My speakers are farting

• Thread starter ElectricMagick
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ElectricMagick

Reaction score
I have a 100 Watt SLP and when I play on channel one and two after volume 5 through the neck humbucker, my two 60 watt Vintage 30's with hemp cones .... fart.
Why? What can I do about it?
Its fine when its below 5 and I'm playing clean with some dirt.

eljeffebrown

Reaction score
Banding, Snorkeling, High Speed Line Skipping, Boo
Here, give them this.................

beano1.jpg

or.....

set your amp up correctly. :) start with everything at 5, and try again. now back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Ydna

In Memorandum
Reaction score
Try screwing with the EQ. Roll off the bass, if you're jumping channels, try a bit less of channel 2.

george76

Reaction score
check for loose spiders on the speakers. sounds like a possibility to me.

Speaker3.jpg

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
check for loose spiders on the speakers. sounds like a possibility to me.

Speaker3.jpg
that's what i thought. the only farting speakers i ever had had loose parts. that or i was running a fart noise into them.

chuckharmonjr

In Memorandum
Reaction score
About as far south in Alabama as you can go withou
Something else to consider...thats 2 60 watt speakers being hit with a 100watt TUBE amp...thats 100 watts clean wave rated....you can easily damned near double that 100 watts when pushing it distorted into break-up...which on your amp should start really good at about 5..which is where you're having troubles...a100 watter can easily push 160-180 watts when cranking it.

Rahlstin

Reaction score
If your speakers fart its because they have GAS. If they have GAS, they are telling you to buy more GEAR. This is my scientific analysis for you.... no charge...

madmmx

Reaction score
Did you checkif the speaker screws are tight? Dont over tighten them but maybe something is loose. You could also try swapping positions of the speakers and rotating them 180 degrees. Maybe cones are rubbing. Sometimes rotating them can fix it. Cones could start rubbing if they where over tightened and bent the cages

TubeStack

Reaction score
Something else to consider...thats 2 60 watt speakers being hit with a 100watt TUBE amp...thats 100 watts clean wave rated....you can easily damned near double that 100 watts when pushing it distorted into break-up...which on your amp should start really good at about 5..which is where you're having troubles...a100 watter can easily push 160-180 watts when cranking it.

Yep, that's exactly what I was going to say. A 1959SLP will be hitting 100W at around 3-4 on the volume knob. The 60W V30s could be overloading when it's at 5 or higher.

Although, some say Celestions are rated very conservatively and can handle much more than the official rating, and the Marshall-labeled V30s in the AV/BV cabs are labelled 70W each... but it's certainly something to consider.

cagamp1

Reaction score
I'm waiting for a punch line.:lol:

On another note, my brother use to record his fart noises...hilarious.

ElectricMagick, can you record yours so we might hear?

eljeffebrown

Reaction score
Banding, Snorkeling, High Speed Line Skipping, Boo
Dude seriously, set your entire amp ALL THE KNOBS except the volume ones at "5" and then start playing. turn your volume up. At this point if the problem is fixed your amp was set up incorrectly, if not, start looking at other things as in loose handles and ripped spiders on speakers, do the simple things first then do the hard things NOT visa versa! sheesh! :)

ElectricMagick

Reaction score
I set everything to 5 and it farted a little bit on channel 2 (neck pup). I checked the spiders and they were fine. I think the amp is just too powerful.

cagamp1

Reaction score
I set everything to 5 and it farted a little bit on channel 2 (neck pup). I checked the spiders and they were fine. I think the amp is just too powerful.

2554...50 watts...one Vintage speaker...I can crank it way past 5 with my bass on 10 and the only thing vibrating like butt cheeks are my walls.

Swap the speakers out with a test set or someone elses cab to see what happens. Maybe your speakers have internal problems. What kind of box/cab do you have?

Still waiting for the punch line.