New Marshall “studio Amp”

• Thread starter pleximaster
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Seventh Son

Reaction score
Well, my offer got accepted so tomorrow I'll be picking up a Studio JCM800 head version. Now I can leave my Mini Jube combo at band practice and use the JCM at home....or vice versa. I've got a few different cabs to try it out with. Of course, I can't wait to try it out!
Can't wait for all the JCM800 Studio vs. (fill in the blank) reviews from actual owners. I'd be really curious to hear how the DSLs and the Mini Jubilee stack up against the JCM800 Studio.

BftGibson

Reaction score
Can't wait for all the JCM800 Studio vs. (fill in the blank) reviews from actual owners. I'd be really curious to hear how the DSLs and the Mini Jubilee stack up against the JCM800 Studio.
i hope all em turn out great..and our older classics will always keep doin what they do and the newer ones become classics also...these amps will pull peeps from some other amp lines .. i love that Marshall has DSL-jcm-jmp-6100-jtm-VM-JVM..never found one i couldn't rock out..all awesome in their own ways !! totally enjoying the hoopla Marshall has created this year..

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Damn, tough choice. I like both but I guess the Plexi tone is a further reach in the vintage market but the 800 is so near most of the rock I grew up with.
I was gonna order both but decided to get the 800 head now and at a later date get a used plexi combo when they begin to materialize.

rich88uk

Reaction score

Give me a few weeks. Once I shift some gear I'll report back :dude:.

Have the mini jube, going to get the mini 800.

BftGibson

Reaction score
I hope people from Marshall read this, and threads like it to come, they seem to have hit a home run. Good for the employees at Bletchley.
Gibson will get a big pull up from Marshall this year..SG & LP's a natural match..also TS & SD1's should sell...and Celestion speakers..that is all gear i ever needed for great consitent rock set up

chiliphil1

Reaction score
The big comparison I am waiting for is the SC20H vs PT20 vs Runt 20 vs Kraken. Those are all in the same range price wise. Should be a good one.

SlyStrat

Reaction score
Had a chance to look it over and plug it in for a spin. I'll preface this with the fact that I've never seen or played a 50/100 watt plexi so take what I say accordingly.

First off, this thing roars! Started off in 5 watt mode, very loud but very dynamic, too. Great response with knob adjustment, there's a wide variety of tones to be had here. I plugged it into a new (to me) 1965A 4x10 and it really rocked it good. Switched it to 20 watt mode, volume definitely increased significantly but, considering how loud it was in 5 watt mode, not as much as I was thinking it would. Amp started breaking up nicely around 2-3 with my Les Paul and really started growling half-way up.

Build-wise, it appears to be solid. No rattles, no sound relics when turning knobs, proper plexiglass control panel. Only tried one speaker input (the first 8 ohm jack, when looking from left to right) so not sure if there are any bugaboos similar to the Origin issue. Haven't hooked up any pedals or DI yet. Interesting that the manual says it has an emulated DI but the Marshall dude on the videos says it's not emulated... We'll find out soon enough.

So far I am greatly impressed with it. Sounds way better than my Origin, although I'm not gonna scrap that entirely (I have visions of a wet-dry rig here). Price wise, meh... Having 24 months/no interest at Sweetwater makes it a no-brainer to afford pretty much anything so I can't really complain. Pretty amazing that I just find out about it and then 24 hours later I'm jamming on one in my own house...

Before anyone asks, no gut shots from this guy. I barely know how to change tubes so it's not gonna happen.

Please compare your Origin to the SV with same OD pedal and give a report. Thanks.

Michael Roe

Reaction score
In one of the demo vids I watched yesterday I heard a hint of possibly other 20 waters in the future. I wonder what other models they will do?

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been deliberating over the DSL20cr or 20hr, or DSL5CR for the past two months. I told myself not to be too impatient, wait until NAMM 2019, maybe they’ll be something new to consider. I deliberated and deliberated and asked many questions from all the knowledgeable folks here about what should I get. And everyone here has been very patient and accommodating.

I considered the Dsl20 because of the 20/10 watts and the EL34 power tubes. But I’m a at home player, certainly the DSL5CR is a much better fit,....but a 10” speaker and a EC99 power tube,....I’m not sure.

What I really want is a Marshall with EL34 power tubes, low wattage, a 12” speaker,....so I hesitate and hesitate and lose myself in all the different options. All the while thinking I should wait to see what Marshall has to offer for 2019,...........and low and behold they come out with the Studio and Vintage Series Amps.

So the Studio Series seems exactly what I’m looking for,......ie, low wattage, (20/5), EL34 power tubes, a head so I can use a 1-12 cab I already own,.... and made in England to boot!!!! What could be better!! Nothing!!!!

I’ve ordered the Marshall Studio Classic 20/5 watt head,.....it should be here sometime next week. Ok so it’s like twice the price of the amps I was considering,...but it’s checks off ALL the boxes I’ve put myself in,....low wattage, ( as low as 5), EL34 power tubes, (no 10” speaker),and made in England,...that’s the clincher!!!

I can’t wait for it’s arrival!! :D

I’m a very happy man right now!!!!i