• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Satriani goes JVM 410H

BrotherJ

Reaction score
Argh!

All this got too much for me so i just went out and got their album today - gotta say, I like it! :dude:

Does anyone know if the recorded tracks on the album were the JSX or JVM?

MKB

Reaction score
It would be very interesting to compare the artist endorsement policies of Peavey and Marshall. I'd bet the explanation of this and perhaps the EVH issue would be contained therein.

eddiegj

Reaction score
Argh!

All this got too much for me so i just went out and got their album today - gotta say, I like it! :dude:

Does anyone know if the recorded tracks on the album were the JSX or JVM?
Correction the artical was actually in the Sept. issue of Guitar Player. Titled "Joe's Chickenfoot Tone Recipes" Amps listed were JSX 120, JSX 50 and JSX Mini Colossal He didn't mention Marshall.

Ed

Dallas

Reaction score
According to Jim Marshall, in his book and in interviews he does not give endorsments/ free amps. Famous guitarists get their amps from him for wholesale price which means the company looses no money and the artist pays no matter what. If it's true?
I personally hope they are not endorsing. It's nice to think that there are musicians out there playing something that they believe in, and not just anything that comes with a paycheck. I myself am tired of seeing these guys rave about how great their new, Guitar/Amp/Pedal/Pickups/Cable.......the list goes on, is and then seeing them a year or two later trying to sell me something else that they say is the greatest. It really sucks.
I personally have one sig. guitar, a Les Paul standard. Thats enough for (almost) anything.

Australian

Green Beret
VIP Member
Reaction score
What is a couple of grand to Satriani? Endorsement or no endorsement, Satriani is playing what he prefers.

tarznamps

Reaction score
Confused - is he playing 410's or 210's or both....

This is from the Marshall web site in Nov. 2009 and it says (2) 210H's.

chickenfoot-jkimmel-graphic.jpg

Supergroup Chickenfoot have been going from strength to strength. Formed last year by ex-Van Halen singer Sammy Hagar, he enlisted former Van Halen bassist Michael Anthony, Red Hot Chili Peppers drummer Chad Smith and guitar virtuoso Joe Satriani to create one of the most talked about collaborations of 2009.

Joe Satriani, who earlier in the year was using his JSX signature head, decided to switch over to Marshall and has never looked back since. Now the proud owner of a JVM210H Joe can be seen on stage as well as in the studio with his beloved Marshall behind him. Last Thursday (5th November) Chickenfoot featured on ABC-TV's "Jimmy Kimmel Live!" where they performed 'Sexy Little Thing' with Joe shredding in front of two JVM210H half stacks. Click here to watch that awesome performance.

Darrenw5094

Reaction score
Confused - is he playing 410's or 210's or both....

Click here to watch that awesome performance.

Where?

Q asked earlier, Coldplay and Satch settled out of court, which suggests to me that Coldplay were woried about something. :dude:

Wonder why he settled on the JVM as he only ever uses the clean channel with a od pedal.

Interesting to know exactly what mods were done and exactly what valves is in there.

wkcchampion

Reaction score
This raises an interesting discussion: why did he go back to marshall, and specifically, the jvm 410h, when he has his own line of amps with peavey?/QUOTE]

Money / sponsorship. Very simple. He doesn't care at all what amp(s) he plays live. He just sells himself to the best offer. That's business, nothing strange or new.
And how do u know that he's really playing that amp? It may just be on for demonstration. H may be using something else behind the stage.

Australian

Green Beret
VIP Member
Reaction score
I would put my money on JS is really using the amps live, because he seems to be a person with alot integrity.

j2112c

Reaction score
I want to sound like me, not somebody else. I don't buy sig amps or guitars.
:):)Yes! I never buy them either. Agreed! In addition... it does not matter whos' set up you copy or have a go of... you always end up sounding like you... it is in the hands like handwriting... and some of us are doomed to bad handwriting!:):)

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score
It seems most of his latest video shows he's using the JSX amps Live , at least thats what i have seen . But you bring a good point ....he could play a CRATE and make it sound damn good !! LOL !!

hacksaw

Reaction score
When Chickenfoot came to our area, I scoped out the stage and the FOH board.. all JVM210H amps. They rocked.

xrlnt6

Reaction score
:):)Yes! I never buy them either. Agreed! In addition... it does not matter whos' set up you copy or have a go of... you always end up sounding like you... it is in the hands like handwriting... and some of us are doomed to bad handwriting!:):)

so very true

RICHIE GRIMES

Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MaO0yObNfV4&feature=feedlik]YouTube - Rig Rundown - Joe Satriani[/ame]

Gblev

Reaction score
No offense, but all of these "signature series" amps are a joke... Contrary to what they want us to believe, the circuits on signature series amps vary very little - if any at all - from regular stock models of that same amp. Why pay extra for some guy's signature on the front and a slightly different bias on the tubes? Gibson and Fender have been running that hustle for years... Remember, Jimi played a regular old Strat; just like SRV did... Marshall amps are already expensive enough - without paying more for one to get Satriani's last name is inked on the front... Trust me on this: "You will not sound anymore like Satriani now by playing thru a Marshall than you did by playing thru a Peavey..." :)

I don't know where you get that the sig. amps are more expensive than the regular stock, because a Marshall Plexi 1959SLP 100W sells new for $2349 (USD), where the AFD is selling for $1999 (USD.) Sigs look to be about the same or a little cheaper, when compared to a model of equal stature, not to mention a it's a limited edition. The JCM Slash still holds pretty good value.

AudioWonderland

Reaction score
He had it going on with the 6100 and should have struck a deal back before he signed with Peavey and maybe he tried but Peavey made him a better offer, but it also looks like he's trolling for the better deal here folks. It's obvious he's about endorsements and a few of his products are pretty lame imo in fact the JSX is about the only thing 'signature' of his that I've personally tried that I actually like, all the rest, meh.

You can get the same thing cheaper or better that doesn't have his red color or sig on it.

imo...

I am sure he will keep that in mind when you are paying his bills....

Its called a business for a reason.

Username2

Reaction score
Contrary to what people may believe Marshall does not pay artists to use their amps, they never have. They may offer them the amps at a great price but they also do not "give" any of their amps away for free, they never have.

The signature amps are built in very limited quantities and are not very profitable for Marshall, but they recognize on a worldwide scale the market for the amps. From where you sit it may not make sense but we don't see all the data they do on worldwide demand.

I very much disagree that these signature amps are basically the same as a production model, look at amps like the AFD and YJM or even the 1959RR, very different. I suspect you will see all these artist amps come to a end soon, but we will also see some of the best amps Marshall has ever built hitting the market within two years, they are very good at keeping things quite.