JVM and Boss NS-2 X pattern

• Thread starter SteFowkes
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

SteFowkes

Reaction score
yeah, Parallel loop is 100% wet and set at 10db. This happens with nothing but guitar to input and no loop engaged either so I`m convinced its the guitar.

today`s mission is to once over the axe, then I should be taking my rig up to my mates studio, who actually knows what he`s doing with these badboys. haha.

yeah Midway, it`s been all learning curve! it`s good though, never thought I`d be a gear geek but I`m kinda getting there. :thumb:

Pat6969, don't sweat mate. it`s to easy to take things out of context on forums as its merely words on a screen, no body language or facial expression to read. I tend not to read to much into things like that. hopefully my guitar will bring some answers today, my tb6 may need re potting or something?? cold joint, bad earth, who knows?? but I cant see the wife being too happy about me buying more pedals just yet as I`m about 1500 quid lighter from buying gear over 2 months.:erk:

iron broadsword

Reaction score
Spend $15 on a replacement 12ax7 and swap it into each slot and test. Really could just be a bad tube IMHO and it's good to have a spare to test with when problems do come up.

Pat6969

Reaction score
If u tried this already forgive me, I didn't feel like re-reading every post. Guitar to tuner, tuner to in on ns2, ns2 send to flanger in, flanger out to fx return on amp. Then go FX send to return on ns2, ns2 out to chorus in, chorus out to delay in, then delay out to amp input.

big dooley

VIP Member
Reaction score
If u tried this already forgive me, I didn't feel like re-reading every post. Guitar to tuner, tuner to in on ns2, ns2 send to flanger in, flanger out to fx return on amp. Then go FX send to return on ns2, ns2 out to chorus in, chorus out to delay in, then delay out to amp input.

that won't work... this will bypass the preamp

Pat6969

Reaction score
This is the Xpattern everyone uses with the NS2. All it does is put the time based effects after the preamp. Guitar signal still runs through the pre.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 6

SteFowkes

Reaction score
Totally stripped my axe insulated the cavities, Mounted the pups on high density foam not springs, ditched the coil splits and just wired it simple 2 hb 3way, blocked the trem springs with foam, Blah blah...

Plugged it all back in and no squeal. Sat 1 metre away with master and channel volume at 12 o clock. Rolled up and nothing!!! was squealling at those volumes with me stood in the hallway. Lol. Little lairy on red but wouldn't be that close anyway.

Just have a little bit of hum on the neck pickup.

I can rest a bit easier now cant wait to crank it a rehearsal for a test run now.

big dooley

VIP Member
Reaction score
This is the Xpattern everyone uses with the NS2. All it does is put the time based effects after the preamp. Guitar signal still runs through the pre.

The way its wired on the pic works... but thats not the way you described it earlier on

SteFowkes

Reaction score
Congratulations. Thanks for keeping us posted.

Now, it's time to play and enjoy!

yes, the real test will be at rehearsal as I cant crank my amp at all since my next door neighbour has a new born, I`ve got my lad playing his drum kit 3-4 times a week and they are cool with it so don`t want to push it. lol.

thanks for everyone`s advice and input. only thing left now is wax potting the pups.:hmm: lol.

will report back after a high volume run.:yesway:

SteFowkes

Reaction score
Well what can I say, took my whole rig to rehearsal Sunday. Cranked the hell out of it. Masters were around 7_8 pushed the gain a little to 4 and channel volumes at 6_7... no squeals, hiss or feedback apart from the controlled tonal feedback. Sounded fantastic!!! Problem was obviously the guitar unfortunately i didn't get to exatcly pin point the issue but happy none the less.

Thanks for the advice and input!

GibsonMarshallGuy47

Reaction score
I just came across this thread, and its been very helpful. up until recently, I've been switching back & forth between a Marshall MG100 (solid state), and a Peavey Valveking. my main high gain distortion came from 2 pedals I was using at the time. a few weeks ago, I got a brand new Marshall DSL-100. its been great, but I've also had some challenges with the noise coming from the ultra gain channel, when I put it on the lead 2 option, and crank the gain past 12 o'clock.

I tried putting my Boss NS-2 in the effects loop, and that only seemed to clean up about 50% of the noise (even though the red LED indicator of the NS-2 is on when I'm not playing). there still seems to be a noticeable amount of hum & hiss coming from the cranked Ultra Gain channel. not a lot, but enough to know that the NS-2 is not cleaning it up entirely. I should also mention that I use a tube screamer with the level at 11 o'clock, and the gain at 9 o'clock... the guitar I'm using is an SG with high output, passive pickups.

I plan on trying the X pattern method with the NS-2 to see if that works. I actually tried it several years ago with a completely different pedal board set-up, and different amp, and I wasn't 100% happy with the results, but that was a long time ago, and a totally different rig. I'm really curious to find out if there's any other DSL-100 players out there that also use a Boss NS-2 with it. if you do, I'd love to get some input from you.

Last edited: