Multi Effect Unit or Seperate Pedals

• Thread starter Antony75
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Antony75

Reaction score
So the question is, do I stick with my current seperate set up or look at maybe getting a multi effet unit for ease of use?

I've currently got a Boss tuner, Crybaby, Monte Allums Super Overdrive, MXR Phase, Boss Super Chorus, Boss Digital Delay and an MXR Boost. However, with a couple of band practices a week and starting to play regular gigs from the end of this year, I'm thinking about selling them all off and maybe getting something like the Boss ME-70 or GT-10 so its easier to set up and carry around.

What do you guys think about the pros and cons of each? Are the Boss multi effects good units, and would it compare as well as my current set up or am I best sticking to what I've got?

Bluemoon78

Reaction score
I used to have the GT-8, but after spending a long time programming it and editing things I realised I wasn't playing guitar anymore. I gave up and went back to pedals. Multi's are easier for carrying and connecting up, but distract you from what you are really trying to do, play.

jag-man

Reaction score
I use the GT10 with my JVM hooked up in 4 cable method! I'd suggest the gt10 over the me70, though...
I use it like a pedal board, i engage the manual mode with an external control pedal and i use the gt10,s pedals to toggle effects on and off... I use the preset mode only when I want to switch channels on my JVM, since I connected it to the gt10 with a midi cable and use the midi switching feature of the JVM... the DSL hasn't got midi, but you can connect your dsl fooswitch jack to the gt10 amp control jack and you can switch channels from the gt10 and even save the channel for each preset!
The effects are really good quality and sound great! Don't look at the amp modeling, you have the DSL that does the amp sound!!
From your pedal board i'd keep the overdrive pedal, though!

jag-man

Reaction score
I use the GT10 with my JVM hooked up in 4 cable method! I'd suggest the gt10 over the me70, though...
I use it like a pedal board, i engage the manual mode with an external control pedal and i use the gt10,s pedals to toggle effects on and off... I use the preset mode only when I want to switch channels on my JVM, since I connected it to the gt10 with a midi cable and use the midi switching feature of the JVM... the DSL hasn't got midi, but you can connect your dsl fooswitch jack to the gt10 amp control jack and you can switch channels from the gt10 and even save the channel for each preset!
The effects are really good quality and sound great! Don't look at the amp modeling, you have the DSL that does the amp sound!!

EDIT: oooops, sorry for the double post :confused:

Antony75

Reaction score

Is the board fairly intuituve to use? i.e. is it simple enough for me to use without having to go into loads of user settings to get the sounds that I'm looking for? Reason I ask is that I used to have a Digitech GNX4 which was an absolute bitch to use, was constantly tweaking it and had a huge user manual. I ended up getting rid of it and moving to separate pedals.

Khaos

Reaction score
I like seperate pedals because multi-fx tend to have less quality effects. Well that can be biased, but in the end it's a matter of preference.
Another thing is that in my opinion multi-fx is better for heavy effects, and by heavy I mean those players who base theire tone around various kinds of effects and have always some effects on.And usually is more for a more synthetic kind of sounds IMO.
In my case I'm just a beginner but I like a various types of effects but I don't base my playing.
In the end just choose what you prefer.

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
So the question is, do I stick with my current seperate set up or look at maybe getting a multi effet unit for ease of use?

I've currently got a Boss tuner, Crybaby, Monte Allums Super Overdrive, MXR Phase, Boss Super Chorus, Boss Digital Delay and an MXR Boost. However, with a couple of band practices a week and starting to play regular gigs from the end of this year, I'm thinking about selling them all off and maybe getting something like the Boss ME-70 or GT-10 so its easier to set up and carry around.

What do you guys think about the pros and cons of each? Are the Boss multi effects good units, and would it compare as well as my current set up or am I best sticking to what I've got?

Hello.
What amp are or will be using?

First, the easy question: are the boss multi-effects good units? Generally speaking, they are all pretty good, but some are better than others. At present of what Boss has to offer in multi-effects units, I'd say the GT10 is best. The quality of the effects is great, you are given sufficient eq control over the sound, and you are given a good modeler that you can turn on and off. You also get to save your settings as a preset, so instead of rushing to turn one effect on and another off, all you have to do is program on footswitch to do this for you (I also think that the footswitch doubles as a MIDI footswitch if your amp has MIDI capability like a Marshall JVM series or the 6100LE. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I do think that the GT10 allows you to save your settings to a computer and perform a backup if necessary. Most of the effects you have on your pedal board will be found on the GT10.

Deciding if multi-effects is right for you is something you need to sit down and evaluate carefully. Bottom line is that if you are not going to use them, then what's the point? But if you do use fx in most songs, if you think you will be writing/playing more music where fx are playing a larger roll, if you will be playing out more, and if you you think you will be recording soon, then multi-effects might be right for you.

The biggest advantage of a good multi-effects unit is that you can cut down on the clutter and setup/break down time. The disadvantage is that you may be locked into one brand of fx, which may or may not be a good thing.

If you going to get a multi-effects unit, purchase one that give you lots of control over the sound (i.e. levels, tone, drive, repeats, time, eq, master volume/level, amp simulation or direct input, etc.); this really helps you get the tone you want and tweak it. I also recommend getting a multi-effects unit that allows you to save your settings to a computer and perform backups very easily and quickly! I also think that multi-effects units that have MIDI capability are a huge asset if your amp already has MIDI capability! Finally, most good multi-effects units come with a tap tempo delay button and an expression pedal (expression pedals on multi-effects units are usually reserved for wah wah or volume swell effects, but they can sometimes be programmed to control a variety of pramaters such as delay time, regeneration, sweep, etc.

I have 2 multi-effects that are god sends for my purposes. Both have usb interfaces, so my settings can be saved on a computer and backed up as necessary. I organize my backups into to categories: FX without a modeler, and FX with a modeler. I generally use FX without a modeler since I am using my amp, a JVM410H, and intergrate the FX through the amp's FX loop. But, should my amp ever go down (luckily, it hasn't yet), I can:

a) quickly grab my laptop
b) plug in my multi-effects unit via usb
c) load the backup with modeler (less than 1 minute to complete)
d) disconnect the multi-effects from the computer and plug the modeler directly into the house PA
e) finish the gig with sounds that I have prearranged to my liking, but that I can tweak for the venue dynamics and/or house pa system.

Aint no lie that the better mult-effects units cost more ($300 and up), but you can get some good stuff used. Line 6, Boss, Digitech, and TC Electronic are the companies that are really developing multi-effects units at present (I do stop and say that I am purposely not getting into rack effects, which is a whole other ball of wax.

If you have any more questions, you can ask here or pm me. Good luck.

JayCM800

Reaction score
Depends on what type of music you play.

If you need cleans, plus "dirt" and swirly, twirly, artsy, layered textures get a good multi-fx.

If you only need a couple or few basic but good tones some choice pedals would be best.

trigmachine

Reaction score
i'd say stay away from the me-70 very un-inspiring and not very useable in a gig setting in my opinion, i never liked the gt-8 so im guessing i wont like the gt-10 plus i didnt need amp modelling. Im currently using an Alesis quadraverb into the loop of dsl 50 and a midi footswitch to change between patches, i only use chorus, reverb and delay patches and an mxr phase 90 infront of the amp ( i just like it better there ).

Ive never liked any overdrives in multi fx, I'd say the best rig out there just now is a the TC Electronic G system which i'l probably go for fairly soon, The TC electronic nova system is also a good buy but you can only run it through the loop or in front of the amp ( actually i lied earlier the nova system has a good od/ distortion)

Frankie

Reaction score
Just get a pedal board, man. It's just as easy to carry as a multi effects unit, but sounds better and is usually easier to dial in. I use one of these:

Gator Cases is the manufacturer of musical instrument and audio visual cases - Pedal Board w/ Carry Bag & Power Supply (GPT-BL-PWR)

But they make a ton of other boards:
Gator Cases | Products - Pedal Boards and Stands

I use Gator since they're a Tampa-based company and because they have killer customer service. Those guys let me come to their corporate office and pick up a replacement power supply, that I broke mind you, just so I could have one in time for the gig I was playing that night. Grade A service!

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score
i'd say stay away from the me-70 very un-inspiring and not very useable in a gig setting in my opinion, i never liked the gt-8 so im guessing i wont like the gt-10 plus i didnt need amp modelling. Im currently using an Alesis quadraverb into the loop of dsl 50 and a midi footswitch to change between patches, i only use chorus, reverb and delay patches and an mxr phase 90 infront of the amp ( i just like it better there ).

Ive never liked any overdrives in multi fx, I'd say the best rig out there just now is a the TC Electronic G system which i'l probably go for fairly soon, The TC electronic nova system is also a good buy but you can only run it through the loop or in front of the amp ( actually i lied earlier the nova system has a good od/ distortion)

yep , spot on with that id say !!

The TC G system is the top of the line for guitar F/X from what i've read etc .
I have played on a TC Nova System , and its pretty good all around imo !! but its down fall is its lack of an F/X loop , so as mentioned above , you have to pick infront or in the loop !!

Steve Via a few years back got rid of all his rack gear and now uses the G system and a few assorted pedals for his live rig , so that has to tell you something about the quality & ability of the G system !!!

here in Canada they are about 1500$ , so not cheap !!

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score
I have not played or even heard a Boss GT10 , so i can't comment on it , but i have run the gamit with the Boss GT realm , and i would have to say for quality of f/X , the Boss GT3 that i have right now probably sounds the best interms of warmth , clarity etc .
I have owned the 5 , 6 , 8 and now the 3 !!!!!

Boss says the GT3 has the most analog circuits of all the GT units ( I don't know if this includes the newer GT10 ? )

its a very stripped down version that does not have as many bells & whistles as the other GT units , but if you are like me and don't use a ton of F/x , then its a good choice if your budget is tight and you just are looking for some good basic delays , reverbs , chorus's ....

it also has the smallest foot print of all the Boss GT series units from that era .....

bulldozer1984

Everybody's Favorite Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I have a TC Electronics NOVA SYSTEM and i wouldnt have it any other way.. Try buying tuner, EQ, boost, chorus, reverb, delay, phase, flanger, octaver etc. etc. pedals for $400 !! I bought mine used in mint condition..

And then you gotta turn them on one at a time, where as a multi-fx you can create patches..

Risamaru

Reaction score
I use a ME70 going in to the FX loop of a JCM 800 2210 and 4210. It works great Imo. But i only use it for the Tuner, Volume Pedal ,4band EQ, Chorus/mods and Delay, Everything else is basically a waste when using a Amp. But i love the chorus and delays on the pedal it really brings the 800 to life for solos and clean parts. The Delays have the Tempo tap so you can get the delay to match the song perfectly.

The reason i went this route is that i use the ME70 to record in to my computer for Writing/demo purpose's. Risamaru | Ledyard, CT | Rock / Metal /Rock/Alternative/Classical / Underground Beats / Production/Film Ocherstration | Music, Lyrics, Songs, and Videos | ReverbNation
It has the Amp sims which dont sound to bad(compared to Line 6). Setup is basically as simple as using regular pedals. I setup my sound with the Manual mode and save as presets so i can change sounds with one press of a pedal.

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score
The TC Nova System's f/x are top notch , and i think most would agree that you would be hard pressed to find individual pedals that can sound like the Nova System !

You get all the best quality guitar FX in one box for 400 $ That's crazy to think .....but its true !!!

Those you who have never heard a Nova System , go check one out .......you will be amazed , i know i was !

rjtm

Reaction score
Just get a pedalboard itll make it easier to carry around

Salsg

Reaction score
I use a Line 6 HD500 and I am very happy with it. For my 6100 and JVM I don't need to use the amps' footswitches anymore since both are MIDI and easily programmed thru the HD500. I use it for FX only, and as an emergency backup.
I had a GT10 for a short time, and I definitley prefer the HD500.
One feature that is great on the HD500 is the pedalboard feature, where you can program up to 8 effects, and turn them on/off just like a pedalboard, and you can choose the order, in front or in loop (at the same time, some fx can be up front while others are in the loop)

I still have pedals (Aqua Puss Delay, SD-1, MXR Micro Amp, ISP G String, Vox Wah V846) but I never use them

What's really cool is I can run the amps stereo, and the HD500 will switch cahnnels on both my 6100 and JVM at the same time.

johnfv

Reaction score
I have done everything from no effects to elaborate custom switching systems. I don't know about the Boss units but I recently got the TC Nova System and it is excellent - sounds great, easy to use, nice price.

Latest posts