Marshall DSL20HR - Tube Recommendations

• Thread starter ronmail65
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ronmail65

Reaction score
In the past I've had great success in refining the tone of my DSL40C by swapping out the preamp tubes. I'm looking to improve the tone of a DSL20HR now...
- Today I run the Treble all the way down and yet it's still too much treble sometimes. So I'd like to get more rounded tones
- I like the character of the gain - I'd just like to have less of it.

The higher gain channel is just too much, and gets too thin with gain dialed down to almost nothing. Yet the cleaner channel doesn't quite get where I need to be even when dimed. I guess I'd like to reach a gain level that somewhere in between by taming the drive channel.

Recommendations?

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the past I've had great success in refining the tone of my DSL40C by swapping out the preamp tubes. I'm looking to improve the tone of a DSL20HR now...
- Today I run the Treble all the way down and yet it's still too much treble sometimes. So I'd like to get more rounded tones

The higher gain channel is just too much, and gets too thin with gain dialed down to almost nothing. Yet the cleaner channel doesn't quite get where I need to be even when dimed. I guess I'd like to reach a gain level that somewhere in between by taming the drive channel.

Recommendations?

Try an ECC823 in V1 (I think JJ is the only one that makes these, but could be wrong).
It tames the Ultra Gain channel like an ECC82/12AU7, while leaving the Classic Gain at the ECC83/12AX7.
Got one on my DSL20HR ~ V1, and it works perfect for me.

Not sure about an overall treble tamer, the DSL20s are just kinda like that I think.
But, I'd be interested in doing the same.
Perhaps someone who is smarter than me will chime in.

Monstercastle

Reaction score
Today I run the Treble all the way down and yet it's still too much treble sometimes.
What kind of speakers are you using? Single coil or humbucker guitar? The JJ's that likely shipped with the amp are generally darker sounding pre-amp tubes, so I'm surprised that even with the treble down you think it's too much. I generally like Chinese (well tested, like TAD 7025) in Marshall gain stages, but with the DSL20HR the JJ's were just fine.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score

Recommendations?
Put a JJ ECC823 in V1, leave the rest of the tubes alone. Get a pair of greenbacks. :yesway:

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Recommendations?
There are a number of lower gain preamp tubes that will help tame the gain in the red channel of your Dsl20. I've used 12AT7s' and 5751s' in different amps to do just that, they do work well as you know. You just need to find the best position to install one, I'd start with V1. Here's a chart showing the gain values of some of these tubes,...

dslman

Reaction score
Agree with the 5751 , I have one in V2 on a DSL100H and it slams.
I couldn't get my dsl20hr tight enough in the bottom , so it had to go.
Not sure a tube would have fixed my problem.

ronmail65

Reaction score
What kind of speakers are you using? Single coil or humbucker guitar? The JJ's that likely shipped with the amp are generally darker sounding pre-amp tubes, so I'm surprised that even with the treble down you think it's too much. I generally like Chinese (well tested, like TAD 7025) in Marshall gain stages, but with the DSL20HR the JJ's were just fine.

The cab I primarily use has a pair of G12H30s. I use the same cab with other amps and don't have the pronounced treble like I do with the DSL.

The guitars I primarily use are Teles w/ Fender Vintage Noiseless PUP. I also have some humbucker guitars. The treble is very strong regardless of guitar.

ronmail65

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback and recommendations.

I have some tubes in the mail that I plan to test with; GT 12AY7, JJ 12AT7 / ECC81. I probably should have ordered a 12AU7 while I was at it. I'll give these a try and report back - maybe I'll record some before and after tests.

ronmail65

Reaction score
QUESTION - I've not been able to find a map of the tubes (which tube position is V1, V2, V3). Can anyone clarify for me? Thanks, Ron

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
QUESTION - I've not been able to find a map of the tubes (which tube position is V1, V2, V3). Can anyone clarify for me? Thanks, Ron
V1 is closest to the input jack - furthest from the power tubes.
V2, V3 as you go toward the power tubes.