book :)

that's not difficult
first push the program switch on the frontpanel once...
then "make" your channel of let's say OD1 orange with reverb and FX-loop on the first mastervolume...
push in the footswitch you want to dedicate this untill you see the leds blinking on the footswitch, and your setting is stored...
the way i have set up my switch is:
#1 clean green with reverb and FX on master 1
#2 clean red with reverb and FX on master 1
#3 crunch orange with reverb and FX on master 1
#4 OD1 orange with reverb and FX on master 1
#5 OD2 red with reverb and FX on master 1
#6 master volume switch

these are the modes most being used... if i want to use a different mode, i use the front panel switches

Ken

Reaction score

OMG...all the time with my pedal board, which only has a tuner, wah, chorus, phase and channel switch for my DSL. I only use them a few times per set too. Should be easy, right?

But I stumble around with it, or forget the cue to hit something, or leave something on after the passage I used it on...or miss the button completely...

My conclusion is you just have to practice it. Hitting the right button on cue takes lots of repetition and practice; I know because I don't practice it enough! I think it's the same with the JVM.

Ken

IbanezMark

Reaction score
RJ is a good man - when I bought my 6100, he noted that he changed the LED lights on the footswitch to correspond with the different channels (Green, Orange, Red).

jvm210guy

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I think it sounds so far like I'm the only guy that doesn't use the JVM footswitch. I only use the crunch channel in the red mode (jvm210h). I go from dirty to clean and vise versa by using my volume knob on my guitar. I've been trying to stay away from pedals. This thread got me thinking to try out the foot pedal a bit more though....

jvm210guy

Reaction score
I agree though that there is "too much going on". I mean, that amp sounds fucking amazing, but I only will ever use 2 out of six modes that are on the thing, and hell you have a 410! That's why I'm making serious moves to get an 800 2203. But, I'm not bashing the JVM, I love it!

Reactions: JvZ

Lespaulnmarshall

Reaction score
Hello. Sorry to hear that you, Georgiatech, are having problems with your setup. I understand your comment about the JVM footcontroller's LED placement and think that you have a good point. Still, you might benefit from the tips offered by others so far.

I like LesPaulnMarshall's idea about marking the JVM's footcontroller. I also like Australian's idea about programming the JVM footcontroller from switch-store mode to preset mode (the JVM owner's manual talks all about changing from switch-store mode to preset mode, but it's easy enough to do that you might find instructions either here or on the JVM Forum by searching the threads.)

I think that each guitarist needs to contemplate their setup according to their needs and how they will use the JVM. I like Spacerocker's idea because it lends itself well to live performance yet can also transfer over easily for studio recording.

The setup I use is a multi-effects unit that doubles as a MIDI footcontroller. I have all my effects in one unit and I can also use the unit's MIDI interface to control all the JVM's buttons as I would when using the JVM's footcontroller. The difference is that I program each preset in a bank to perform multiple changes at once. According to the way I have my unit setup, when I press preset button A in bank 1, ALL of the following changes will occur at once:

*Clean channel Green mode on the JVM is selected
*Reverb on is selected on the JVM
*Master Volume 1 is selected on the JVM
*FX loop is engaged on the JVM
*Chorus is selected on the multi-effects unit
*Digital delay is selected on the multi-effects unit

When I step on preset button B in the same bank, ALL of the following changes will occur at once:

*Crunch channel Orange mode on the JVM is selected
*Reverb is turned off on the JVM
*Master Volume 2 is selected
*FX Loop is bipassed
*because the FX loop is biapassed, no effects are selected

The beauty of this setup is that it eliminates all the stupid tap dancing guitarist will employ during a live performance. In the heat of performance, I've seen guys using a JVM try to do the following all at once: change channel and mode, turn off reverb, turn on FX loop, change master volume, turn off chorus, turn on delay, turn on flange, turn on wah, change pickup selector switch, etc. Throw in the other responsibilities a guitarist might have, such as sing, play riffs and chords for rhythm, play scales, employ techniques such as right hand taping, etc., and it becomes a nightmare to play live.

Luckily, you have choices. I think that the best multi-effects units that incorporate MIDI and double as a footcontroller are the ones that are designed for live performance. Having said that, here are the ones I like (should you decide to go this route):
  • Line 6 POD HD 300, 400, and 500 (I like the HD500 best of the three but they are very good)
  • Line 6 POD XT Line (these are getting a little hard to find because they are essentially being replaced by the HD series)
  • Line 6 Floor Pod Plus (this is the one I use)
  • TC Electronic G-System
  • TC Electronic NOVA System
  • Boss GT-10
I tend to favor the Line 6 HDs, the Line 6 Floor Pod Plus, and the Boss GT-10 because they incorporate an expression pedal, which can be used as a volume pedal, as a wah pedal, or, as on some multi-effects units, use it to control a specific paramater in real-time.

Good luck with your setup.

I used to do that with my JVM and my G-major, exept I didn't have any fancy things lik banks, switches to turn on sperate fx on the midi controller extention pedals etc... on my midi controller. I still have the G-Major, and a Blackstar HT 5 I can do that with (gonna' thy it tonight probably). Kinda' wish I still had the JVM too, because of it's great tone, prallel loop, versatility, wattage etc... And the midi option. Oh well....