• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Satriani goes JVM 410H

KH Guitar Freak

Reaction score
Sounds like it is going to be a very interesting amp!

I have to laugh when I think of the amount of flaming I received on certain forums, for complaining that the JVM is too compressed and tight sounding, didn't sound "classic" enough on the crunch channels, and didn't feel "dynamic" enough for me...Consequently, I carried out several mods suggested by people here and elsewhere (and sometimes Santiago himself) to get the amp to sound and play how I wanted...

Now, a couple of years later, we have Joe saying that he wants the amp modded for a more classic sound, wants a bit less gain on the OD channels, and wants the amp to be more dynamic, and suddenly, everyone thinks these changes are cool :lol:

Seriously, though apart from the lack of built in reverb, (if that happens on the production amps) - the JS sig JVM sounds fantastic, and a lot closer to what I wanted in the first place!

Honestly, not too keen on the digital reverb IMO. Even the reverb on the DSL/TSL sounds more natural to me. That being said, I too don't really like the regular JVM. My gripe with it is that it's too noisy. I had to use a noisegate with one. Seems like the noise issue has been addressed on the Satch sig model, even without the noisegate engaged. I'd be very interested to try one out...

Classic 59

Reaction score
What happened? I thought amp was going to be released at NAMM.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1O442ahZ8E]Interview w/ Joe Satriani : Marshall Signature Series Amp Head - Winter NAMM 2012 - YouTube[/ame]

brp

Reaction score
Ya he talks about spending "2 tours and 2 albums" testing it. Well where the hell is it then?

Username2

Reaction score
Argh!

All this got too much for me so i just went out and got their album today - gotta say, I like it! :dude:

Does anyone know if the recorded tracks on the album were the JSX or JVM?

The new Chickenfoot CD was the JVM all the way.

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
@Classic59: thanks for posting this interview of Satch at NAMM 2012.

I was initially skeptical of the Satch signature JVM, but now I'm really liking what I'm hearing. I've owned the 410H for over 3 years now, so I am familiar to the features and options.

*Clean channel change: I like the idea of changing the way the clean channel works on the 410H. One of the features I really disliked was the removal of the channel volume from the circuit of Clean channel/Green mode. Clean/Green used the gain control as a volume control, but this through Clean/orange and clean/red out of whack a little, but it also required the player to really work a little harder getting a balanced voume level across all the other channels as well. You can find a decent balance between clean/green and clean/orange and clean/red, but I think that things could be easier if they had just left the clean/green volume in the circuit. It's possible that Satch also had the same concern, which might be one of the changes made to the Satch JVM. If clean/green does in deed include the channel volume in the circuit, then I'm very interested in the availability of this amp in the future.

*Built-in noise gate: I love the idea of a noise gate on a JVM. Sure, you can buy a noise gate from ISP, Boss, Rocktron, MXR, etc., but I'm a fan of amps with built in noise gates, especially those designed by Santiago Alvarez, such as those found on the JCM800 2203KK and YJM100. All high gain amps have the potential to emit a lot of noise, so it's nice to have an amp that can produce high gain but also have a noise gate that is specifically designed to handle the noise from those high gain frequencies. Qualities like threshhold and decay are have a direct relationship with the signal to noise ratio, so it helps if the same guys who design an amp also design it's noise gate to ensure the best possible sound without loss of qualities such as sustain, tone, etc. Satch said that his JVM is more punchy and allows for greater dynamics; if this is true, then the built-in noise gate must be remarkable since it's not killing or reducing these elements that so many other nose gates seem to diminish. A JVM with a built-in noise gate is a beautiful thing, so the Satch JVM sounds very interesting to me.

*No reverb: Satch says they got rid of the reverb. I am wondering if he means they got rid of the digital reverb or if they got rid of the reverb altogether. I liked the digital reverb of the JVM410H, but I wouldn't be opposed to a spring reverb. I'd be a little concerned with having to use a pedal, multi-effects unit, or rack unit for reverb, but I don't see it as a real deal breaker.

*Four channel, three channels per mode: glad they kept this feature. I hope that they didn't change the tonal topology too much, as the 410H's channels and modes were really spectacular.

*simplified FX loop: I really wonder what this means. The serial/parallel FX loop on the 410H really gave players a lot of options that allowed the player cultivate his/her sound. Features such as mix control (for dry/wet) and FX level button (+4 dBV or -10 dBV) really gave players a lot of freedom and control over their sound. It seems that people had trouble getting a good balance between their effects levels and the bypassed sound. I think that a lot of players really didn't understand just how deep the editing features of their effects units, but they also didn't understand the concept of serial/parallel (I know I didn't at first, but I do now). I, too had trouble getting my multi-effects unit to sound great through the loop, but once I really read the manual and understood just the depth of the editing features (some were even "hidden features"), then I could really get the most out of the unit and make it shine. So, I'm really curious to learn more about the 410H's FX loop and compare/contrast those differences. For me, this could be a deal breaker if the FX loop is too simplified or sacrifices too much control, but the real test will be the sound.

Looking forward to seeing and hearing more about this JVM.

big dooley

VIP Member
Reaction score
*simplified FX loop: I really wonder what this means. The serial/parallel FX loop on the 410H really gave players a lot of options that allowed the player cultivate his/her sound. Features such as mix control (for dry/wet) and FX level button (+4 dBV or -10 dBV) really gave players a lot of freedom and control over their sound. It seems that people had trouble getting a good balance between their effects levels and the bypassed sound. I think that a lot of players really didn't understand just how deep the editing features of their effects units, but they also didn't understand the concept of serial/parallel (I know I didn't at first, but I do now). I, too had trouble getting my multi-effects unit to sound great through the loop, but once I really read the manual and understood just the depth of the editing features (some were even "hidden features"), then I could really get the most out of the unit and make it shine. So, I'm really curious to learn more about the 410H's FX loop and compare/contrast those differences. For me, this could be a deal breaker if the FX loop is too simplified or sacrifices too much control, but the real test will be the sound.

the loop on the satch will be the same as the one on the AFD100 if i remember correctly... that means it'll be serial with a return level control, which can boost the signal upto 10dB... with nothing plugged into the loop you can use it as a serious volume boost when you engage it... for me it would be better

The Ozzk

Reaction score
So Big D are you thinking about getting the JVM-S and link it to your JVM?:wow:

Classic 59

Reaction score
@Classic59: thanks for posting this interview of Satch at NAMM 2012.

I was initially skeptical of the Satch signature JVM, but now I'm really liking what I'm hearing. I've owned the 410H for over 3 years now, so I am familiar to the features and options.

*Clean channel change: I like the idea of changing the way the clean channel works on the 410H. One of the features I really disliked was the removal of the channel volume from the circuit of Clean channel/Green mode. Clean/Green used the gain control as a volume control, but this through Clean/orange and clean/red out of whack a little, but it also required the player to really work a little harder getting a balanced voume level across all the other channels as well. You can find a decent balance between clean/green and clean/orange and clean/red, but I think that things could be easier if they had just left the clean/green volume in the circuit. It's possible that Satch also had the same concern, which might be one of the changes made to the Satch JVM. If clean/green does in deed include the channel volume in the circuit, then I'm very interested in the availability of this amp in the future.

*Built-in noise gate: I love the idea of a noise gate on a JVM. Sure, you can buy a noise gate from ISP, Boss, Rocktron, MXR, etc., but I'm a fan of amps with built in noise gates, especially those designed by Santiago Alvarez, such as those found on the JCM800 2203KK and YJM100. All high gain amps have the potential to emit a lot of noise, so it's nice to have an amp that can produce high gain but also have a noise gate that is specifically designed to handle the noise from those high gain frequencies. Qualities like threshhold and decay are have a direct relationship with the signal to noise ratio, so it helps if the same guys who design an amp also design it's noise gate to ensure the best possible sound without loss of qualities such as sustain, tone, etc. Satch said that his JVM is more punchy and allows for greater dynamics; if this is true, then the built-in noise gate must be remarkable since it's not killing or reducing these elements that so many other nose gates seem to diminish. A JVM with a built-in noise gate is a beautiful thing, so the Satch JVM sounds very interesting to me.

*No reverb: Satch says they got rid of the reverb. I am wondering if he means they got rid of the digital reverb or if they got rid of the reverb altogether. I liked the digital reverb of the JVM410H, but I wouldn't be opposed to a spring reverb. I'd be a little concerned with having to use a pedal, multi-effects unit, or rack unit for reverb, but I don't see it as a real deal breaker.

*Four channel, three channels per mode: glad they kept this feature. I hope that they didn't change the tonal topology too much, as the 410H's channels and modes were really spectacular.

MonstersOfTheMidway, Thank you very much for your detailed post. I am really looking forward to seeing what Santiago and Joe Satriani come up with. I am very impressed with what I have read so far. I know if JS puts his name on something it has to be perfect and Santiago has taken Marshall to a whole new level.

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
MonstersOfTheMidway, Thank you very much for your detailed post. I am really looking forward to seeing what Santiago and Joe Satriani come up with. I am very impressed with what I have read so far. I know if JS puts his name on something it has to be perfect and Santiago has taken Marshall to a whole new level.
Thank you for taking the time to chime in.
I, too, share your feelings now that I've seen just how long JS and Santiago have been working on this amp.
I love my 410H, but also curious to see and hear this version of the 410H.

Classic 59

Reaction score
Excelent Guitar World interview with Mr. Satriani. It looks like it will be introduced this month at Musikmesse. They really went the extra mile with this one. I am really looking forward to the launch of this Amp!! You can read all about it here.

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
http://www.guitarworld.com/interview-jo ... is-3d-film

It looks like it will be introduced this month at Musikmesse. They really went the extra mile with this one. I am really looking forward to the launch of this Amp!!
Yeah. I just read about this, too, from a link on his facebook page. Interesting read.

He mentions in his home studio, one of the "first production run" Satch JVM is covered in "blue vinyl"-I'm wondering what he means here. Will there be two offerings of the same amp model, with one version featuring a blue "vinyl" covering, and maybe the rest in traditional black tolex? I know that the AFD100 head, for example, was released in two versions, which makes me think that Marshall might take the same approach with the Satch JVM.

I found it strange that he wanted OD2 to be a "carbon copy" of OD1 (even Satch states that it sounds odd to make this choice), but I understand his reasoning is based on "having the same setup at different volumes."

I agree with his assessment of OD2 having a scooped sound (even the stock JVM handbook uses the same description). I also agrre that higher gain settings promote a "natural compression" (particularly in OD2 orange and red mode of a stock 410H), but I think that in the interview it seems to me that he is implying that the compression is big problem, which to me it is not. Depending on your settings, you can, on a stock 410H, dial in that compression, but you can also certainly dial it out. The EQ, resonance, presence, and gain controls on a stock 410H are extremely responsive and make a huge impact on tone with even the slightest rotation either way. The nature of your guitar pickups and the speakers you use will also have an influence in the aspect of natural compression. Finally, you can reduce some of that compression by switching from EL34 to KT88. I can only guess that Satriani didn't want to spend too much time messing with his gear, which is understandable. It's cool that he put a scoop switch in there to return the OD1 and OD2 to their basic stock sound, but my point is that on the original/stock 410H, the natural compression he speaks of can be tuned out with the aforementioned amp controls and other gear choices, and thus isn't that much of a problem (at least for me it isn't.

I hope he uses his signature JVM on Leno tonight.

Last edited:

dreyn77

Reaction score
Hey GUys go down to you local food outlet and buy yourself 2 cokes and tell me if they are different. Mate I swear I drank a coke and it was really wonderfull!!! Unique. Signature. Nup they're all different. I had my picture taken next to the BIG coke poster cause it makes me look really good. Maybe he needs to change the amp settings midway through a song! Why does zakk need $100 just to say hello to me? At least little stevie V felt guilty enough he thought he would teach people something for the money! If you have got something signed it's now worth $100.

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
Hey GUys go down to you local food outlet and buy yourself 2 cokes and tell me if they are different. Mate I swear I drank a coke and it was really wonderfull!!! Unique. Signature. Nup they're all different. I had my picture taken next to the BIG coke poster cause it makes me look really good. Maybe he needs to change the amp settings midway through a song! Why does zakk need $100 just to say hello to me? At least little stevie V felt guilty enough he thought he would teach people something for the money! If you have got something signed it's now worth $100.
"Dude, U RAWK!"

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
According to Marshall's FB page, it looks like Marshall will debut the Joe Satriani edition JVM410H next week in Frankfurt.:applause:

Ufortunately, Marshall's FB page doesn't indicate if Satriani will be there, but I suspect he will.

Additionally, Marshall states it will display the entire range of 50th anniversaty 1 watt amps and "a few surprises."
I may have to buy a aiplane ticket to Germany now.:hmm:

Latest posts