Marshall Astoria....am I lost or what...?

• Thread starter Flat5th
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MarshallDog

Reaction score
As I understand it, Chicago Music Exchange's first Limited Edition Custom combos were actually limited to 10 units - so an actual "limited" edition. These first CME:LE's had black on black livery, gold piping, salt and pepper grills, golden anodized faceplates, and a gold CME badge on the rear. This is the version I have (it's the beauty on the left) and I plan to be buried with it. However, CME also received an order of a second run of Astoria Customs with black on black livery, black grills, silver faceplates, white piping, and no badge. These second LE's were produced in number more than 10 but less than 50, so are also quite rare. Anderton's in England received a similar colorway Custom a few months after Astoria's official production cease leading many to think the Anderton's versions were re-tolexed unsold Custom combos, but no one really knows one way or the other.

Regardless, for you jokers that need a Marshall to look like a Marshall or else it isn't a Marshall, places like Mojotone will take your fly racing striped Astoria and drop its guts into a me-too black amp cab just like your grandfather had for less than the cost of 10 years of your AARP dues. I've seen fantastic looking Astoria black cab mods that appear OEM in quality and would make a stylish place to set down your dentures while you crank it up and rock out.

Yes exactly, I had number 10 of 10 from CME. I sold mine. As I said before, it sounded good but not as good as my other vintage amps so I sold her on evilbay!

Buzzard

Reaction score
lol. Good one. I'm old but not THAT old. And I think the astoria "LOOK "is a welcome change imo.

coolidge56

Reaction score
You want a Marshall Astoria (waves Jedi hand)

giphy.gif

Flat5th

Reaction score
That would be a Rocker 30, great sounding Orange amp.
That's it and thanks for the reminder. I remember they had a tone that was a bit different from a lot of high gain oriented amps. It's been a while since I saw and heard that amp,but I remember it really caught my ears.

MarshallDog

Reaction score
lol. Good one. I'm old but not THAT old. And I think the astoria "LOOK "is a welcome change imo.

Well, it wasn’t that welcomed because they didn’t sell well and they didn’t stay in production that long...just saying!

Flat5th

Reaction score
Well, it wasn’t that welcomed because they didn’t sell well and they didn’t stay in production that long...just saying!
That is a point that can't be argued. However,beauty with sound is in the ear of the beholder.
It's been a while since i heard that amp and my playing style has changed a bit. I might not be as impressed now as I was then. Also,I didn't look around long or feel the need to spend big bucks on one. So you have a point.

Intricate77

Reaction score
It was a marketing disaster, plain and simple. Pro reviews were unanimously favorable.

I'm curious to see if Marshall unloads with both barrels ever again like they did with Astoria. They've been playing it real safe since...

Flat5th

Reaction score
It was a marketing disaster, plain and simple. Pro reviews were unanimously favorable.

I'm curious to see if Marshall unloads with both barrels ever again like they did with Astoria. They've been playing it real safe since...
A lot of amp and guitar builders need to get back to just building high quality gear and leave all the fancy shit alone. Most of the classic tones that we love were not made with complex,rocket science set ups. One of the big problems IMHO is that high volume is out of vogue and players can't push their amps into 'the promised land'.

Intricate77

Reaction score
A lot of amp and guitar builders need to get back to just building high quality gear and leave all the fancy shit alone. Most of the classic tones that we love were not made with complex,rocket science set ups. One of the big problems IMHO is that high volume is out of vogue and players can't push their amps into 'the promised land'.

But Astoria's design is far from complex or rocket science. It IS, however, elegant and refined.

Flat5th

Reaction score
But Astoria's design is far from complex or rocket science. It IS, however, elegant and refined.
Agreed. They look great under the hood. To bad amp makers can't get back to a standard like that. Not knocking pcb's as many can and do sound great. However,no pcb is as robust as nice,well done hand wiring and point to point construction.

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
Just giving this old thread a bump. Here's some photos of my Astoria Dual combo including when I swapped the valve retainers for EL34 / 6L6 types. I was trying different power tubes at the time and I think it has a pair of Winged "C" 6L6's in the shot. Also when I put an Alnico Cream speaker in it.
As others have said the looks aren't for everyone but what a totally brilliant sounding amp.
full

full

full

full

full

chrono

Reaction score
Just giving this old thread a bump. Here's some photos of my Astoria Dual combo including when I swapped the valve retainers for EL34 / 6L6 types. I was trying different power tubes at the time and I think it has a pair of Winged "C" 6L6's in the shot. Also when I put an Alnico Cream speaker in it.
As others have said the looks aren't for everyone but what a totally brilliant sounding amp.
full

full

full

full

full
That sure looks creamy and delicious!
My favs are silverbells/blues. Had gold for a while but wasnt so thrilled. How is the cream compared to the blue and gold in your opinion?

Thanks!