Need A New Amp!! What Am I Describing Here? Whats For Me??

• Thread starter riffpowers
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

riffpowers

Reaction score
I'm a long time user of marshall jcm800's. I love em, but they're just too powerful for most things these days. My "core" sound was a les paul into a jcm800 with a ts9 in front set to clean boost. Worked for me!! Too powerful for most places and no solo boost though.
I sold off all the big stuff and am looking for something else.
As I've pretty much exclusively played jcm800 2203/2204's for so long I'm a bit lost with what else is out there.

So I need something reliable, something simple to use!!
I don't need a clean tone but a good core drive sound, with different shades of dirt, from crunch to boosted jcm800 type levels.
I don't need loads of channels, but I would like the ability to have a solo boost.
I play the average mid level venues that most of us play, so need to be heard above other guitarists etc but mic'd up most of the time.
It'd be great if it's an amp I can play in the house too.

My core sounds are marshally rock./metal from 70's through to 90's. I'm told I sound somewhere between motorhead and slayer. I play a mixture of garage rock, NWOBHM, punk and crossover stuff.

Any idea which marshall would be for me??! I;m in the UK BTW.

Jon C

Reaction score
Origin Head …… closed back cab …… paper of your choosing …… add pedals … switchable EFX loop for your time based stuff …… done

FWIW …… I dimed my Hyberbolic / Nitrogen Cooled DSL401 on the Clean Channel the other day with a 16ohm Weber Silver Bell in the Combo and a 16ohm V30 in a Closed Back Extention Cab and my ears were ringing for 60min after I shut her down …… Amazing with the pedalboard feeding that puppy !!!

Last edited:

BftGibson

Reaction score
DSL's would give you 3 drive/OD sounds and clean can build your pedal..or old school..boost the gain chan in front with TS or SD1 with gain off and use boost to thicken up for that jcm800 sound...I have the CR and H and last 2 generation can get what you are asking for all day long with a LP...use the gain wisely..mine is on like 3 on Ultra on new series and about 5-6 on old with mods and it is thick and full...did whole CD last year on it ..last piece of puzzle get the right speaker or 4x12 loaded for your genre...nothing beats a Gibson LP into a Marshall..good luck !!

Michael Roe

Reaction score
JMP-1 preamp into an Origin 20H head. It will cover everything you need. The JMP-1 can give you 100 shades of about any Marshall type tone you want plus has it's own parallel FX loop that can be programmed in or out with any amount you need. The Origin head has 3 different power modes which would work for home use. If you want to take it to the next level add a TC electronic G-system which has programmable loops. You can then put some pedals in those loops. Or, you can even put the JMP-1 in a loop of the G-system and use the amps preamp as well.

BftGibson

Reaction score
TGP experts want you to get a Mini Jube …… took 10 min to eat me alive
ahh them experts..all mouth and no sound clips to back up..lol...Mini is cool tho...with Marshall the sounds this poster is looking for is pretty much the DNA of Marshall and you just got to find personal preference and spend quality time with your ears not your eyes with some spanky on internet who never owned one but sure knows how to give advice...if i was starting out, would prob grab a DSL & Origin and then learn if i like pre gain or tube power shaping and learn those amps..if you take your time there would be a good chance you will keep both and enjoy the 2 basic type of Marshall and then hone in on a vintage beauty and be the king of your tone world and play more than read about it!! record..put a band together and go rock it proudly !!

Jon C

Reaction score
ahh them experts..all mouth and no sound clips to back up..lol...Mini is cool tho...with Marshall the sounds this poster is looking for is pretty much the DNA of Marshall and you just got to find personal preference and spend quality time with your ears not your eyes with some spanky on internet who never owned one but sure knows how to give advice...if i was starting out, would prob grab a DSL & Origin and then learn if i like pre gain or tube power shaping and learn those amps..if you take your time there would be a good chance you will keep both and enjoy the 2 basic type of Marshall and then hone in on a vintage beauty and be the king of your tone world and play more than read about it!! record..put a band together and go rock it proudly !!
So far the "TGP Answers" are Ceriatone , Splawn , Boogie Mark IV , and two more scoldings for suggesting the Origin ……

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
I've had many Marshall's over the years, and when I read your post, the amp that popped into my head was the Marshall SL-X 2500. I like to think of the SL-X as a JCM800 with added gain stages and a second, switchable, master volume for solos. It's actually the only single channel Marshall, that I can think of, with a 2nd switchable master volume. There are, of course, tons of other amp options, but that's the most flexible single channel amp that comes to mind.

Last edited:

BftGibson

Reaction score
I've had many Marshall's over the years, and when I read your post, the amp that popped into my head was the Marshall SL-X 2500. I like to think of the SL-X as a JCM800 with added gain stages and a second, switchable, master volume for solos. It's actually the only single channel Marshall, that I can think of, with a 2nd switchable master volume. There are, of course, tons of other amp options, but that's the most flexible single channel amp that comes to mind.
+1..one of the gems for sure..

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
100% what BFT said

thunderstruck507

Reaction score
I think a DSL40 would suite you well. I used to have a DSL401 JCM 2000 and it did the things you are speaking of incredibly well. I also liked it had basically 3 footswitchable channels.

It would work fine on it's own mic'd up but could also drive a 2x12 or 4x12 easily if you need more oomph.

I seem to be in the minority but I really don't care for the Origin amps in the grand scheme of things. Granted I haven't been able to run one cranked but at playing in the store volumes it's just too damn clean and way too bright for me to consider it a good base for much of a rock or metal tone...you would have to use pedals for your core sound. Maybe I'm missing something.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
So mamy different thoughts. Seems like many Marshalls may work.
Jubilee
DSL.
Can't speak for Origin never tried it. You would need a pedal up front for most of those styles.

You've sold them off? Too bad. You could use a Bad Cat Unleash reamper. Gives you attenuation, reamps power to 100 watt class D amp, has fx loop and an extra volume control for a boost. No new amp required!!

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
There are so many kick ass Marshall amps to choose from, every body has a favorite, (Sorry if I’m off topic) my personal favorites are 1959, 1987, JMP MV series, JCM800, the first ones, what I now possess is what won’t kill the bank, and what I have been able to dial in a decent tone, at least to my ears, so I can only comment on what I have heard, and played! Cheers Mitch

Jason Fieldhouseespk

Reaction score
So mamy different thoughts. Seems like many Marshalls may work.
Jubilee
DSL.
Can't speak for Origin never tried it. You would need a pedal up front for most of those styles.

You've sold them off? Too bad. You could use a Bad Cat Unleash reamper. Gives you attenuation, reamps power to 100 watt class D amp, has fx loop and an extra volume control for a boost. No new amp required!!

Well the, you turn the gain and volume up around 8 and the Origin is full off gain, then use the attenuator to find a level....
It's quite overdriven to me, would take just a little push into high gain.... humbuckers should do it tbh, does with mine...