Marshall Astoria....am I lost or what...?

• Thread starter Flat5th
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jcm800gridlock

Reaction score
I’ve owned all three Marshall Astoria combo models. I used the Custom with my last band and it always sounded really good. I also owned the Dual and the Classic.

At the time, I couldn’t justify keeping all three Astoria’s, so I sold the Custom and the Dual. I kept the Classic because it was the most old-school of the three and seemed to have the most bottom end. My Astoria Classic is definitely my keeper Marshall.

77D0E00A-67D4-4C13-897E-232894BFECC0.jpeg

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
I’ve owned all three Marshall Astoria combo models. I used the Custom with my last band and it always sounded really good. I also owned the Dual and the Classic.

At the time, I couldn’t justify keeping all three Astoria’s, so I sold the Custom and the Dual. I kept the Classic because it was the most old-school of the three and seemed to have the most bottom end. My Astoria Classic is definitely my keeper Marshall.

View attachment 103778
I love the green!

Reminds me of an old timey English race car.

Flat5th

Reaction score
Feel like I missed the boat on these but they were very pricey and gone in the blink of an eye.
Glad to see my post is still alive and generating some feedback between players, I haven't been on site lately because I have been busier teaching than really playing. Yea, the Astoria obviously got by me because I didn't even hear about them until I stumbled across some obscure ad a couple of years after they were discontinued. I would still like to take a test drive if I every run across one. 30 watts with cathode bias, easily changeable tubes and Marshall tone really sounds like fun. Maybe Marshall will try that route again sometime or another. I think there is always a market for high end, solid components , and well built pinto to point work. Yes, many PCB's sound great, but we all have to admit they are not as durable as well built hand wired gear. It was nice to see Marshall CAN still do good work if they choose to. Keep it groovy.....

Flat5th

Reaction score
Glad to see my post is still alive and generating some feedback between players, I haven't been on site lately because I have been busier teaching than really playing. Yea, the Astoria obviously got by me because I didn't even hear about them until I stumbled across some obscure ad a couple of years after they were discontinued. I would still like to take a test drive if I every run across one. 30 watts with cathode bias, easily changeable tubes and Marshall tone really sounds like fun. Maybe Marshall will try that route again sometime or another. I think there is always a market for high end, solid components , and well built pinto to point work. Yes, many PCB's sound great, but we all have to admit they are not as durable as well built hand wired gear. It was nice to see Marshall CAN still do good work if they choose to. Keep it groovy.....
Oh....I get weird vibes about things sometimes that turn out accurate. I know. Hocus, pocus shmocus. But something tells me, judging by the post and comments about this amp that there is a big secret to good tone with this amp. Pairing it with the RIGHT speakers. Sometimes speakers make a world of difference, sometimes not so much. Just a thought that hit me. .....Pray for the tube supply with all the BS going on.

mtbcn

Reaction score
I currently use a JTM45RI and a Vahlbruch Kaluna for edge of breakup crunch.

There's an Astoria Classic combo for sale 3 hours away. How does the Astoria's cleans compare with a JTM45?

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
I currently use a JTM45RI and a Vahlbruch Kaluna for edge of breakup crunch.

There's an Astoria Classic combo for sale 3 hours away. How does the Astoria's cleans compare with a JTM45?
I have the Dual not the classic, but the clean channel of the Dual is supposed to be close to the Classic. The Astoria has less sag than my JTM45 (I have a 1962RI combo). The tone of the Astoria is more controllable than the JTM simply because of it's Master Volume....Not sure if the Classic has a MV though. I can say the Dual is my go to amp to record clean tones though. :thumbs:

Essexmark

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm new to the forum, and new to playing again after a break from guitars for over 10 years due to family and work. Just bought a NOS Astoria Dual combo here in the UK and absolutely adore it. I wanted a Bluesbreaker but the size and weight was off putting. The Dual is everything I want in amp re tone, quality and yeah looks.

MarshallDog

Reaction score
Hello all. I'm new to the forum, and new to playing again after a break from guitars for over 10 years due to family and work. Just bought a NOS Astoria Dual combo here in the UK and absolutely adore it. I wanted a Bluesbreaker but the size and weight was off putting. The Dual is everything I want in amp re tone, quality and yeah looks.
Welcome aboard new MF’r and congrats on your new amp! Did you introduce yourself in the new member section, if not it might be a good idea!?

Essexmark

Reaction score
Welcome aboard new MF’r and congrats on your new amp! Did you introduce yourself in the new member section, if not it might be a good idea!?
Hi mate. Thanks for welcome. I haven't introduced myself. Bit remiss of me, will do so later today. Thank you!

MW110

Reaction score
Hi Astoria lovers,
I am thinking about selling my Astoria Custom + 1x12 Astoria cab. All original, mint condition. What do you think would be a reasonable price? Footswitch and covers are included.
Thank you for your help!

Attachments

• E0C272A3-A41E-42EF-8575-5ECF680FFA9B.jpeg
    E0C272A3-A41E-42EF-8575-5ECF680FFA9B.jpeg
    646.2 KB · Views: 4

Crikey

Reaction score
Hi Astoria lovers,
I am thinking about selling my Astoria Custom + 1x12 Astoria cab. All original, mint condition. What do you think would be a reasonable price? Footswitch and covers are included.
Thank you for your help!
i'll save you from it for $500. lol!

jcm800gridlock

Reaction score
I’ve owned all three Astoria models. All hand-wired, 30/5 watts, and running KT66 power tubes. All really good sounding amps. I used an Astoria Custom (red) with a band for over a year.

I kept the Astoria Classic Combo. The Classic is the old-school model, with no loop, and seemed to have the most bottom-end of the three Astoria models. It is my keeper Marshall.

I’ve since re-housed the Astoria Classic combo in a Bluesbreaker style 2x12 with vintage Blackbacks.

If Marshall made these in a more traditional Marshall style cab they would have sold many more Astoria’s.

Original Astoria cab and my new Astoria cab.

D642F3D3-B0F6-4654-8704-AF78A8966D8A.jpeg
52C134FA-8377-4F62-BCCA-E986B5E8B12B.jpeg

Last edited:

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’ve owned all three Astoria models. All hand-wired, 30/50 watts, and running KT66 power tubes. All really good sounding amps. I used the Astoria Custom (red) with a band for over a year.

I kept the Astoria Classic Combo and it is my keeper Marshall. This is the old school modeI.

I’ve since re-housed the Astoria Classic in a Bluesbreaker style 2x12 with vintage Blakbacks.

If Marshall made these in a more traditional Marshall style cab they would have sold many more Astoria’s.

View attachment 117953
View attachment 117952
Yeah that looks great man, much better to my eyes!

MarshallDog

Reaction score
I’ve owned all three Astoria models. All hand-wired, 30/50 watts, and running KT66 power tubes. All really good sounding amps. I used the Astoria Custom (red) with a band for over a year.

I kept the Astoria Classic Combo and it is my keeper Marshall. This is the old school modeI.

I’ve since re-housed the Astoria Classic in a Bluesbreaker style 2x12 with vintage Blakbacks.

View attachment 117953
View attachment 117952
I agree 100%, they were ugly! I had the CME Custom in black! Looked better but in the end I sold it and got an old school 1974 MKIi 2204 NMV!

eigentone

Reaction score
Hi Astoria lovers,
Thank you for your help!
They don't come up very often here in the US. For good reason. GC has a head listed at $2500. I think that is a bit high but it only takes one buyer. I figure $2500-$3000 for a private sale for the set, unless you want to move it quickly or get top dollar.

msgdp

Reaction score
Great amps but like several other models - Studio 15(1986-92; 500 made) Slash SL5C( 2013, <1,000) they were a limited run.

sri

Reaction score
Loop and Boost foot-switchable, 30/5 watt modes, takes any Octal tube, does not require biasing its cathode biased so plug and play. I'm using EL34's and KT66's.
Valve rolling plug and play? It is not really the case. The cathode resistors in the stock amp are calculated to cause a voltage increase at the cathodes such that the ground referenced grid voltage is more negative by just the right range to control the current flow through the valve. EL34, KT66 are different and need a different voltage differential between cathode and grid to maintain current in the right range. Run with the wrong valves and you get output valves running too cold or too hot. Next issue is load. A pair of KT66 ideally need an 8K load though around 6k is often used. A pair of EL34s need 3.4Kish at the voltages the Astoria must run at. I assume the stock transformer is in the 6 to 8k range and so too high a load for safe use with EL34s.

Last edited: