Now I want a RED Strat!

• Thread starter Vinsanitizer
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jazzdj

Reaction score
View attachment 87290
Owned by one D. Gilmour until he sold it in London in 1980 (not mine but I know who owns it). Its a '63

The Stratocaster in your picture appears to be Metal Flake Red, there was NO Red Metal Flake standard or Custom Color available from Fender in the early 60's, period. So, unless Gilmore had it repainted (and there is no record of that in any interview with Gilmore about his early guitars), it's a Fake and certainly isn't a Gilmore owned Stratocaster. (prove it).

Vintage Guitar Magazine has a reputation of being accurate 99.9% if the time with many guitar collecting authorities writing for them and here in one of their articles about what Fender colors were available in the 1960's (Ps. "Metalic Candy Apple" is NOT Metal Flake color, it refers to the underlying undercoat of a solid Silver color, see Note #5 in the story color chart).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Gilmour
and
"‘The Black Strat’ — a rock icon" - David Gilmore

jazzdj

Reaction score
You don't need to spend a $$ Grand or more for a high quality "Red" "Fender Stratocaster". You just got to shop around.

Just a few years ago (2015) I happened to stop into one of the local Guitar Centers that my shop has a contract with to do Guitar and Amp repairs. In the Used rack was a 1994 MIJ (Fujigen Gakki) Fiesta Red "Fender Stratocaster" .... "Squier Series" (as apposed to a "Squier Stratocaster". These were premium models above the Squier line with Japanese Ash bodies, Alnico V pickups, full steel block Tremolos and higher quality Pots and Switches. The bodies were shaped, contoured and routed like '62 Fender model Strats (individual single coil routes, not the "bathtub" routing that could accommodate a HB and save production time). These were around when I was still working at Fender, I just never bought one then.

I paid the tag price - $125. I think you can recognize that was a STEAL! Everything was original, only the back Trem cover was missing. See pictures below. A gorgeous "Red" (Fiesta) Stratocaster.

Fender SS MIJ 94 Fiesta Red Full sml Side.jpg
Fender MIJ 94 Fiesta Red Squier Series.jpg

StingRay85

Reaction score
The Stratocaster in your picture appears to be Metal Flake Red, there was NO Red Metal Flake standard or Custom Color available from Fender in the early 60's, period. So, unless Gilmore had it repainted (and there is no record of that in any interview with Gilmore about his early guitars), it's a Fake and certainly isn't a Gilmore owned Stratocaster. (prove it).

Vintage Guitar Magazine has a reputation of being accurate 99.9% if the time with many guitar collecting authorities writing for them and here in one of their articles about what Fender colors were available in the 1960's (Ps. "Metalic Candy Apple" is NOT Metal Flake color, it refers to the underlying undercoat of a solid Silver color, see Note #5 in the story color chart).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Gilmour
and
"‘The Black Strat’ — a rock icon" - David Gilmore

Its not mine so I dont really care lol. But thanks for the info!

Steven Evans

Reaction score
Here you go, my mid-2000's American Strat in chrome red the day it was delivered. Looks very different now, Mother of pearl scratchplate, SD JB humbucker (been in 3 guitars so far) Sperzel locking tuners, LSR nut. Did I say how much I like Jeff Beck? A fine instrument. I used to have a Plexi Marshall Super Bass 100w to play through, but even with Groove Tube Yellow Jackets taking it down to 20 watts, it was too much for home use, so it went to a new home and was replaced by an Egnater Rebel 20 and a matching cab. 03revealed-at-last.jpg 0002_Marshall_768_forum.jpg

guitarzan2525

Reaction score
I used to own a December, 1968 Dakota Red Strat with maple board. Very hot lead pickup. Unfortunately I sold it years ago to Voltage Guitars in Hollywood..

axe4me

In Memorandum
Reaction score
How about a 2 piece FMT Strat?

1996fendercscontemporarystratfmt.jpg

Attachments

• 1996fendercscontemporarystratfmt.jpg
    1996fendercscontemporarystratfmt.jpg
    255.7 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

wmachine

Reaction score
ACtC-3eick0Ym9ySsoHlSveJW33TEGm_TFV9je29lwwvbOwkp3rdn7Ski6Mr_eSqvxKfM6xU-USGedl5N8uF-wmhVNmTBG_ZqbKxImO2jT0EW3itDyS0eKi9Y4lMk9rleysjbfA40pM5oSRAvtnNNKpxrwG7=w1024-h768-no

JeffMcLeod

Reaction score
Does it have to be red? I mean...don't all strats pretty much look the same anyway? :shrug:

lol

neikeel

Reaction score
I had a MIM Dakota red 50's strat with maple neck etc. Never got on with it and it lasted 12months (traded it in vs a 70s SG).
Compared with my 90s MIJ 62 RI with CS pups and rosewood neck = chalk and cheese.
A red version would be nice (I like the really Knopfler one a friend has one and it is a sweet guitar). Did I mention it it red!?