Marshall Astoria....am I lost or what...?

• Thread starter Flat5th
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jcm800gridlock

Reaction score
I’ve owned all three Astoria combo models. I used the Custom exclusively with my last band. Later, I bought a Classic, and then I bought a Dual. I liked all three amps a lot, but only kept the Astoria Classic.

I kept the Classic because I didn’t use the boost or high gain (Custom), I didn’t need a two channel amp (Dual), and I prefer an old-school one-channel amp (Classic). The Classic also seemed to have the most bottom-end of the three combos. The Astoria Classic is definitely my keeper Marshall.

CD5142FD-E220-490F-B80E-F017F05FF3F0.jpeg

Last edited:

chrono

Reaction score
I’ve owned all three Astoria combo models. I used the Custom exclusively with my last band. Later, I bought a Classic, and then I bought a Dual. I liked all three amps a lot, but only kept the Astoria Classic.

I kept the Classic because I didn’t use the boost or high gain (Custom), I didn’t need a two channel amp (Dual), and I prefer an old-school one-channel amp (Classic). The Classic also seemed to have the most bottom-end of the three combos. The Astoria Classic is definitely my keeper Marshall.

View attachment 101671
Nice!

I am curious to hear if you thought there was differencies in the top end like between models? Do you recall if they have more or less high end in brightest setting ?
There is the " sensitivity" knob that imparts negative feedback in the preamp of the classic . How do you like to use that.

Was the "edge" control different ( vox style high cut) between models?

It seems very interactive on my dual.
I find my top end somewhat subdued. Will try some tubeswaps in the pre. The stock tubes are probably not in best condition in mine.

Did you tube roll?
What was your favourites?

Feel free to chime in all you Astorians out there

chrono

Reaction score

View attachment 101671
That green amp looks gorgeous too

jcm800gridlock

Reaction score
Nice!

I am curious to hear if you thought there was differencies in the top end like between models? Do you recall if they have more or less high end in brightest setting ?
There is the " sensitivity" knob that imparts negative feedback in the preamp of the classic . How do you like to use that.

Was the "edge" control different ( vox style high cut) between models?

It seems very interactive on my dual.
I find my top end somewhat subdued. Will try some tubeswaps in the pre. The stock tubes are probably not in best condition in mine.

Did you tube roll?
What was your favourites?

Feel free to chime in all you Astorians out there
The Custom seemed the brightest of the three models to me, especially with the boost engaged. I usually ran the Custom with the Master dimed, gain down lower, and use my Greer Lightspeed OD for gain. This seemed to add fullness and more bottom end at band volumes.

The Dual would be next as the second brightest Astoria. To my ears, the Classic was the less bright amp, and it had the most bottom end of my three combos.

0B2D68D6-7B7E-4C99-9761-860562B794A0.jpeg
5491B4ED-03E6-4700-91E3-F7FCB738DCFC.jpeg

Last edited:

Rick Lee

Reaction score
I would love to have one of these. I saw some good deals on all black tolex versions on my last trip to Europe. But there was no carrying one on the plane home. There's only one for sale I can find in the US on Reverb and it's local pickup only in SoCal. Too bad. I'd love one.

jcm800gridlock

Reaction score
I would love to have one of these. I saw some good deals on all black tolex versions on my last trip to Europe. But there was no carrying one on the plane home. There's only one for sale I can find in the US on Reverb and it's local pickup only in SoCal. Too bad. I'd love one.
They really are great amps. I only paid full price first Astoria. The others were on close outs. Worth watching and waiting for one to come up for sale.

Rick Lee

Reaction score
Well, I did grab that one on Reverb and am driving to ScCal in the morning to pick it up. I was thinking my Friedman DS combo wasn't cutting it for me. But then I just pulled the chassis and checked the bias. It was ice cold. I brought it up to 70%, threw in some NOS preamp tubes and it totally slays now. Will be fun to A/B with the Astoria.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never got a chance to try one out. At NAMM, when they released it, they only had left hand guitars available...

Member @PU239 had some clips (Custom), that, to me, sort of had a HiWatt flavor. It had a bit of Fender, Marshall & HiWatt all in one. I have his Kemper profiles, that he made, but, that's a little different...

For some reason his site doesn't work for me right now, so I don't know if he has the files up, or not, or, if I could even find them. He posted them, either here, or at the Roadhouse...

http://www.surfnorthwest.com
Really? When has that ever happened, only left handed guitars.

Must be @pedecamp ’s booth! :D

tidbit

Reaction score
I remember being curious when these amps came out but never saw a single one in the local stores or on stage (I didn’t have the cash for one anyway). The seemed to disappear pretty rapidly and then I completely forgot all about them until reading this thread. Now I’m kinda curious about them again.

jcm800gridlock

Reaction score
I remember being curious when these amps came out but never saw a single one in the local stores or on stage (I didn’t have the cash for one anyway). The seemed to disappear pretty rapidly and then I completely forgot all about them until reading this thread. Now I’m kinda curious about them again.
I believe that the Lead Player for Shinedown used an Astoria Custom when I last saw them quite a few years ago. Also used by Greta Van Fleet. I believe that the other guitarist with James Bay was using an Astoria Custom Combo when I saw then about 5-6 years ago.

tidbit

Reaction score
I believe that the Lead Player for Shinedown used an Astoria Custom when I last saw them quite a few years ago. Also used by Greta Van Fleet. I believe that the other guitarist with James Bay was using an Astoria Custom Combo when I saw then about 5-6 years ago.
Yeah. Local bands didn’t seem to bring them on stage. Maybe the cost was a large factor in both buying and schlepping it out to dive bars. Never saw one come up on the local Craigslist either.

Rick Lee

Reaction score
Got my Astoria today. Now the A/B comparing begins. Off to band practice tomorrow and then will take another to next weeks. So far they're both total beasts with tone for days. Astoria is slightly nicer to look at. Build quality of both are off the charts.

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
Got my Astoria today. Now the A/B comparing begins. Off to band practice tomorrow and then will take another to next weeks. So far they're both total beasts with tone for days. Astoria is slightly nicer to look at. Build quality of both are off the charts.

That would be some stereo set up. Been using my Astoria Dual combo a lot for rehearsals recently. It has the best loop of any Marshall I own. The SV20H buzzes like a hornet's nest if I use pedals with a power supply instead of batteries....not the Astoria....quiet as an angel's fart.

Rick Lee

Reaction score
I never use a loop, only run stuff out front. I just threw some 6CA7s in the Astoria, but think the KT66s sound better. Last night I threw them into the DS, but put 6L6s back in. The tinkering can go on forever with this stuff. Fortunately, I have a lot of gigs and practices coming up, so these amps are gonna get put through their paces at full volume for hours at a time.

Rick Lee

Reaction score
Just took the Astoria to band practice. Geezus, this thing is heavy. We play pretty loud in this band, so I got to wind it up real good. Still needs some dialing in between low and high power, the gain and MV, etc. But it can definitely hang with anything and feels like I'm never going to run out of power, if I need more. Taking the Friedman next week and will continue to tinker.

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
Just took the Astoria to band practice. Geezus, this thing is heavy. We play pretty loud in this band, so I got to wind it up real good. Still needs some dialing in between low and high power, the gain and MV, etc. But it can definitely hang with anything and feels like I'm never going to run out of power, if I need more. Taking the Friedman next week and will continue to tinker.
I have mine at 3 on the master in full power mode to keep up with the drummer....plenty left in the tank. I also have a 16ohm 2 x 12 with two Alnico Golds in it should I need more spread. I swapped out the speaker in mine for a 90w Alnico Creamback. You have to leave the rear blanking grille off. Sounds amazing though.

Last edited:

Jef leopard

Reaction score
Astoria dual with custom cabinets made by Sour Mash.
Loaded with Winged “C” EL34’s.
Angled cab has vintage 30’s.
Straight cab has 25w greens.
This has been my main recording/gigging amp for 3 years now.
Absolutely love it.

Attachments

• E6E7F550-C8AB-4F1A-B144-26DA7FE469DE.jpeg
    E6E7F550-C8AB-4F1A-B144-26DA7FE469DE.jpeg
    905.7 KB · Views: 9

Dean Swindell

Reaction score
I somehow while hacking around on my computer I stumbled across a new hand wired Marshall called the Astoria. I watched a couple of videos and it seems 3 models were made,or planned to be made. This appears to have been in 2015. What's up ? What did I miss ? I worked many years in music stores and was able to really stay on top of who was releasing what. However,this model does not show on Marshall's site (or if it does I missed it). Did it get made ? Is it being made ? If so what's up with it ? I can't imagine there not being a thread somewhere on this,but I have not been able to find one and when I put Astoria into the site search nothing comes up.
Anyone know what the deal is with this elusive amp ? Thanks and forgive me if I am really stupid and just don''t realize it.
The Green one is all basic vintage with zero modern features. The blue one is totally loaded and the red one is a middle ground, modded vintage type of thing. They look killer to me. The red one would suit me best except that I hate red amps.