Plexi “Spoiler Mod” (All info in post #1)

• Thread starter johnnyeggz
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Don't Fuck it up. Yours ears will keep wanting this or that then you'll be overtweaked. Hate that condition.:shock:

So far I like 2 & 3. Be honest I didn't listen to number one.

I like that amp. You're doing good. Don't get greedy. You may already be at the payoff!(sweetspot) Recording reference points very smart. My ears change the more I pummel em.

Killer sounds johnny! My kinda playing.:drool:

johnnyeggz

Reaction score
Don't Fuck it up. Yours ears will keep wanting this or that then you'll be overtweaked. Hate that condition.:shock:

So far I like 2 & 3. Be honest I didn't listen to number one.

I like that amp. You're doing good. Don't get greedy. You may already be at the payoff!(sweetspot) Recording reference points very smart. My ears change the more I pummel em.

Killer sounds johnny! My kinda playing.:drool:
Thanks Man!

I’m just gonna try a coupl’a three things and then call it done.

Raised slope
22uf on v2a
Fixed Depth

Version 1 had what I believe was “blocking distortion” on the Normal channel, you couldn’t raise the knob past 7, 210k wiper to ground fixed that.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Man!

Raised slope
22uf on v2a
Fixed Depth

Version 1 had what I believe was “blocking distortion” on the Normal channel, you couldn’t raise the knob past 7, 210k wiper to ground fixed that.
Looking forward to hearing it. When I listen to a Marshall sounding like yours I think how I'd love to be playing it. I'm right there with ya. Happy you're getting that sound.

jagrenet

Reaction score
Thanks Man!

Raised slope
22uf on v2a
Fixed Depth

I have the same problem with the Bright channel. Past 7 and it oscillates so bad that the amp chokes out the signal. I tried a 220k (wiper to ground) and it completely neutered the sound - dropped the output way too low. Tried a 100k .... same problem .... so, not quite sure how to get around that just yet. I definitely AM going to apply the Fixed Depth to the 4ohm tap. Simply using the 2n2 cap on the normal input, effectively mandates the Fixed Depth. I'm still super curious what 22uF on V2A is going to do.

jagrenet

Reaction score
Thanks Man!

Raised slope
22uf on v2a
Fixed Depth

I have the same problem with the Bright channel. Past 7 and it oscillates so bad that the amp chokes out the signal. I tried a 220k (wiper to ground) and it completely neutered the sound - dropped the output way too low. Tried a 100k .... same problem .... so, not quite sure how to get around that just yet. I definitely AM going to apply the Fixed Depth to the 4ohm tap. Simply using the 2n2 cap on the normal input, effectively mandates the Fixed Depth. I'm still super curious what 22uF on V2A is going to do.
What else has been tried to fix that?
Most likely a lead dress problem.
I initially ran shielded coax for each and every signal connection in the chain and have verified good solid grounding throughout. Double checked all solder connections and re-flowed a few. That's the extent of my investigation.

johnnyeggz

Reaction score
Tried the 43k Slope and 22uf v2a, I liked stock better.

The Depth is cool, but with the PPIMV it’s not really worth doing, because it’s really subtle.

The 210k worked perfectly for me on the Normal Ch.

Fluffy

Reaction score
I'm still assembling this 6V6 plexi, and I've put a 4.7uF & 1K on the normal ch. cathode. I'll put a bright cap on the volume pot. Is 500pF brighter than a 100pF?

johnnyeggz

Reaction score
I'm still assembling this 6V6 plexi, and I've put a 4.7uF & 1K on the normal ch. cathode. I'll put a bright cap on the volume pot. Is 500pF brighter than a 100pF?
It’ll definitely give more bite, but 100pf will be cleaner.

Pete Farrington

Reaction score
I initially ran shielded coax for each and every signal connection in the chain and have verified good solid grounding throughout. Double checked all solder connections and re-flowed a few. That's the extent of my investigation.
Maybe a new (or revisited) thread (with plenty of photos) would be a good idea?

jagrenet

Reaction score
Tried the 43k Slope and 22uf v2a, I liked stock better.

The Depth is cool, but with the PPIMV it’s not really worth doing, because it’s really subtle.

The 210k worked perfectly for me on the Normal Ch.
I added the Fixed Depth to mine this morning ..... Perfect. Exactly what it needed. I also soldered that 10k I was telling you about (making the Tone Slope 23k). This amp is now a freaking tone MONSTER. Truly a BEAST. I believe I am done with this thing. The only thing I have left is the pesky oscillation at 7 on the Bright control. I plan to re-dress Pin 7 on V1B.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Went from 68k/68k to 100k/68k on the Input.

Frigging pinch harmonics pop nicely. This one sounds a bit wooly or verging on. Still sounds great. It sounds like it's going to lose itself. Come apart at the seams. Now that could be a good thing or not depending on what you like. It's a beast.

I like the third mod best(prefer)especially when you solo a bit. It sounded more in control. More my kinda sound.

Digging these tweaks now. Fun to listen and compare.

johnnyeggz

Reaction score
Frigging pinch harmonics pop nicely. This one sounds a bit wooly or verging on. Still sounds great. It sounds like it's going to lose itself. Come apart at the seams. Now that could be a good thing or not depending on what you like. It's a beast.

I like the third mod best(prefer)especially when you solo a bit. It sounded more in control. More my kinda sound.

Digging these tweaks now. Fun to listen and compare.
I’m also thinking 100k/68k might be too much.
But it definitely changes the feel, makes the amp easier to play.

Maybe 82k/68k?

Or maybe leave the 100k/68k and up the Bright cap on the Normal Vol?

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m also thinking 100k/68k might be too much.
But it definitely changes the feel, makes the amp easier to play.

Maybe 82k/68k?

Or maybe leave the 100k/68k and up the Bright cap on the Normal Vol?
I'd call number 4 your "Molten Lava" mod. :agreed:

Well we're exploring. Try the bright cap. See how much it effects the molten lava melting our ears.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bright Channel Mixer
220k/1000pf

Sounds better than Mod 4. This is a great sounding Marshall. Mean. I like the roll off tones too.

I mean we're splitting hairs now. I still like version 3 most. But man either V3 or V5 is good to go.

I think what sets V3 apart for me is the thump(palming)and texture(clarity)you're getting when soloing. Nice responsive bite when you dig in. Stands out to me.

V5 has a bit more aggression. Still excellent though. I mean you being in the room have a much better seat than I do. I am keeping my end consistent. Same speakers for listen back.

Last edited:

johnnyeggz

Reaction score
Sounds better than Mod 4. This is a great sounding Marshall. Mean. I like the roll off tones too.

I mean we're splitting hairs now. I still like version 3 most. But man either V3 or V5 is good to go.

I think what sets V3 apart for me is the thump(palming)and texture(clarity)you're getting when soloing. Nice responsive bite when you dig in. Stands out to me.

V5 has a bit more aggression. Still excellent though. I mean you being in the room have a much better seat than I do. I am keeping my end consistent. Same speakers for listen back.
Thanks man.

v5 is kool, but it’s a bit too thin/bright I think.

Later today, I’m gonna put a 20k in series with the 220k and see what happens.

Latest posts