Ridiculou$

• Thread starter JeffMcLeod
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Moony

Reaction score
The main thing is inflation above all else.

Of course it is.
Tubes, electronic components, wood etc. got more expensive too.

But as I've said, the prices for Marshall amps in the UK/EU are still fine - and I'd bet you would celebrate these if they were the same in the US.
So it's not primarly Marshall's fault.

When Mesa was distributed via Meinl company in Germany the prices for their amps were insanely high - now Gibson took over and the prices dropped.

lespaul339

Reaction score
Cheaper just to build your own. That's what I'll do from here on out. I like the classic 4 holers all the way up to the 800, so it's a no brainer for me. Plus, you end up with a nicer amp than what you can buy from Marshall for less money. And you know your amp inside and out when you're done.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just added the Origin prices to the list of Marshalls current prices, and what a shock!

First, it seems the Origin 5 is no longer offered, I couldn’t find them new anywhere.

Remember about a year and a half or two years ago, Marshall dropped the prices of the Origin line.

They had a hard time selling them, you could find a Origin 20 head for around $350 some places.

What a difference a year or two has made,…

Today’s Origin prices from Sweetwater,

Origin 20h $650
Origin 20c $750
Origin 50h $750
Origin 50c $900

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
I don’t think that prices of gear in the UK have gone up anywhere as much as in the US . Probably to do with exchange rates and import taxes , not sure I’ve not looked recently but I’m fairly confident that’s most likely the case .

jeffb

Reaction score
Fortunately, I managed to find my #1 (and last, unless I win the lotto or someone dies and wills me some cash) Les Paul in mid 2020, and it was still under "reasonable" pricing and built before the labor/worker/shutdowns issue became a real problem.

Unfortunately I am not where I want to be with Marshall amps, and things look ugly for the future with increase after increase.

I'm thankful I at least have my Origin20H despite my love/hate affair with it, but really wishing I had kept my OR15 at this point.

jeffb

Reaction score
I just added the Origin prices to the list of Marshalls current prices, and what a shock!

First, it seems the Origin 5 is no longer offered, I couldn’t find them new anywhere.

Remember about a year and a half or two years ago, Marshall dropped the prices of the Origin line.

They had a hard time selling them, you could find a Origin 20 head for around $350 some places.

What a difference a year or two has made,…

Today’s Origin prices from Sweetwater,

Origin 20h $650
Origin 20c $750
Origin 50h $750
Origin 50c $900
Yep, and I was really pissed that I paid $499 for my ORI20H when they were initially released, and then not long after Marshall dropped the prices $100.

Now $499 would be a sweet deal for a new one.

Nuckin' Futz.

mrjones2004x

Reaction score
In uk we lucky I guess as things haven’t really gone up too much. I looked a few of the amps listed in original post. Dsl1h is £199 still which I think is dirt cheap. Dsl40cr was 649 I think also.
Mesa has always been very expensive here. I haven’t read all the comments so hopefully I’m not repeating everyone else
Most stuff is out of stock tho.
What’s stops us here in UK purchasing and sending overseas just covering postal costs? I see no problem doing that. I know mains voltages different but I assume most amps can be set depending where they go easy enough

Last edited:

Rokinroller

Reaction score
This not only about Marshalls specifically at all . I saw a local add for a late 80's PV Bandit , guy askin $550.00 !! That is one sick dreamer ! Last 90's Bandit I had , I paid $ 80 .00 , was a newer better model and mint shape ! That was only a couple years ago . For the last 10 years used PV bandits were $150 tops or less for super clean mint ones ! World gone nuts almost overnight .

Old Punker

Reaction score
I was about to start a similar thread. I've been thinking about buying a Studio Vintage for awhile. After watching some of Johan's videos on it, that was it. Selling some gear and getting it. Look it up and... $1899.99 Canadian?!! $2100 after tax?!! Sheesh, it was only $1499 a few months ago. That's into full Plexi territory. Used ones are now $1600. I'll stick with the DSL 50.
I'm glad I already have pretty much everything I think I actually need. There's no way I'd be paying these crazy prices right now! The last four major purchases I made were all used so better bang for the buck. But I get the impression used prices are now starting to go wild as well.

1649101359906.png

Last edited:

BRMarshall

Reaction score
I bought my Origin20H almost 2 years ago for $400 with the idea of buying a DSL20HR ($500 then) to have both. Well, I didn’t buy one earlier and prices have gone way up. I’m a home noodler with electric guitars so I just can’t justify the now current price - I just won’t. When they start filling warehouses maybe the prices will drop. Until then, I’ll not add to the demand.

ken361

Reaction score
Fortunately, I managed to find my #1 (and last, unless I win the lotto or someone dies and wills me some cash) Les Paul in mid 2020, and it was still under "reasonable" pricing and built before the labor/worker/shutdowns issue became a real problem.

Unfortunately I am not where I want to be with Marshall amps, and things look ugly for the future with increase after increase.

I'm thankful I at least have my Origin20H despite my love/hate affair with it, but really wishing I had kept my OR15 at this point.
Got my Les Paul at gc 2300 out the door it was 25 plus tax. I asked for a deal 🤝 most I spent on a guitar.

Last edited:

Tatzmann

Reaction score
Last real rock talent was gone
probably 30 years ago. Gearwhores
should be grateful to have gotten
the opportunity to buy new amps,
guitars and such things at all over the
past decades.

Almost no one on this board can use
a JTM45 in the way it is intended to be
used...so why produce it affordable?

The last real leap in the guitaramp universe
was the cascaded input...that was almost
50 years ago...no...Kemper...Sampler..is
no breakthrough.

Let the Moneysacks grab those crappy SV
amps, they get what they deserve.

Glorified xhina budget Marshalls

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A quick google search says $300 in 1994 is about the same as $574 today. Still very cheap back then! Obviously wages were less, but still...
That was used prices, if you could even get that for them. Crazy to think especially now with used 800 2203/04s approaching 2k plus.

I bought a brand spanking new 82 JCM800 2204 back in the day..in 82 or 83 and I paid $765 out the door. A lot of coin back then.

Rokinroller

Reaction score
Back in around 94-95 , after selling my - at the time boring - but mint condition 82 JCM800 2204 for $500 , I bought a brand new in the box JCM900DR100 with the 5881 package for @950 out the door . It didn't hurt at all . Things like food , gas , clothes , cars etc were in much better proportion to our wages back then . You could eat out at lunch for less than $6.00 with tip . A mug of beer was barely a buck at the tavern .... etc . Funny , I miss that 900DR and not the 800 . Then came all that silly expensive 90's rack gear . What a waste that was .