• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

NAD: Friedman JJ Junior (holy moly!)

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score

the video is nice but way to many backing tracks and not enough stand alone
guitar/amp only demo. cant really tell what the amp sounds like just
by itself. its the stand alone that people want to hear and see in demos.
in a mix we can make it sound any way we like.
great for entertainment but not much for actual product demo.

What?

Reaction score
guitar/amp only demo.

It's getting harder to find raw amp into cab demos. Lots of people are recording into load boxes, IR's, post processing, backing tracks, trying to dress up the sound I suppose. But all that moves further away from what the amp actually sounds like, becoming more of a production and less of an amp demo.

Sustainium

Reaction score
guitar/amp only demo. cant really tell what the amp sounds like just
by itself. its the stand alone that people want to hear and see in demos.
in a mix we can make it sound any way we like.
great for entertainment but not much for actual product demo.
I’m with ya, once I saw the FX pedal I checked out. I’m only interested in what I may purchase (Just The Amp) and through a standard 12” rockin cab. If it sounds like shit, I want to know that too. When checking out an amp at the shop, I just plug in. That determines how I rate them.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
It's getting harder to find raw amp into cab demos. Lots of people are recording into load boxes, IR's, post processing, backing tracks, trying to dress up the sound I suppose. But all that moves further away from what the amp actually sounds like, becoming more of a production and less of an amp demo.

yep. thats why i always go to pete thorn first to see if he has anything
on the product. you get it raw and through production.

Guitarjon

Reaction score
It's impossible to please everyone but that's ok. There are still plenty of guys on YouTube who do more raw noodlings on the amp videos and that's great! Variety is the spice of life! :) When I try/demo amps I really prefer to see how they function inside the context of actual music with a drummer and bass. Having said that, I still do plenty of videos with irolated guitar sections (I have a pretty big one coming up soon...). But do note that I never EQ my guitars and I hardly ever use pedals or effects so in most of my videos the sound of the guitars is pretty pure!

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
Yep. I appreciate what he does, using the piece of gear to make some music, shows off features and settings, and demos it solo. It's a good format and hard to beat.

long time pete fan. yrs actually.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
It's impossible to please everyone but that's ok. There are still plenty of guys on YouTube who do more raw noodlings on the amp videos and that's great! Variety is the spice of life! :) When I try/demo amps I really prefer to see how they function inside the context of actual music with a drummer and bass. Having said that, I still do plenty of videos with irolated guitar sections (I have a pretty big one coming up soon...). But do note that I never EQ my guitars and I hardly ever use pedals or effects so in most of my videos the sound of the guitars is pretty pure!

just giving you constructive feedback jon. a nice 50/50 split would be good.
you might be surprised on this but a lot of JJ owners on here and elsewhere
will never get to hear their JJ in a mix. they just jam at home and they are happy
in doing so. a part of your demo relative to their situation might be nice as well.

tallcoolone

Reaction score
It's impossible to please everyone but that's ok.

Don't sweat it. Takes a lot of time and effort to put this stuff together--thanks for taking that time and sharing. Personally I do like to hear an amp in a band mix, but that's where I most like to use them. My fear on the JJ amps is that they were voiced too dark to be able to cut in a live setting--I don't hear that in your clips which is encouraging.

Maybe before piling on criticism of others' contributions, folks should self evaluate what they contribute themselves.

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
Great demo imo , love the killer tones in the mix and you fact you can still every note crystal clear even with huge amounts of gain reinforces how good the amp is . Awesome tones and Clarity is what Friedman amps are all about .

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
My JJ is supposed to be here today.

Here I wait.....

View attachment 88801

and the marshall forum is like........
laptops-lecture.jpg

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
Maybe before piling on criticism of others' contributions, folks should self evaluate what they contribute themselves.

sorry my "contributions" arent to your likings.
if they arent up to par block me. :cheers:
there are MANY posts and threads on here that make the very
same comment/suggestion i just made about demo videos.
i did not insult the man nor his video. just offered very useful
suggestion for demo videos. :coffee:

Last edited:

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
Constructive criticism is fine , people’s opinions vary and conveyed in a polite manor it’s not a problem , all’s good here I say .

yeah thats what i was trying to do. i did mention in my opening that the video was good
if i read my own writing correctly. didnt say anything mean or out of the way from what i read either.
but its not only how things are conveyed, its also about how its received.
if its not received correctly or even welcomed, it doesnt really matter how it said.
then again it usually only takes 1 person to get it all twisted in the first place too though.