new strat and marshall for my sons birthday - pics

• Thread starter flyinguitars
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
Thanks dudes! He was really into motocross up until he discovered guitar. I originally did not want him to get into guitar because I know first hand how hard is to make a good living in the music biz...but he just gravitated towards music and guitar and picked it up so fast! He is now playing several of Guthrie govan's songs and seems to improve almost daily....so I am supporting him as.best as I can.

Have any of you class 5 owners installed an effects loop? It could be a near perfect amp if we could get typical effects loop quality delay sounds.

We had it sounding pretty damn good last night (trying for an evh kind of sound). We ran it on volume 8 thru a hot plate set on -4db and then kicked on a boss overdrive/distortion OS-2 pedal set on all distortion with a minimal amount on the "mix" knob and with the "level" knob cranked to work as the gain. It sounded pretty damn good! I noticed if.we cranked the amp to 10, the wound strings got kinda fuzzy sounding when we'd pick them...kinda soft and sloppy feeling. So if we backed off the amp volume to 8ish and added a little bit of the boss pedal it sounded tighter on the bottom and was easier to squeeze out pick harmonics and had a pretty good picking/click sound when we'd pick the wound strings....it just needs some nice clean delay to make to really soar during solos....gotta figure out something like an effects loop.
It would be equally hard to make it as a pro MX'r and you know the guys who don't get the big contracts end up doing the X games .
Great gift and he plays quite good.

BlackSG91

Reaction score
Haha! We have that delay pedal and I really like it! We tried it in the front of the amp before and after the os-2 pedal and it worked but wasn't good...same results with running it alone with the amp cranked wide open. The delay was just too jumbled and there is a threshold on the level button that is a human hair wide. Either it sounds like its off or there is too much. I also noticed that guitar volume knob changes threw the delay volume out of whack. I do however use that same pedal in the loop of my jcm800 head and it sounds great!

I guess it depends on where you have the delay hooked up...before or after the OD pedal. I notice it makes a difference. You probably just need more tweaking and maybe it's more effective in an FX loop than just straight into the input. I always try to back off the effects as much as I can and add gradually. I'm glad to hear you like the pedal and I would love to pick up one at a used price. I think brand new it's about $150? I don't wan't to pay that much for a pedal so I prefer used. You can also try out Maxon delay which sounds real good and is more simpler and straightforward. I've seen quite a few clips on this pedal in the past and I think it's another high quality delay pedal that does the trick. Here's a video demo that might be some help.;)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0qD_c6YXuQ]Maxon - AD10 - Analog Delay - YouTube[/ame]

SonVolt

VIP Member
Reaction score
Kids these days have it good, too good. ! I had to learn on a Squire and a solid-state Fender 1x12 combo. Even had to work the summer of '95 to put a hot-rails in the bridge.

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
He picked this strat out several weeks ago and I had it in layaway at GC until his birthday. So after dinner and cake last night, we went to pick it up. He/I were jamming on it for a bit and used the opportunity to check out some amps...tried the super champ 2, a slash marshall 12" combo, the newer yamaha mini practice amp (tx 10 or something like.that),...the we saw the marshall class 5 head on clearance.....so on a spur of the moment impulse birthday buy, we got the Marshall for him too (he actually paid 1/2 for it). Nevertheless it was an awesome birthday and he was up late cranking the new amp through different cabinets at our house. Going to need a load box or a good distortion pedal for the nee head. The new start plays great after we dropped the middle pickup. We are going to put a JB jr in the bridge postion.

Anyway here are some pics...the strat has a beautiful tiger flame top. Its 3d in person. Really nice player right of the rack too.

20130918_193307.jpg

Just after he got the ok on the head:

20130918_204416.jpg

At home checking out the tone:

20130918_213019.jpg

He is a great player so the new gear will get put to use....I have to get some new vid. Here is him playing some VH a few months ago (when in 8th grade!)..the kid has a great feel and tone in his fingers!

Van halen feel your love cover - YouTube

Very nice, glad to see that you are proud as you should be.

Now get the young man a Fender shirt. JK :)

David ♫

Rahlstin

Reaction score
Delays in the front sounds worse n worse as signal compression in the amp increases. The delay sound gets compressed and that really mucks it up and also causes the threshold thing you mentioned especially if you hit the strings hard. An analog delay works slightly better in the front but is subject to the same thing.

flyinguitars

Reaction score
Yea, he loves that gibson shirt. He has a fender, marshall and a few motocross shirts that make up his first choice wardrobe. He loves anything gear related!..ha

BlackSG91

Reaction score
Delays in the front sounds worse n worse as signal compression in the amp increases. The delay sound gets compressed and that really mucks it up and also causes the threshold thing you mentioned especially if you hit the strings hard. An analog delay works slightly better in the front but is subject to the same thing.

Yes it does sound worse...I just gave it a whirl. If you're using a bunch of pedals, then keep the delays and reverbs last in the chain...any overdrive after the delay is not effective. I also notice my JD Crybaby wah-wah pedal doesn't sound so good after my distortion/overdrive pedals. It does sound much better before my booster and distortion/OD pedals so it's usually placed first in the chain of effects.;)

BlackSG91

Reaction score
Yea, he loves that gibson shirt. He has a fender, marshall and a few motocross shirts that make up his first choice wardrobe. He loves anything gear related!..ha

I've had a Marshall T-shirt for the longest time, but I didn't have a Marshall amp for quite some time until recently. I gotta pick up a Gibson T-shirt in black...they look so cool to wear.:hbang:

flyinguitars

Reaction score
My son's best friend (who also plays guitar) came over yesterday and gave him a duncan hot rail pickup for the strat (as a birthday present)!!
We put it in and it sounds great.
I will get some clips....real punchy but clean! Kinda kingsx tone.

bulldozer1984

Everybody's Favorite Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Your one cool Dad man, really cool :) I wish my old man was as cool as you when i was growing up. In saying that, i cant wait until my son (4 months old) is old enough to learn to play. I cant friggin wait..

Mike_j

Reaction score
Lucky kid and he looks so happy!! What a fantastic birthday. Never had one like that myself. Good gear is an inspiration to play. Good on you mate.

GIBSON67

Reaction score
Awesome Dad! Nice clip and good playing...lucky son to have such a good dad!

Both my sons had much more of an ear than I ever did...learn while your young!