• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Satriani goes JVM 410H

yladrd61

Reaction score
I agree with you 100 per cent and maybe I didn't make myself clear. I was just stating the fact that when you pull a celeb in like Satriani, if your Marshall, you just don't stand around with your hands in your pockets. They want to use the guy as a marketing tool. That's what they are paying him for. I agree that sig amps are a farce and not just Marshall's. Like you said, Gibson and Fender are doing it to with their sig guitars and charging a bundle. The Johnny Winters Firebird is off the hook...over 7 G's for a weathered, beat up replica. Note: I want to sound like me, not somebody else. I don't buy sig amps or guitars.

Marty

Yeah Signature models are a joke. But if you have ever seen Johnnny Winter play Highway 61 on his real '64 Gibson Firebird. There ain't nothing like the real thing !!! He may have to sit in a chair now but he is still Muddy Waters' albino son !!!

bhm1905

Reaction score
its simple joe satriani one of the best guitarists of all time goes back to marshall the best amp maker of all time ,its simple really:wave:

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
Any news on his signature series amp?
Some time next year, or perhaps preorders in mid december but that's really just a guess. You could email marshall and ask them when marketing will begin for the Satch JVM (it doesn't hurt to ask, and you may actually receive that information.

You might also try asking Santiago Alvarez, since he is the person designing the Satch amp (he's a busy guy, but he sometimes drops by.

You can also try looking at Satriani's website for hints. Many times, the release of a new signature series amplifier will coincide with the release of a new album (either a Satch record or a Chickenfoot record.

A few other signature Marshalls coming out next year, too. Until then, keep saving up.

Blisster

Reaction score
No offense, but all of these "signature series" amps are a joke... Contrary to what they want us to believe, the circuits on signature series amps vary very little - if any at all - from regular stock models of that same amp. Why pay extra for some guy's signature on the front and a slightly different bias on the tubes? Gibson and Fender have been running that hustle for years... Remember, Jimi played a regular old Strat; just like SRV did... Marshall amps are already expensive enough - without paying more for one to get Satriani's last name is inked on the front... Trust me on this: "You will not sound anymore like Satriani now by playing thru a Marshall than you did by playing thru a Peavey..." :)

I disagree in the case of the 2203KK. Its a true re-issue of the very same amp Kerry King has been using for 20+ years to get his signature tone.
The AFD and the YJM may be different stories however.

big dooley

VIP Member
Reaction score
I disagree in the case of the 2203KK. Its a true re-issue of the very same amp Kerry King has been using for 20+ years to get his signature tone.
The AFD and the YJM may be different stories however.

the satriani JVM has a circuit, that is different from the original JVM... and not only by a couple resistors or capacitors...

as for AFD and YJM... they simply made what the artist wanted... as with the satch JVM and the 2203KK... this is what a sig is all about...

MadIrishman

Reaction score
Satriani talks about his signature model in this months Guitarist magazine from the UK.

JS: "The star of this record was the prototype of a version of the Marshall JVM410 that (engineer) Santiago Alvarez made for me, which is going to be a signature model. Channels 4, 3, and 2, are totally unique now, but channel 1 is mode 1, which is now more like the original Marshall 30th Anniversary 6100 at my request."

Guitarist issue 346 ? on sale now! | Guitarist | MusicRadar.com

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
The more I read about Satch's signature "JVM," the more I realize it is true that it isn't really gonna be a "true" JVM since he is incorporating tonal characteristics of the 6100 and AFD 100. Satch's signature Marshall will create quite a buzz, but from what I'm now reading, I doubt I'll even give it a play at the music stores (I'm more interested in the 50th anniversary amp and the new zakk wylde signature.

If Marshall would consider doing this, I would be interested in purchasing another JVM with the stock features but with at least one of the following added features:

1. noise gate similar to JCM 800 2203KK and YJM 100
2. EPA similar to YJM100 and AFD 100
3. Adjustable external bias similar to YJM100 and AFD 100
4. Faulty valve alert system with LEDs similar to YJM100 and AFD 100

Though I haven't seen the finished Satriani Marshall, I think I'd rather have a new JVM with one of these added features instead.

alvagoldbook

Reaction score
Aw hell. And I was about to buy a JVM. I can't now, knowing a douche like Satriani plays one.

:D

trigmachine

Reaction score
regardless of what Satch plays through he's gonna sound like Satch be it Peavey or Marshall i shoukd imagine its nothing more than fancying a change with the added insentive of some cash!

spacerocker

Reaction score
Sounds like it is going to be a very interesting amp!

I have to laugh when I think of the amount of flaming I received on certain forums, for complaining that the JVM is too compressed and tight sounding, didn't sound "classic" enough on the crunch channels, and didn't feel "dynamic" enough for me...Consequently, I carried out several mods suggested by people here and elsewhere (and sometimes Santiago himself) to get the amp to sound and play how I wanted...

Now, a couple of years later, we have Joe saying that he wants the amp modded for a more classic sound, wants a bit less gain on the OD channels, and wants the amp to be more dynamic, and suddenly, everyone thinks these changes are cool :lol:

Seriously, though apart from the lack of built in reverb, (if that happens on the production amps) - the JS sig JVM sounds fantastic, and a lot closer to what I wanted in the first place!

spacerocker

Reaction score
Santiago was kind enough to send me this link awhile back.

iGuitar Magazine Issue 2 Joe Satriani

I am really looking forward to the final product.

Very interesting feature. Santiago is obviously a very knowlegable and articulate guy.

But I always find it helps, when listening to someone with quite a strong Spanish accent - to have a wailing guitar sound-track blasting away in the background!

carrots

Reaction score
Okay, here's what I don't get. I saw a video from Premiere Guitar where Satriani and his tech talk in different videos about his gear with Chickenfoot. In both instances and in You Tube videos, he's using the Satchurator pedal into his Peavey's

This news from Marshall must be REALLY new. Begs to ask the question though...betcha that Satchurator pedal is on his pedal board, but why if you're using either a Marshall JVM or his Peavey?

I've never understood why you'd use a distortion pedal with an amp capable of all that gain.

I like the sach pedal........ Been using it for about 2 years.

Also Joe is working on a Marshall amp that will be releases with his stamp on it this coming year. Its a JVM with some teakes. Theirs a video of him talking about it on you tube.

Latest posts