Les Paul Suggestions

• Thread starter Marshall Stack
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

kidmag

Reaction score
I have a ~2013 honey burst les paul traditional. It wasn't nearly as expensive as the other probably 7 or 8 les paul's I've owned in 25 years of swapping in and out of guitars. I love the guitar. I'd recommend. Beefy neck, solid body, light, sounds big big. Did I say light, crazy light for an LP, I believe its around 8lbs - and its not weight relieved! Its a beast though and sounds great. Only thing I had to get used to was the frets were large compared to all the vintage LP's I had and I'd say the fret work isn't tops. BUT I've very versed in setting up guitars as I used to build them, and I had it dialed with nice low action, 9s, minimal buzzing, great intonation in no time - haven't adjusted her since. Also just to comment on the 2 or 3 R series goldtops I've owned, none of them seemed worth the ~$5k price and so I eventually sold them. Think I paid $1600 or so for the Traditional when it was 1 or 2 years old. The best LP I've ever owned, and I'm not pitching it here, its not for sale. :)

Goodguy

Reaction score
Have owned many LP's over the years (Standards, Traditional, Classic, Studio, etc). - The new 2019/2020 Les Paul Standards are the best guitars (and best value) Gibson has produced in 60 years IMO. My 2020 LP Standard 50's (fatter neck/lower output pups) is an amazing guitar for the price - like getting a production R8. For $2499 New and less used, the new LP Standard's are an amazing deal.
That all being said, my PRS McCarty 594 is a much better guitar than any LP I've ever played (and I'm a huge Gibson fanboy).

Watch these:

Last edited:

Clayton Custom Cabs

Reaction score
The “R” is for Reissue, Gibson Custom Shop Historic Reissue R7 (1957), R8 (1958), R9 (1959), R0 (1960).

The R9’s sell for quite a bit more than than the 7’s and 8’s, mainly because of the AAA tops.

The ‘50s necks are big and chunky. The ‘60s necks are slimmer.

The Les Paul (Standard) Traditional’s usually have the 50’s style necks and the Les Paul Classic’s usually have the slim ‘60’s neck.

I prefer the big ‘50 necks on the R7’s and R8’s. The R9’s have the slimmer necks.

I just bought a R8 and I love it. I also own a newer (Standard) Traditional with a modified 50’s neck.

The older (Standard) Traditional’s had bigger almost true 50’s neck.

View attachment 85970
Great info, thanks! I am also shopping for a LP

Brek

Reaction score
In the 15 years since your last one, it’s fair to say you are spoilt for choice, the reissues are very tidy guitars, R8 is the more reasonable end of the scale and in no way 2nd to an R9, although from 2018 on they have the slightly taller narrower frets.

As for what’s right for you, well that’s not something I would want to second guess. The reissues are the ‘purists’ for want of any other way of describing them. Since 2015 they are glued together with hide glue, the woods are supposed to be picked based on weight and tap sound, the lacquer is thinner and less plasticisers are added.

The pickups since 2019 are unpotted, again a ‘purists’ thing. If you play any kinda high gain, might want to check they won’t cause all maner of feedback gremlins. Also wax potting is not all bad, it prevents the metal from oxidising, which is part of the reason it was added, copper degrades, the thin wire probably doesn’t help, although prolly not an issue unless your playing every night in smoke filled beer throwing bars. Lol. If resale is an issue there are a couple of gochas to be aware of, 2012, feb - nov (ish) had a two layer fretboard.

In 2015 mad Henry thought is a jolly wheeze to stick the rocker tenon on the reissues and call them ‘standard’ reissues, the dealers rightly said **** you. But they are out there and best avoided for resale. The earlier historics/reissues are all stonkingly well made guitars, there have been various little tweaks to specs, shape, nothing major to rule out buying any of them. A lot of love the 2000’s reissue guitars as pretty much all are Honduran mahogany. Same applies to the classics and standards, I’ll avoid saying ‘good wood years’ as its nonsense, some are two piece bodies and some are one piece in the non historic/reissue models, the two main les Paul forums have a break down of the specs by year. I have owned and played classics, standards, and a couple custom shop sig models (page number one, I had two), R6,7,8,9,0 and there is a difference in the reissues, they have a more woody sound, lighter, and very responsive to your technique.

This is my opinion, based on a lot of reading, and shifting out of the crap that can be talked about them, there is a lot of really wrong info spouted as canon by people about the les Paul. For a great playing guitar, with hide glue in, for me the most important areas, the 2013/14 R8 Is your best bet for a great player that will hold its value without the really crazy price tag. I bought a slightly tatty 2014 for £2200 in the U.K. That was last year when prices were up.

P.s. sapient gives very good advice ref the standards and classics. Which is an area I am not so well versed in.

Last edited:

BLG

Reaction score
I bought a 2020 Slash model and it’s amazing. Everything I’ve dreamed of for the past 25 years. I wouldn’t change a thing about it. It lists for $2999 but I got it for $2599.

Mike J

Reaction score
This one is a 2011 ClassicPlus (regardless of what you see on the truss oof cover). There are just some cosmetic things I can't say "no" to. I've also owned 2 standards and a studio. This is the one I've kept. Not the deepest flame on the top, but it still looks great .

Ray Baker

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is time for me to get another Les Paul. I used to have a 78 Standard, an early 90s standard. It has been 15 years since having one.

I hear of R8 and R9 but not sure what that means and hear of 50s and 60s necks. I don't know what kind of necks or what "R" serious they were. I also see traditional and classic series. I'm willing to go up to $3500 if it will retain value. Is there a certain style, a certain time period?

Last edited:

Ray Baker

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone on the forum had a link to a video comparing an Epiphone LP, a custom Epiphone, and a Gibson LP. The burstbuckers seemed bright on the USA LP. If that the general consensus?

Also, how do you spot a fake LP?
Best and most certain way is to take of f the truss rod cover and see if it takes a allen wrench, and it will be metric in size. Gibson's have a nut.

LargeBoxSmallBox

Reaction score
For $3500 you can get a nice used 58 Reissue IMHO it’s the best you can get for that money. I have small hands but the neck suits me just fine. And you can find some spectacular tops on 58’s too. Here’s my 2014 that I got for less than $3500

Here is a 2014 R8 '58 Historic VOS in Lemonburst that I think I am going to be selling soon for about $3500. It has Bare Knuckle Mules in it right now, still have the Custom Buckers that came installed. I like the zebra pickups... Great guitar!

Below that is a '58 Les Paul Junior VOS in TV Yellow. I think I am going to be selling it soon, also, likely for about $2200. I love Custom Shop Les Pauls!

I will put them up here in the correct section, if/when I decide to sell them.

The Slash SL-5 won't be for sale, though. That is a great little amp. I put a vintage 6CA7 and a Mullard 12AX7 in it, LOL.

IMG_2959 - small.JPG

IMG_0827-GibsonLesPaulJr1.jpg

wayne856

Reaction score
i think the regular les pauls are to heavy i like the sg customs

Attachments

• 129815352_10220313921018319_8433711006849926837_o.jpg
    129815352_10220313921018319_8433711006849926837_o.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 3

Dry Toast

Reaction score
Tally another vote here for any one of a number of Custom Shop offerings:
2013 ‘58 or ‘57
True historic ‘58 or ‘57
2017 onward ‘58 or ‘57.

There’s a significant price bump to a ‘59 or ‘60, mostly around the figure in the maple top, though there are other playability differences:
- ‘57 & ‘58 have the same neck contour (biggest), same frets (narrow, but not too short)
- ‘59 has a medium neck that’s changed over time (2017 or 2018 onward matches Carmelita’s neck, a famous instrument outside the scope of this conversation) as well as bigger frets
- ‘60 has the slimmest neck, and generally “louder” paint jobs (in keeping with the fact that in LP history, this is when they stopped using infamously fadey Aniline dye, resulting in some almost neon ‘bursts), and the tuner buttons look slightly different (two little hoops on the base instead of one)

Of note: ‘57 is basically a ‘58 with only a gold top and tan (or dark) back color option. Generally cheaper b/c they get the plainest of the plain maple, since you’re not going to see it anyway.

Gibson USA instruments are fine no doubt, but Custom Shop LPs are extraordinary. They get first pick of wood (and they truly scrutinize), their manufacturing lines are under the least productivity pressure, their craftspeople are the most highly skilled, their lacquer is the thinnest and hardest, and they employ the trickier to use hot hide glue that makes for a better instrument. I could go on, but this alone is worth the price differential.

For what it’s worth, I’m seeing more than a dozen ‘58 reissues from the periods mentioned above on Reverb for around $3500 (+/- $150).

Re: pickups, anything with burstbuckers 1 & 2 are unpotted, custombuckers are wax potted until 2019, when they went back to unpotted.

Personally, I think when anyone considers an instrument of this caliber, they should take the pickups as little more than an introductory offer. They’re so easy to change, one wouldn’t want to pass up a lightning-in-a-bottle quality instrument over a couple widgets that can be swapped out in an hour by anyone with the patience to watch a YouTube video.

I know it’s risky during these times, but mask up tightly, bring some hand sanitizer, and go feel up some Custom Shop historics. If you go to a store that has a few, you will find one that speaks to you and illicits a sincere, “Holy fuck.”

Dry Toast

Reaction score
Here is a 2014 R8 '58 Historic VOS in Lemonburst that I think I am going to be selling soon for about $3500. It has Bare Knuckle Mules in it right now, still have the Custom Buckers that came installed. I like the zebra pickups... Great guitar!
I will put them up here in the correct section, if/when I decide to sell them.

View attachment 86082

View attachment 86081

Stock tuners? Done anything w/ the pots, caps, switch, harness, bridge, studs, tailpiece, or its studs?

tolm

Reaction score
You didn’t technically say it had to be a Gibson?

I bought an Epi “Inspired By” 50s LP (Goldtop) last year - and sold my Gibson CS equivalent - which allowed me to focus funds as a CS 335 as my main guitar and, I have to say, the Epi is great. Though, I were buying now, I’d be looking at one of these:

https://www.epiphone.com/Guitar/EPIM55301/1959-Les-Paul-Standard/Aged-Dark-Burst

That said, would completely understand if it has to be a Gibson!!

The Custom Shop models will feel more special and my pick of those, on balance, would probably be an R8.

However, if you like slimmer necks and plaintops, the 2000s era Classics are really good guitars. I had one that I would have held onto if only they came with 50s necks ... but I think Gibson knew they would lose CS sales if they’d done that!

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Im glad Im not tryin' to buy a Les Paul nowdays. Prices have gone crazy . I don't buy new either ...new is for cars, dad.....:lol:. And I don't go for the same ol' burst this-burst that either. I did some pricing /snooping ,just to see what's out there these days .Hard to believe dudes are asking a grand plus for a Studio ....really? I did see a few unique Custom Shop pieces that I would throw down on, if I had the money and I was lookin. Still ,prices , crazy. I have 4 Custom Shop pieces. Only one of 'em cost me over 2 grand ,and I think that was a real special piece.
Whatever ya do , avoid 2015 :eek:

^That is Les Paul perfection right there . Ive been a proponent of the Junior for just about 40 years . I go back n forth 'tween the SC /DC .Really been on the double cut kick that last couple years . My very 1st Junior was a DC 58 , originally TV ,but unfortunately by the time I got it , it was stripped n some kind of oil finish. Current is a 58 cherry screamer

Dee Mort

Reaction score
I bought a 2020 Slash model and it’s amazing. Everything I’ve dreamed of for the past 25 years. I wouldn’t change a thing about it. It lists for $2999 but I got it for $2599.

I also got a new Slash. I wanted my dream LP and it fit the bill. I tried 2 of them. Mine is around 9lbs and the other I tried was 9.5ish. Both sounded excellent. Both had some ugly work on the neck binding. But both beauties and comfy. The one that I returned had an alignment issue.

I didn't want to play the searching game, I don't care about resale. I wanted no weight relief, no thin neck, quality parts used, thick maple top. Just a good solid LP

When time allows it, I've been playing into a Dual Rec or Rockitt Retro 100 now in to a Mojotone British 412.

Last edited:

Comfort Cove

Reaction score
It is time for me to get another Les Paul. I used to have a 78 Standard, an early 90s standard. It has been 15 years since having one.

I hear of R8 and R9 but not sure what that means and hear of 50s and 60s necks. I don't know what kind of necks or what "R" serious they were. I also see traditional and classic series. I'm willing to go up to $3500 if it will retain value. Is there a certain style, a certain time period?

I have 1957 1959 1960 1970 1982 1983 1987 Les Pauls and have played and owned many many others.

The very BEST Les Pauls EVER made were in 1982, not by a slim margin by a COUNTRY MILE. Find a standard from 1982 and I swear you will never want another. And they aren't heavy like 1970s or 1990s onwards LPs either.

JMO

southbound suarez

Reaction score
I dunno?
All the new stuff with so many different varieties and such is just too confusing...... Weight relief? I just dunno?
Studio? Traditional? Classic? VOS? Standard Plus? Chambered? Weight relieved? Add some real stinkers too like Robo Guitar? Access? Ect.....
It is all very confusing and partially why I wood never buy a new or newer guitar these days.
You don't know exactly what your getting and everything is second hand speculation.
I agree with an earlier post about finding one that feels right and has the neck you like.... Don't worry about hardware or pups. (What the heck is up with those circuit board plug and play lester's anyways?) Find the wood and replace the hardware,,,, except that when spending 3.5K on a guitar you really shouldn't have to. The wood debacle too! Just how many pieces of scrap mahogany does it take to build a new Les Paul and how much maple is that carved cap?
It seems as if with the new consumer style Les Paul, that you can walk into your music store cash n carry, take home that day guitar,,,, seems not that large a jump from mediocrity. As lame as it sounds, bang for the buck, maybe a new higher end Epi might not be such a bad value for what you get....
Of course, I myself could never stoop to that low a level,,, I wont lie and even with my tongue in cheek mention this but it truly does have some prestige that goes with owning a "Real" Les Paul...
It just seems as if not much is offered in the way of a real Les Paul unless you get into the $3500 and upward custom shop guitars! The most real ones add multiple thousand to that 3500 base price. You have to purchase one of those special signature models or the special edition guitars commissioned by the Elite Custom Shop dealers.
I was outta the game for many years and I couldn't wrap my head around all of this.... Custom? What do you mean a Custom Shop Standard guitar??? But yeah, to get a "real" Les Paul in this modern era it is going to be out of the Custom Shop. Much of the "R" guitars aren't true custom guitars either, unless they're special commissioned from one of the specialty custom dealers.
A real Les Paul whether new or used seems to be starting right at that $3500 price point.
This brings me to another point....
Maybe those Norlin era guitars weren't such a bad lot after all?
Maybe I am weird or have strange tastes, but the best Les Paul I ever had was a 1978 Les Paul cherry sunburst Custom.... Yeah that bright clownburst with black pick triple layer pickgurd and triple binding, the true gold plated hardware that quickly flakes away. Freakin heavy body too! I don't know when all the heavy rock n roll types and all the bluesmen became such girly men? A real Les Paul has some decent weight!
I carried my Superlead and 1960 412 cab along with that guitar everywhere I went . All loaded up along with an occasional Twin Reverb for smaller gigs, right in the back of the ol Family Truckster Station Wagon with it's california desert sun faded, authentic vinyl simulated wood grain siding. (Good times)
The Norlin Custom lester with it's two piece solid mahogany and thick carved top was HEAVY the thick ebony board with it's flat low frets balanced it out.
The chainsaw case was pretty awesome and fully functional addition to the Custom guitar. (Saved mine when guitar was left on roof of truck and went flying across the busy intersection too!):wow:
Good times!
It is funny that as unpopular as these fretless wonders and other Norlin guitars from the 70's are,,,, the used prices aren't so funny! Many of them are right in the 3k+ priced ball park as well.....
These days to buy a new real Lester, just might take building or commissioning your own hand made Lester Fake.... Which is what I would do... So many luthiers have it down for making a spot on 59 or even using a donor guitar body as a blank canvas. That might be the route I would choose to follow.... Funny when you see these Slash signature models! Common knowledge that the guitar Slash originally used was a Luthier built Les Paul from the get go!!!!
Just my own two cents...
All this and I am confused today as to which new Les Paul Standard is the real Les Paul anyways? Do they even make a Les Paul Custom Sunburst in 2021? Can ya get it with the chainsaw case too? Who cares about the guitar,,, I just want that chainsaw case!!!! The plastic hinge tore off my original!
Thanks for letting me share and rant......
I am feeling like a grumpy old man these days!

LargeBoxSmallBox

Reaction score
Stock tuners? Done anything w/ the pots, caps, switch, harness, bridge, studs, tailpiece, or its studs?
Which one? The R8? I left everything else stock. I bought it brand new. The Junior also had a Bare Knuckle put in, I am getting that change reversed next week.

Latest posts