Lost EVH/Jose collaboration amp. Any further details?

• Thread starter RWMusic
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

RWMusic

Reaction score
In the James Brown interview on Tone Talk, he talks about the original plan for the 5150 amp. Ed was supposed to supply them with an amp that he and Jose were working on together, and they were supposed to copy it. They waited and waited, and it never showed up. Eventually they went ahead and used a SLO as a model.

It was described as having a see through brown plexiglass front. Dave Friedman claims he saw this amp in person a couple times,

A couple of months ago I was looking at a Jose facebook group, and someone on there posted a story about meeting Jose and having their amp modded. One interesting detail in the story was that Jose showed him an amp that he was working on with Eddie, and said that their goal was to get it mass produced. The guy on facebook described the amp as, you guessed it, having a see through brown plexiglass front, and looking "bad ass".

I tried searching for the post on facebook but couldn't find it again.

I think Eddie claimed he lost the amp.

I'm curious if anyone here has any more details? It must exist somewhere right?

I love stories like this. I can imagine this amp being worth quite a bit of coin if found.

EDIT: Found the facebook post:

Last edited:

pittbull

Reaction score
I believe when Eddie played the SLO he liked it a lot and liked it over the Jose modded amp

Springfield Scooter

Reaction score
Friedman also said , on Tone Talk, a few years ago, that Marshall no longer produces amplifiers in England!
Do you believe him?

Rudy v

Reaction score
I think there is no amp, jose was building a amp for Eddie but never got finished, due at the time jose passed away.

pittbull

Reaction score
There was an amp that was going to be designed by Eddie and Jose and it was going to made by Ampeg. Jose Arrendondo used to work for Ampeg and he also worked for Vox on the super beatle amp. When the Eddie/ Jose amp fell though that’s when Eddie found the Soldano SLO and Eddie made a deal with peavey and James Brown was the engineering for the 5150 using the SLO as the starting point

Last edited:

Tatzmann

Reaction score
Maybe it was in the pile of Jose's amps that
got sold to a guy associated with Cameron,
after Jose's demise.

Most of the amps were returned to stock and
sold off.

(Common internetlore.)

I did find a post somewhere with a picture showing the turretboard of "EVH's tour amp"
ontop and "EVH's Jose's Prototype amp"
underneath...

But the picture showed the same amp ontop
and underneath.

I guess it was a nonsense picture, but this mystical amp prototype probably wasnt a myth.

Karl Brake

Reaction score
Friedman also said , on Tone Talk, a few years ago, that Marshall no longer produces amplifiers in England!
Do you believe him?
Dave F...what a putz. They build some in the UK, like the JVM and the reissues I believe, just the DSL and Origin and other odds and ends made in Vietnam. Seems that all the European builders do their high end stuff at home, and job out the more entry level stuff...though the new DSLs are solid stuff...you see them on countless backlines.

Springfield Scooter

Reaction score
Dave F...what a putz. They build some in the UK, like the JVM and the reissues I believe, just the DSL and Origin and other odds and ends made in Vietnam. Seems that all the European builders do their high end stuff at home, and job out the more entry level stuff...though the new DSLs are solid stuff...you see them on countless backlines.
I absolutely love the Jose modded Marshall tones.
Ive never been a Friedman fan, but I do like the Egnater and they are built under the same roof as Friedman.
If the Brown eye BE100 tone was what I was after, Id opt for a Ceriatone AH100 instead, which has a better tone in my opinion, and a whole lot less expensive.
In my opinion, Ceriatone offers the absolute best Jose modded Marshall tones with the Yeti and Chupa models.

Tatzmann

Reaction score
If you look at it sideways...an amp envisioned
in this evh/jose prototype was in production
while they did the prototype.

Peavey VTM.

I never understood why the Edder just didnt roll with the VTM, or Ultra.

Much more snazzy than 5150, imo.

pittbull

Reaction score
Black Hand Music bought many of the left over Jose modded amps when Jose passed away Mark Cameron knew Black Hand Music store

Im247frogs

Reaction score
If the Brown eye BE100 tone was what I was after, Id opt for a Ceriatone AH100 instead, which has a better tone in my opinion
Why would a Ceriatone sound better? Not trying to be confrontational or anything, I''ve heard nothing but good things but I've also hear the transformers are best upgraded and so forth? So I'm just trying to clarify if you're saying out-of-the-box a Ceriatone sounds better and why you think that is.

pittbull

Reaction score
Ceriatone especially the chupacabra is more aggressive the the BE 100 and in my opinion more Van Halen 1 sounding

Zado

Reaction score
Why would a Ceriatone sound better? Not trying to be confrontational or anything, I''ve heard nothing but good things but I've also hear the transformers are best upgraded and so forth? So I'm just trying to clarify if you're saying out-of-the-box a Ceriatone sounds better and why you think that is.

The AH100 doesn't sound inherently better than the BE100, depends on your preference, as Nik's amp is a lil rawer and more abrasive, while the BE is more polished and smooth.

Point 2 Point

Reaction score
That clear brown Plexi amp is referenced here. 2011

Last edited:

Springfield Scooter

Reaction score
Say what you will about Friedman but goddamn this has aged terribly lol

Aged terribly?
Im not sure exactly what your refering to, but:
Nothing has changed, in reguards to Friedmans false Marshall claim, several years ago.
Friedmans false claim was on the live podcast called "Tone Talk", where he boldly stated that Marshall was "no longer producing any amplifiers in England".
Which was 100% false.
Friedmans comments caused a instant uproar by Tone Talk viewers at the time, and his false comments were quickly edited / deleted, BEFORE the podcast was uploaded to YouTube.
In addition to Marshall's existing "Made in England" products at the time, Marshall also introduced 8 additional "Studio" amplifier products, all of which were also made in England!
Even today, in 2024, Marshall still produces some (not all) amplifiers in England.
Friedman was simply spewing his HOT AIR at the time, which was certainly false, fabricated, and I suppose you could say has aged terribly!

Latest posts