Marshall Astoria....am I lost or what...?

• Thread starter Flat5th
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
I thought the Custom I had had a different tone than any Marshall I'd played through. I kept it for a little bit but maybe I should've given it more time. It just didn't grab me like I expected yet I still look for used and if i ever see another one I'd like to plug in again. It was a ballsy 30 watts into its 1x12. The internals were worth staring at. Solid build.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
I never got a chance to try one out. At NAMM, when they released it, they only had left hand guitars available...

Member @PU239 had some clips (Custom), that, to me, sort of had a HiWatt flavor. It had a bit of Fender, Marshall & HiWatt all in one. I have his Kemper profiles, that he made, but, that's a little different...

For some reason his site doesn't work for me right now, so I don't know if he has the files up, or not, or, if I could even find them. He posted them, either here, or at the Roadhouse...

http://www.surfnorthwest.com

Spanngitter

Reaction score
I am proud owner of a Classic (the green one) head + 1x12 cab.
Love this Amp to death, especially as a pedal platform it is frakin great but don't expect it sound like an old Marshall (JTM/JMP), it has it's own twist and sound.
When I shot this one on a local MusicStore Blowout Sale in 2018 I was also aiming on a Dual but no luck.
Prices are outrageous now on used one here in EU, currently i could sell the head for more then i paid for the complete set :shock:

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
I never got a chance to try one out. At NAMM, when they released it, they only had left hand guitars available...

Member @PU239 had some clips (Custom), that, to me, sort of had a HiWatt flavor. It had a bit of Fender, Marshall & HiWatt all in one. I have his Kemper profiles, that he made, but, that's a little different...

For some reason his site doesn't work for me right now, so I don't know if he has the files up, or not, or, if I could even find them. He posted them, either here, or at the Roadhouse...

http://www.surfnorthwest.com

That's a good description. Had a certain chime to it.

George Dickens

Reaction score
For some reason I always thought they made the Astoria's to compete with Matchless larger instruments-like for when youre playing for the house band on the to-night show or SSL or some other really pro place- where you'd wear a nice suit of cloths,Nice classy cadillac like upholstery too. I guess. just doesnt look like the type of thing one would haul up the stage for a R&R show.
I know they were pricey but thats all. Never heard or even seen one.
Curious, What is the speciality of the the Astoria? Collecters or?
thanks

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
That sure looks creamy and delicious!
My favs are silverbells/blues. Had gold for a while but wasnt so thrilled. How is the cream compared to the blue and gold in your opinion?

Thanks!
The Cream is sweet once broken in.

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
@Georgiatec very nice . They were quite different from the average Marshall on a appearance.
By chance , have you recording any songs with your Astoria ?
This is all Astoria. Apologies for my vocals. :rolleyes:
Fixed it....put the version on with Amelia singing (waaaayy better)

Last edited:

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
This is all Astoria. Apologies for my vocals. :rolleyes:
Fixed it....put the version on with Amelia singing (waaaayy better)

Wow , you guys are better every time I hear you. The the riffs and tone, that amp could be a nice fit for me if it didn’t cost more than Honda lol. Amelia is knocking it of the park !
You guys don’t have LP recording somewhere ?

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
For some reason I always thought they made the Astoria's to compete with Matchless larger instruments-like for when youre playing for the house band on the to-night show or SSL or some other really pro place- where you'd wear a nice suit of cloths,Nice classy cadillac like upholstery too. I guess. just doesnt look like the type of thing one would haul up the stage for a R&R show.
I know they were pricey but thats all. Never heard or even seen one.
Curious, What is the speciality of the the Astoria? Collecters or?
thanks

Steve Dawson designed it as pretty much all a gigging player would need. Portable, good power, power reduction for practice and very little maintenance.

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
Wow , you guys are better every time I hear you. The the riffs and tone, that amp could be a nice fit for me if it didn’t cost more than Honda lol. Amelia is knocking it of the park !
You guys don’t have LP recording somewhere ?
I "only" paid £1100 for mine, slight dent on the front of the cab. Thanks for the kind words and taking the time to listen.
If you have Spotify Amelia's band Bad Heritage have two tracks on there.

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
I had the custom combo for a while , the Andertons edition ( black with white piping ) . Wanted to love it but unfortunately it didn’t really do it for me , it was ultimately just too boomy for my liking . Was much better after replacing the kt66’s with el34’s but still not tight enough with enough string separation , fair amount of gain in it to be fair . Great for a bit of Zep etc , it’s the amp Greta Van Fleets guitarist uses .

Latest posts