• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Randy on Eddie

• Thread starter ricksdisconnected
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mickeydg5

Reaction score
The middle east of the united states of America
It is great to see you guys fired up.

It is funny how the greatest guitarist of all time all have their names ending in a vowel, sometimes y.

Randy, Randy, Randy
Eddie, Eddie, Eddie
Jimi, Jimi, Jimi
Satriani, Satriani, Satriani
Vai, Vai, Vai
Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy

Lets see how this goes. :D

junk notes

Reaction score
It is great to see you guys fired up.

It is funny how the greatest guitarist of all time all have their names ending in a vowel, sometimes y.

Randy, Randy, Randy
Eddie, Eddie, Eddie
Jimi, Jimi, Jimi
Satriani, Satriani, Satriani
Vai, Vai, Vai
Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy

Lets see how this goes. :D
not well, since you are using both first and last names with possibilities of endless names.. I would like to throw in Yngwie at this time.:fever:

Guitarpete

Reaction score
No where near Hendrix? Really? So you deny the influence EVH (RIP) had on the guitar community? You deny that EVH changed the way guitars are built & played? You deny that EVH changed the sound of hard rock & how amplifiers are made?

Man, I love Hendrix and can't deny the impact he had at the time, and still has - but to deny EVH has had any less of an impact, if not more, is just...Wow.

On a separate note - This thread reminds me of being 15 again in the garage trying not to get busted for stealing Dad's beer and smoking pot when we jammed and arguing over who's the greatest back in the mid 80's. Very nostalgic. LOL
No where near Hendrix? Really? So you deny the influence EVH (RIP) had on the guitar community? You deny that EVH changed the way guitars are built & played? You deny that EVH changed the sound of hard rock & how amplifiers are made?

Man, I love Hendrix and can't deny the impact he had at the time, and still has - but to deny EVH has had any less of an impact, if not more, is just...Wow.

On a separate note - This thread reminds me of being 15 again in the garage trying not to get busted for stealing Dad's beer and smoking pot when we jammed and arguing over who's the greatest back in the mid 80's. Very nostalgic. LOL

Hendrix is the source of the river

idw357

Reaction score
They most definitely did!

Your opinion versus mine.

Hendrix was great in the 60's. Then he was over. You are caught up in YOUR era.
Agree, you can hear it in every subsequent album. Hendrix wasn't deep enough. Sometimes he sounded like he had just run out of ideas. But EVH continued to come up with new licks throughout his entire life. I was an early fan of Hendrix. I was buying every single album when they first came out (yeah, I'm that old). But I did stop when he started to sound stale.

VSdude63

Reaction score
Django Reinhart, was the start of guitar craze, and was the influencer of many current guitarists, including Chet Atkens, all the blues 'Kings', Chuck Berry, Bill Haley, & a slew of many guitar virtuoso players, that seriously studied the craft...

Music Technology will always produce new & exciting guitarists and will create new ways of playing and mastering the fretboard!

...but it all had to start with the influencer of guitar & Django was no slouch, considering he had 3 fingers to play jazz, which also inspired a young Tony Iommi who suffered early on a missing digit from a factory job, to play guitar in one of the worlds best known & copied band, Black Sabbath!

So have a listen to a Django recording, and you'll soon discover an unknown legend among your favorite guitarists and also be inspired and educated, and not be so stuck on a household name brand, as there are many great musicians that hadnt reached your ears!

eberly

Reaction score
Back to the original post, that's a great video, fun to watch.

But EVH over Hendrix? That just doesn't pass the smell test. At all. I mean, c'mon, we're all fans here, but really? I mean I can't say I didn't chuckle at the possibility this forum might not even exist without Hendrix. (Jim Marshall literally said Jimi was "The best ambassador Marshall has ever had.")

Hendrix was a true innovator. Nobody really sounded like him, before or after. He basically re-defined the way we view how a guitar could sound, and influenced so many of the devices we literally plug in to today. No wah, no fuzz, heavy distortion, high gain amps, so many recording techniques...it goes on & on. And while EVH improved upon some sounds and had his own style, he certainly popularized things like tapping, but he really didn't invent any new ways of doing things. He just did some really cool things really really well.

I'd also confidently go to court that EVH is nowhere near as advanced of a player. Don't believe me? Try to play them both note-for-note. You'll find EVH is miles easier to emulate. Hendrix has melodies and rhythm tracks that are damn near always changing and almost never can be played by a single mortal exactly the same as the original. I hear people doing note-for-note EVH covers all the time. In fact I'd bet most of you arguing here can't play Hendrix exactly as on the album--but how many of you jam EVH verbatim on a regular basis?

That said, I'm not bashing EVH, and there's no question Eddie's influence is huge to many who play guitar. He's certainly a huge titan that belongs on the Mt Rushmore of guitar players. But THE titan? As much as I friggin love EVH too--and I play his guitar every day--there's no way!

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
I'd also confidently go to court that EVH is nowhere near as advanced of a player. Don't believe me? Try to play them both note-for-note. You'll find EVH is miles easier to emulate. Hendrix has melodies and rhythm tracks that are damn near always changing and almost never can be played by a single mortal exactly the same as the original. I hear people doing note-for-note EVH covers all the time. In fact I'd bet most of you arguing here can't play Hendrix exactly as on the album--but how many of you jam EVH verbatim on a regular basis?

rotgdflmfao!
laughter.png

VSdude63

Reaction score
IMHO, the best guitarist is subjective, just like tone. EVH is my personal favorite, but I still love Hendrix, Randy Rhoads, Page, Gary Moore, Lynch, Vivian Campbell....huge fan of Vivian Campbell.

Hell, ever see Brad Gillis covering Randy Rhoads when he was with Ozzy? I think I might like it better than RR.....

What were we talking about? Oh yea, sorry.....

Great playing indeed, but also got boring and ear fatigue quickly...

bobzilla322000

Reaction score

I wasn’t around then but from what I read and hear from those who were, Hendrix was more of a WTF moment than even Eddie. If you heard Hendrix your entire childhood you can’t possibly imagine what it was like to hear it for the first time. Same as Eddie and kids now of course. (in response to tallcoolone)

Jimmi is the whole reason I picked up a guitar. He is the first to have done what no one else did, create a sound, that no one else had heard, a style that no one else had played. EVH had a different style, but tuning a guitar down was nothing new, sabbath, zeplin, even ac/dc (that's right, even AC/DC) tuned down half and whole steps before EVH was even a thought. The only thing EVH had going for him was his style, mainly tapping. Jimmi's music will live on, because of the influence it carries with it. (Voodoo Chile, and Slight Return, if 6 was 9, Redhouse, Castles made of sand (bob dylan), Foxy Lady, Purple Haze, and finally, Hey Joe.

Van Halen got famous for rewrites of songs, you really got me (kinks) pretty woman (roy Orborson) To say they are both even is not an accurate statement. Where Jimmi lead, others followed, and still are. Jimmi's music will long live on, and be remembered for some of the political influence it had on the 60's and 70's. EVH just doesn't come close to carrying that weight.

jhs5150

Reaction score
VH played & recorded a lot of covers...

You Really Got Me
You're No Good
Pretty Woman
Dancin' in the Streets
Ice Cream Man
Where Have All the Good Times Gone

there were more...
They did...and almost all of them were better than the originals. Ed's arrangement of Dancin' in the Street ridiculous!

Karl Brake

Reaction score
This discussion has turned into a Super Bowl, one team vs. the other. Can anyone actually talk about the music?????

mcblink

Reaction score
Lol
Some of y'all seem just a little bit too emotionally invested in this..."debate"

I guess it's human nature to have competition, rivalries, tribalisms, etc...

No doubt Jimi was incredible. So was Randy. So was Ed. But they are all unique individuals with their own unique thing going on. Trying to compare them with each other is a bit like the ol' apples and oranges comparison, IMO.

They all get credit for their individual major accomplishments in my book.

Latest posts