• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

NAD: Friedman JJ Junior (holy moly!)

Guitarjon

Reaction score
Today I'm a happy guy because I can finally say that I own a Friedman amp!

People have been telling me to get a Friedman amp for quite a while but they're not cheap so it took me a while to get one. I had a Kemper stage for a few months but sold it since I didn't use it. Then I ordered a QC but the wait took too long. Then I just decided to get another amp and I should have done this in the first place because this amp is insane!

I have a bunch of Marshalls and some Marshall-style amps and those are all cool. Kind of raw sounding. This Friedman JJ Jr sounds more tight, focused, refined, clear and high gain. It's chunky, but not super saturated like an EVH for example. No matter how much gain you use, the tone always stays very focused and defined so you can always hear every single note. Don't get me wrong, I still love my Marshalls, it;s just a different sound. Both are great!

The clean channel is cool! Limited controls but more than enough to get some beautiful cleans! The bright switch really helps with that. I also like how you can get quite a bit of overdrive out of this channel. I usually prefer that over squeeky clean.

The BE mode on the lead channel is punchy, mid forward and very articulate. A great sound for classic rock etc. The JBE mode really kicks it up with more gain and saturation and this mode is just great for heavier rock and even metal. Like I said though it really has it's own sound. It won't sound like a Rectifier or 5150 etc, this amp is much more clear and focused sounding but that's what I love about it!

Anyway, here's my demo & review with some thoughts and tones. I'd love to know your thoughts on this amp!

Michael Roe

Reaction score
Sounds great! Love the tight growl in the JBE mode.
I wish I would have seen this vid about a week ago. I cancelled my Neural QC order and exchanged it for a PRS S2 594........wish I would have gotten this instead.

Guitarjon

Reaction score
Sounds great! Love the tight growl in the JBE mode.
I wish I would have seen this vid about a week ago. I cancelled my Neural QC order and exchanged it for a PRS S2 594........wish I would have gotten this instead.

What's wrong with the PRS??

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Today I'm a happy guy because I can finally say that I own a Friedman amp!

People have been telling me to get a Friedman amp for quite a while but they're not cheap so it took me a while to get one. I had a Kemper stage for a few months but sold it since I didn't use it. Then I ordered a QC but the wait took too long. Then I just decided to get another amp and I should have done this in the first place because this amp is insane!

I have a bunch of Marshalls and some Marshall-style amps and those are all cool. Kind of raw sounding. This Friedman JJ Jr sounds more tight, focused, refined, clear and high gain. It's chunky, but not super saturated like an EVH for example. No matter how much gain you use, the tone always stays very focused and defined so you can always hear every single note. Don't get me wrong, I still love my Marshalls, it;s just a different sound. Both are great!

The clean channel is cool! Limited controls but more than enough to get some beautiful cleans! The bright switch really helps with that. I also like how you can get quite a bit of overdrive out of this channel. I usually prefer that over squeeky clean.

The BE mode on the lead channel is punchy, mid forward and very articulate. A great sound for classic rock etc. The JBE mode really kicks it up with more gain and saturation and this mode is just great for heavier rock and even metal. Like I said though it really has it's own sound. It won't sound like a Rectifier or 5150 etc, this amp is much more clear and focused sounding but that's what I love about it!

Anyway, here's my demo & review with some thoughts and tones. I'd love to know your thoughts on this amp!

Wait a minute! I thought last week you said the Peavey Invective was the end all be all of amps! :shrug:

Guitarjon

Reaction score
Wait a minute! I thought last week you said the Peavey Invective was the end all be all of amps! :shrug:

In terms of my general style, which is kind of broad (clean to heavy metal) the Invective would probably be my desert island amp as it can do anything. That doesn't mean that this JJ isn't amazing in its own right!

Michael Roe

Reaction score
What's wrong with the PRS??
The PRS is ok, it's different enough compared to my LP that it will be useful. It does the metal thing better, I guess :) I really like the neck profile but I'm not sure I really like the scale length of 24.594. I may have to try some heavier gauge strings with it.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
In terms of my general style, which is kind of broad (clean to heavy metal) the Invective would probably be my desert island amp as it can do anything. That doesn't mean that this JJ isn't amazing in its own right!
Just messing with you buddy, Ha! :yesway:

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
Seriously now , I’m absolutely loving my Runt 50 head it totally nails the modded Marshall thing ( and some) which is perfect for my needs . I seriously considered the jj jr and would definitely like to try one , and all the rest of the Friedman amps to be fair , lol .

rick16v

Reaction score
Seriously now , I’m absolutely loving my Runt 50 head it totally nails the modded Marshall thing ( and some) which is perfect for my needs . I seriously considered the jj jr and would definitely like to try one , and all the rest of the Friedman amps to be fair , lol .

I feel the same about mine. Need volume to get the bottom end working on the drive channel. The clean channel is better than I ever hoped.

It's almost the amp I always wanted - fender clean channel and boosted Marshall drive channel. Reverb would be nice, and midi swiching. Otherwise it's amazing.

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
I feel the same about mine. Need volume to get the bottom end working on the drive channel. The clean channel is better than I ever hoped.

It's almost the amp I always wanted - fender clean channel and boosted Marshall drive channel. Reverb would be nice, and midi swiching. Otherwise it's amazing.
I run mine through a torpedo reload so I can get the mv up to around 3 , which as you know is freaking LOUD unattenuated . I’m using g12h 30’s (1973 pulsonic t1281’s ) in a 1922 cab right now which sound so good . What you using bruv ?

rick16v

Reaction score
I run mine through a torpedo reload so I can get the mv up to around 3 , which as you know is freaking LOUD unattenuated . I’m using g12h 30’s (1973 pulsonic t1281’s ) in a 1922 cab right now which sound so good . What you using bruv ?

I have the combo which has a 65 creamback. Its LOUD! I bought an attenuator which arrived today. Not had a chance to try it yet, probably the weekend.

I cant wait to crank it at lower volume

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
I have the combo which has a 65 creamback. Its LOUD! I bought an attenuator which arrived today. Not had a chance to try it yet, probably the weekend.

I cant wait to crank it at lower volume
Definitely makes a difference to the good even though Friedman’s have great tone with the master on 1 getting the mv up really beefs things up .

Latest posts