new strat and marshall for my sons birthday - pics

• Thread starter flyinguitars
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

flyinguitars

Reaction score
He picked this strat out several weeks ago and I had it in layaway at GC until his birthday. So after dinner and cake last night, we went to pick it up. He/I were jamming on it for a bit and used the opportunity to check out some amps...tried the super champ 2, a slash marshall 12" combo, the newer yamaha mini practice amp (tx 10 or something like.that),...the we saw the marshall class 5 head on clearance.....so on a spur of the moment impulse birthday buy, we got the Marshall for him too (he actually paid 1/2 for it). Nevertheless it was an awesome birthday and he was up late cranking the new amp through different cabinets at our house. Going to need a load box or a good distortion pedal for the nee head. The new start plays great after we dropped the middle pickup. We are going to put a JB jr in the bridge postion.

Anyway here are some pics...the strat has a beautiful tiger flame top. Its 3d in person. Really nice player right of the rack too.

20130918_193307.jpg

Just after he got the ok on the head:

20130918_204416.jpg

At home checking out the tone:

20130918_213019.jpg

He is a great player so the new gear will get put to use....I have to get some new vid. Here is him playing some VH a few months ago (when in 8th grade!)..the kid has a great feel and tone in his fingers!

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=IM_OulA9xR8&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Nice!

Food for thought, but a nice box to throw in front of the C5H is the Wampler Pinnacle (might be right up his alley based on the video as well!).

crossroadsnyc

Senior Moderator
Staff Member
Reaction score
Nice!

Food for thought, but a nice box to throw in front of the C5H is the Wampler Pinnacle (might be right up his alley based on the video as well!).

Btw., just to follow up on this, but one thing I love about the Pinnacle in front of the C5H is the bright switch (actually, it's the one labeled vintage / modern ... the 'modern' position is the bright position) ... it really helps out w/that amp given it's a bit dark sounding ... really livens it up.

flyinguitars

Reaction score
Crossroad - thanks the wampler is def on the short list to check out. Also want to try the carl martin plexitone. I don't know anything about the class 5 and we literally saw it and bought it on the way out (after a brief shred session on it..haha)
But I will look around the forum to see if guys are doing effects loops....a good stomp box up front , little delay in a loop, and pumped thru our '74 greenback 4x12, it could be his everyday and gigging rig.

Poeman...yes he has it pretty good but he is aware that it could be a lot worse. He thanked us about 50 times and when it was time to go bed, he really opened up and said some wonderful things to his mom and me.
As for the shirt, that one, a fender one, a marshall T, an alpinestar t, and a few motocross Ts, are in reg rotation....he is a gear hound and full blown tone chaser at 15..haha.

Last edited:

slide222

Reaction score
that's brilliant - my grandson had his first birthday in august , and I brought him a fender squire 3/4 strat, and a little fender amp for his 1st birthday , and I hope to start his lessons soon

guitargoalie

Reaction score
Call me an ass but I'm often skeptical of kids getting high quality gear. After watching that video, he is more than deserving! Great playing for any age. With that kind of phrasing and feel for the guitar, he'll do that gear well.

BlackSG91

Reaction score
That is one sweet looking Strat...the top is incredible and it will definitely be a head-turner. I'm in my 40's now, but I didn't get my first electric guitar until I was 17. It was a Profile Strat copy (in black MIK). I could never play that good at my age and your son is only 15 and already playing circles around everyone with that Wolfgang?!?! I can't believe how fast some kids learn these days. It's truly incredible but it seems to be the norm.;) I guess you can thank the internet & YouTube. I wonder how he'll sound when he's twenty?:scratch::hbang:

AbelsKeepeR

Reaction score
great video, he plays really good! My son is a drummer, lol, I told him he better learn guitar too, he going to inherit a boat load of guitars and amps one day. Now he has 3 acoustic kits, Yammies, Pearls, and Tama's, and a nice Roland V Kit, and monitors. He's got it made, lol.

flyinguitars

Reaction score
Thanks dudes! He was really into motocross up until he discovered guitar. I originally did not want him to get into guitar because I know first hand how hard is to make a good living in the music biz...but he just gravitated towards music and guitar and picked it up so fast! He is now playing several of Guthrie govan's songs and seems to improve almost daily....so I am supporting him as.best as I can.

Have any of you class 5 owners installed an effects loop? It could be a near perfect amp if we could get typical effects loop quality delay sounds.

We had it sounding pretty damn good last night (trying for an evh kind of sound). We ran it on volume 8 thru a hot plate set on -4db and then kicked on a boss overdrive/distortion OS-2 pedal set on all distortion with a minimal amount on the "mix" knob and with the "level" knob cranked to work as the gain. It sounded pretty damn good! I noticed if.we cranked the amp to 10, the wound strings got kinda fuzzy sounding when we'd pick them...kinda soft and sloppy feeling. So if we backed off the amp volume to 8ish and added a little bit of the boss pedal it sounded tighter on the bottom and was easier to squeeze out pick harmonics and had a pretty good picking/click sound when we'd pick the wound strings....it just needs some nice clean delay to make to really soar during solos....gotta figure out something like an effects loop.

dreyn77

Reaction score
Nice forward thinking! great guitar and amp!
good times!
beats a $10 golf game!

BlackSG91

Reaction score
Thanks dudes! He was really into motocross up until he discovered guitar. I originally did not want him to get into guitar because I know first hand how hard is to make a good living in the music biz...but he just gravitated towards music and guitar and picked it up so fast! He is now playing several of Guthrie govan's songs and seems to improve almost daily....so I am supporting him as.best as I can.

Have any of you class 5 owners installed an effects loop? It could be a near perfect amp if we could get typical effects loop quality delay sounds.

We had it sounding pretty damn good last night (trying for an evh kind of sound). We ran it on volume 8 thru a hot plate set on -4db and then kicked on a boss overdrive/distortion OS-2 pedal set on all distortion with a minimal amount on the "mix" knob and with the "level" knob cranked to work as the gain. It sounded pretty damn good! I noticed if.we cranked the amp to 10, the wound strings got kinda fuzzy sounding when we'd pick them...kinda soft and sloppy feeling. So if we backed off the amp volume to 8ish and added a little bit of the boss pedal it sounded tighter on the bottom and was easier to squeeze out pick harmonics and had a pretty good picking/click sound when we'd pick the wound strings....it just needs some nice clean delay to make to really soar during solos....gotta figure out something like an effects loop.

That's what I like about the Class-5.....it's straightforward & simple amp and an FX loop would suit it quite nicely. That was some interesting info on your volume and overdrive settings. It's good to see you're experimenting to find the right tone. I look at the volume knobs as pressure valves that can be adjusted.;) There are many real good distortion & overdrive pedals out there. For a delay, I would recommend the Boss Digital Delay DD-3 pedal if you just want to go a straightforward pedal route. I want to buy one myself since it's very versatile.

c2e3bde24b6d44baa719600.png

flyinguitars

Reaction score
That's what I like about the Class-5.....it's straightforward & simple amp and an FX loop would suit it quite nicely. That was some interesting info on your volume and overdrive settings. It's good to see you're experimenting to find the right tone. I look at the volume knobs as pressure valves that can be adjusted.;) There are many real good distortion & overdrive pedals out there. For a delay, I would recommend the Boss Digital Delay DD-3 pedal if you just want to go a straightforward pedal route. I want to buy one myself since it's very versatile.

c2e3bde24b6d44baa719600.png

Haha! We have that delay pedal and I really like it! We tried it in the front of the amp before and after the os-2 pedal and it worked but wasn't good...same results with running it alone with the amp cranked wide open. The delay was just too jumbled and there is a threshold on the level button that is a human hair wide. Either it sounds like its off or there is too much. I also noticed that guitar volume knob changes threw the delay volume out of whack. I do however use that same pedal in the loop of my jcm800 head and it sounds great!