New Marshall “studio Amp”

• Thread starter pleximaster
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
No, not just these amps. I bought the Origin 20 watt head and am loving it. I was thinking about grabbing the 20 watt DSL head too. Now this...

I know the launch of the Origin and DSL lines was marred by some QC issues, but still. These should be winners for Marshall.

BftGibson

Reaction score
sounds like what they did is make a DSL available in separate forms..cause if you learn the DSL a whole bunch of Marshall goodness in it naturally..and you can run it old school and boost or pre gain all ya want...i don't do much outside of band work & studio sessions..just dont have the time.but might hire my studio guy and make a proper video demo of a DSL copying..jmp-800-900-tones; I am in all in favor of Marshall..i just think they been giving a real good package all along in the DSL..as a gigging and studio musician..the DSL can do it all...last year the Origin & DSL where very good amps and if anything, started a revival of revisiting ..all that is good about Marshall amps...Origin is old school & DSL anything you want it to be..these 3 new Studios are great addition !!...el34's of any Marshall cooking and a Gibson & some strat action from time to time

Last edited:

Len

Reaction score
Didn't someone above say the amp is still technically made overseas, it's just assembled in the UK?
That argument is BS. Many, many products are assembled out of components from other countries.

And if we want to get technical, this is an overseas product to anyone buying it in the US.

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
I , regardless of origin want one . Sometimes we tend to over analyze products. Especially ones that we hold to a higher standard . No one opens up their phone or T.V. to criticize the origin.

johan.b

Reaction score
...I must admit I didn't expect these amps and a few months ago decided I'm not buying any more amps. I got what I need and more. And yada yada... now I got GAS....I just don't know which one to get...I'm really more into plexi's but the music I play calls for 800.. and a master volume is such practical device...:scream:

tce63

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
...I must admit I didn't expect these amps and a few months ago decided I'm not buying any more amps. I got what I need and more. And yada yada... now I got GAS....I just don't know which one to get...I'm really more into plexi's but the music I play calls for 800.. and a master volume is such practical device...:scream:

Not to be like that, but the Swedish agent has them in stock, ordered my plexi today from the local store, it will arrive next week :)

kustombob

Reaction score
I agree Bftgibson the DSL is a fine amp' just killer for the money. I been using a 100w Dsl H for 2 years now and get some nice sounds' It can do 80s rock easy and any other tones with the proper pedals and Guitars. But these new Studio Marshall do sound it seems to be a little more vintage Marshall' I have to hide my credit cards. Dam

johan.b

Reaction score
Not to be like that, but the Swedish agent has them in stock, ordered my plexi today from the local store, it will arrive next week :)
.. by the way... odd question perhaps... do we know each other outside this forum? .. I worked as an amp tech at the EM nordic/Englund -92 to-95 before going to Luthman for 9 years..before leaving that industry for other stuff.. might give Benny or Thomas a call..
J

tce63

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
.. by the way... odd question perhaps... do we know each other outside this forum? .. I worked as an amp tech at the EM nordic/Englund -92 to-95 before going to Luthman for 9 years..before leaving that industry for other stuff.. might give Benny or Thomas a call..
J

I will send you a PM

Kim Lucky Day

Reaction score
What's your impressions of the build quality? Do the knobs feel plastic-y etc? Or does it feel like a legit plexi?

Had a chance to look it over and plug it in for a spin. I'll preface this with the fact that I've never seen or played a 50/100 watt plexi so take what I say accordingly.

First off, this thing roars! Started off in 5 watt mode, very loud but very dynamic, too. Great response with knob adjustment, there's a wide variety of tones to be had here. I plugged it into a new (to me) 1965A 4x10 and it really rocked it good. Switched it to 20 watt mode, volume definitely increased significantly but, considering how loud it was in 5 watt mode, not as much as I was thinking it would. Amp started breaking up nicely around 2-3 with my Les Paul and really started growling half-way up.

Build-wise, it appears to be solid. No rattles, no sound relics when turning knobs, proper plexiglass control panel. Only tried one speaker input (the first 8 ohm jack, when looking from left to right) so not sure if there are any bugaboos similar to the Origin issue. Haven't hooked up any pedals or DI yet. Interesting that the manual says it has an emulated DI but the Marshall dude on the videos says it's not emulated... We'll find out soon enough.

So far I am greatly impressed with it. Sounds way better than my Origin, although I'm not gonna scrap that entirely (I have visions of a wet-dry rig here). Price wise, meh... Having 24 months/no interest at Sweetwater makes it a no-brainer to afford pretty much anything so I can't really complain. Pretty amazing that I just find out about it and then 24 hours later I'm jamming on one in my own house...

Before anyone asks, no gut shots from this guy. I barely know how to change tubes so it's not gonna happen.

Attachments

• 20190125_134740_resized_2.jpg
    20190125_134740_resized_2.jpg
    398.4 KB · Views: 51

johan.b

Reaction score
If you're new to plexi's, here's a quick guide

Presence= fizz knob...I prefer at 0
Bass= compression knob.. around~2-4
Mid= mids ... halfway to full
Treble= treble... at full
Vol1... turn to 8
Vol2 ... if linked, to taste

Now you got every classic rock song at the twist of your les Paul volume knob
J

KelvinS1965

Reaction score
This thread made me dig out my JMP1-H tonight since I haven't used it in ages. I had convinced myself that my Mini Jubilee would cover similar enough tones, but after tonight I'm not so sure. I think I'll be looking to get the Studio Vintage myself and pair it with the cab in my avatar, maybe change the V30 for a Greenback (again) though. I'll wait until I've sold the JMP1-H though.

Thanks to Kim Lucky Day for the quick write up too. :hbang:

Last edited:

entfred smith

Reaction score

I played a few of the new 2019 studio amps today - the studio classic and studio vintage. I played the head versions.
This was in Guitar Center. I really dug both heads, particularly the studio vintage head. I liked the way I could get both a real trebley tone or normal tone and the tone controls were very responsive. Very loud amps - plenty loud for gigs. The clean sounds and power tube distortion remind me of the old Marshall amps back in the 70s.

I compared the amps to a Origin 50 sitting next to these amps, and I liked the tone better on the studio classic and studio vintage amps. Still, the Origin 50 and 20 are great amps, too.

Fender

Reaction score
at this rate, next year, we should finally see the SA20H*, no ?

Studio Anniversary 20w head based on the 6100 ? :D would be fun :D

Adieu

Reaction score
I just don't understand why the 10" speaker in the combo. Why??? Why??? Why??? And that V-Type... Come on!

The Jubilee combo comes with the 12" Greenback... Why not keep all studio line in this way?

Cost-cutting and weight reduction... weight specs not posted yet, BUT:

V30 is a 100dB speaker, 10.4 lbs heavy and expensive
G12 V-type is a simplified V30, 98dB and 2/3 the price and 3.2 lbs lighter
Old G10 Vintage is a 10" V30-like, 97dB and 2/3 the price and 5.1 lbs lighter
New G10 VT Jr follows the 3dB drop from size reduction with a published 95dB.... no weight or price specs yet, but the same 30% price and nearly 50% weight reduction pattern will probably hold

PS magnet weight *IS* posted, and at 20 oz vs G10 Vintage 31 oz, promises to push the new speaker into 4-pounder territory (G12 Vtype is 31 oz... real V30 is 50oz.. 2 lbs shaved on magnets alone, and that's without resorting to costly Neo mags)

Last edited:

walshb

Reaction score
There are 3 Studio JCM800's available about an hour from me. I just made an offer on one, and said I'll pick it up so they don't have to ship it. Crossing my fingers.....

Well, my offer got accepted so tomorrow I'll be picking up a Studio JCM800 head version. Now I can leave my Mini Jube combo at band practice and use the JCM at home....or vice versa. I've got a few different cabs to try it out with. Of course, I can't wait to try it out!

tce63

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, my offer got accepted so tomorrow I'll be picking up a Studio JCM800 head version. Now I can leave my Mini Jube combo at band practice and use the JCM at home....or vice versa. I've got a few different cabs to try it out with. Of course, I can't wait to try it out!

Congrats !
You have to get us a report and some thinkings after you tried it out, cheers :cheers: