JVM 410H vs. DSL100

• Thread starter Nev
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Grunch

Reaction score
Again, I'm not shit-talking the DSL. I think they're great. I also think the JVM is better for it's tone, better design, and versatility.....if those are things that matter to someone. If price is the most critical factor, then I don't think you can beat a DSL.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
I really liked the tone on the JVM. I mean the JVM 2 channel here. I also found not quite enough gain for me in channel one even in red, compared to my TSL. I liked the tone better though. Channel 2 (OD) in the JVM lacked punch in the green setting, I had to go to orange OD channel to get a comparable to my TSL, so I find it almost a one channel with different voicings for heavier rock. Depends what you are after. I am NOT defending my TSL, I was quite ready to ditch it for the JVM head but not anymore. Personal opinion. The TSL - I know, not quite a DSL - is plenty versatile - for me.

Last edited:

mk2 steve

Reaction score
The JVM is more versatile, no doubt about that. How is it better designed in your opinion, dedicated EQ? That is only a factor for some people, I always used mine as a single channel amp and the shared EQ was never a problem, so the huge amount of functions the JVM has would be too much for what I need. In terms of tone, I was expecting them to blow me away when I tried a few, they didn't.

Grunch

Reaction score
The JVM is more versatile, no doubt about that. How is it better designed in your opinion, dedicated EQ? That is only a factor for some people, I always used mine as a single channel amp and the shared EQ was never a problem, so the huge amount of functions the JVM has would be too much for what I need. In terms of tone, I was expecting them to blow me away when I tried a few, they didn't.

Totally fair. You only need or want one general sound and your DSL delivers. No problem there.

The JVM is better designed in my opinion because, like I've said about ten times now, I think the shared EQ of the DSL is a really poor design feature. The two channels sound so vastly different that dialing in one side most often doesn't jive at all with the other. Again, no prob if you just roll through one end of it, but it's still a design flaw IMO.

Ask yourselves this - suppose by some miracle of all miracles, you found a DSL and a JVM410 - both mint condition - for the same exact price. Which would you buy? To use, not flip for profit. I personally think you'd be batshit crazy to pick the DSL in that scenario.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's fine, but be objective here. Name one thing the DSL can do that the JVM410 can't. Seriously.

Sound and feel more to my liking. I bet I could get all kinds of flavors just out of the crunch channel using my favorite pedals to boost it let alone Lead 1 and Lead 2. Even many DSL owners don't know what it can do cause they won't allow for a bit of a boost here and there. No exploring due to prejudice.

I do not like the JVM's and having them give me so much in an amp that won't excite me or comes off just as decent leaves me wanting something else. Like my DSL.:D

To be honest I've moved on to more Vintage Marshall tones anyways.

mk2 steve

Reaction score
Totally fair. You only need or want one general sound and your DSL delivers. No problem there.

The JVM is better designed in my opinion because, like I've said about ten times now, I think the shared EQ of the DSL is a really poor design feature. The two channels sound so vastly different that dialing in one side most often doesn't jive at all with the other. Again, no prob if you just roll through one end of it, but it's still a design flaw IMO.

Ask yourselves this - suppose by some miracle of all miracles, you found a DSL and a JVM410 - both mint condition - for the same exact price. Which would you buy? To use, not flip for profit. I personally think you'd be batshit crazy to pick the DSL in that scenario.

oh yeah no question, I'd go for the JVM. Would be a deal of the century to get one for the cost of a DSL though lol.

About the shared EQ, I wish Marshall had just made the DSL red channel a gain-ier version of the green channel. the red channel was always "meh" to me. The shared EQ would have been less of an issue then.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Listen. If you can't get a DSL to sound better than a JVM chances are you need a JVM to cover up other stuff with your playing...

Even Satriani uses little of what the JVM offers before he's pulling out his pedals. It ain't all that with all its choices.

Vinsanitizer

AKA "Vinnie the Tits".
VIP Member
Reaction score
Currently living in a van down by the river.
I had a JVM100. A 3 or more channel amp was a dream I had for two decades. I previously customized my rigs to have that ability.

My JVM sounded sterile, with a tonal quality i likened to that of CDs and MP3s compared to records and tapes. I did try several Marshall cabs with it and tinkered with the bias, different tubes, etc. I also took issue with quality - for example, I didn't appreciate that mine had no front-panel knob bolts; the knobs simply poked through the front panel right off the PCB so that they flexed when I touched them. Most people didn't care, but those kinds of things don't give me the feeling of quality that I expect from any amp, let a lone a flagship model costing $2.5K. I thought the features were excellent though.

I later bought a DSL100. To compare the features of the JVM to the DSL is apples to oranges to me. Tonally, and for it's simplicity, I prefer the DSL. These days I do it all with the guitar's volume knob and some reverb or delay, and that's enough for my requirements. Over the years I've learned to simplify.

...And this is the account of those things which I beheld.

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score

I already answered this. A couple of years back I bought a n.mint 2005 DSL100 and about 6 months later bought a mint flightcased JVM 410H. Within 1/2 hour with the DSL I had great crunch tone that when turned down cleaned up beautifully, searing lead tone on either o/d 1 or 2...my preference was 1. The JVM on the other hand I struggled with for weeks without getting anything like the tone I could get from the DSL, then I kept hitting the wrong footswitch, worst of all it would feedback like a banshee at modest volume....IT'S OUTTA HERE.
georgiatec-albums-new-amps-picture4954-nice-pair.jpg
:applause:

Ken

Reaction score
Per another forum, I came accross this info a long time ago:

"Read up about problems with the DSL/TSL 100 PCB material and make sure you can eyeball the innards of the amp if possible to verify whether it's the newer material or not.

Basically until recently, these amplifiers were made using a PCB material which - after a few years - actually become CONDUCTIVE leading to all sorts of bizarre problems like mysteriously drifting bias and other seemingly random faults. The newer ones have a darker green PCB with a woven material visible under the surface. The older, dodgy ones are a paler green - with no visible weave. The only way to fix the older models is to replace the PCB itself in it's entirety.

If you can't verify that it's a newer model or has the newer PCB in it, I would walk away."

I think there's some misinformation on this. It's true that early TSL boards had both conductivity issues and even wrong value components installed. These were addressed by Marshall at some point. But based on posts to the forum, I don't think DSL's share either issue.

I can't recall even one post which determined that DSL boards are conducting some current. If there was an issue like with the TSL's I'm sure we'd all know about it by now.

FYI you don't have to replace the board on the TSL. There's a work around that involves carving the board away around the tubes. It's probably more trouble than it's worth but a skilled whittler could save a couple hundred bucks if he's so inclined.

Ken

Grunch

Reaction score
I already answered this. A couple of years back I bought a n.mint 2005 DSL100 and about 6 months later bought a mint flightcased JVM 410H. Within 1/2 hour with the DSL I had great crunch tone that when turned down cleaned up beautifully, searing lead tone on either o/d 1 or 2...my preference was 1. The JVM on the other hand I struggled with for weeks without getting anything like the tone I could get from the DSL, then I kept hitting the wrong footswitch, worst of all it would feedback like a banshee at modest volume....IT'S OUTTA HERE.

Lol. So for you it was just a matter of not being able to figure out a few knobs and the footswitch. Got it. :lol:

Ken

Reaction score
georgiatec-albums-new-amps-picture4954-nice-pair.jpg
:applause:

LOL I hear you. All those knobs and channels is too much for my addled brain. Nevertheless I'd pick the JVM all other things being equal. The tone is just as good as a DSL and the flexibility is compelling. My learning curve was a year with the DSL; the JVM might take two or three.

In the real world, I'd take the DSL and spend the extra $700 on some other gear though.

Ken

Grunch

Reaction score
Listen. If you can't get a DSL to sound better than a JVM chances are you need a JVM to cover up other stuff with your playing...

That's asinine. A good player will sound good on anything.

Use your heads and not your emotions, folks. I know that's asking a lot in here sometimes, but try.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's asinine. A good player will sound good on anything.

Use your heads and not your emotions, folks. I know that's asking a lot in here sometimes, but try.

I sound like you. You just insulted yourself.:D

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe more knobs are fun to you. Think something more is happening. Keep turn'n them.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok. I done troll'n. got to get some sleep. Later.:wave: