Satriani Marshall and backstabbery on Peavey

• Thread starter quiksilver98
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gtrman

Reaction score
I dunno. An EVH 1959 HW signature model might be worth some coin.

I would be first in line for that one .. would probably be a very long line ...
Never liked his Peavey's or his latest EVH signature one.
His sound .. as well as the rest of him .. have deteriorated a lot over the years.

quiksilver98

Reaction score
I agree, ive tried a JSX.....meh.....

Satriani even refuses to use the overdrive on it, he uses a pedal for distortion....

On his JVm's he uses the amp's distortion instead of the pedal.

quiksilver98

Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JNhH0LbSJI&feature=related]YouTube - Joe Satriani Video Message Jun 2010[/ame]

surface54

Reaction score
I've never liked any of Peavey's amplifiers. There's just always something in the tone that grates on my ears.

i always felt peaveys werent sure were to put the mids.
it was either really dull sounding, or they went even further up into the upper mids even more so than marshall and it just sounded on fire, but bad fire!

diesect20022000

In Memorandum
VIP Member
Reaction score
Of course I can't find the video now but I've seen a ton of Satriani performances where he had the three Peavey half stacks lined up but off to the side there was a Laney with all the logo's removed and that was the one he was really using. I've seen this a bunch. FWIW I think the JSX and XXX amp are probably among the worst amplifiers ever made. The tone is harsh and brittle and doesn't sound good for anything, so of course he's dying for a Marshall, or even another Laney.
i'm a nobody but, i did that too. i had a deal with Madison and i used my Carvin. i had it set up off stage with a wireless or sometimes right behind the madison. that was just for a short stint in a band a few years back. of course, Madison also never sent me my second amp. now they're defunct.

Adwex

Reaction score
I dunno. An EVH 1959 HW signature model might be worth some coin.

Hmmm, how about a reissue of the "brown sound" amp he used on the first album...with built in variac, or whatever he did to/with it.
He did the guitar, why not the amp? There's the money.

AudioWonderland

Reaction score
I agree, ive tried a JSX.....meh.....

Satriani even refuses to use the overdrive on it, he uses a pedal for distortion....

On his JVm's he uses the amp's distortion instead of the pedal.

Lets get a grip here. He used a Ds-1 for years with his Marshalls previous to the Peavey deal and he still has the Saturator and the Ice9 on his board now last I checked

quiksilver98

Reaction score
yeah i agree but he did say he only uses it if he needs super gain for like a solo

KH Guitar Freak

Reaction score
Lets get a grip here. He used a Ds-1 for years with his Marshalls previous to the Peavey deal and he still has the Saturator and the Ice9 on his board now last I checked

Exactly. It seems some people would like to bash them JSXes cause they don't say "Marshall" on them... :lol:

surface54

Reaction score
has anyone noticed when anyone asks him about his tubes he just walks to the amp, peeks over and says yeah its using EL34s..i mean does he not know what brand or care even? its cool if he doesnt care, i mean ive a/b cheap tubes to winged c's and most people cant tell anyways.

charveldan

Reaction score
Somewhere with a Friedman Marshall & Les Paul.
has anyone noticed when anyone asks him about his tubes he just walks to the amp, peeks over and says yeah its using EL34s..i mean does he not know what brand or care even? its cool if he doesnt care, i mean ive a/b cheap tubes to winged c's and most people cant tell anyways.
Honestly i don't think he knows or cares, plus if he did know, he's not gonna give the tube a plug without royalties.........[$$$], most new Marshalls come with =C='s.

quiksilver98

Reaction score
Honestly i don't think he knows or cares, plus if he did know, he's not gonna give the tube a plug without royalties.........[$$$], most new Marshalls come with =C='s.

THATS WHAT I THOUGHT! my JVM has marshallt ubes that look strikingly the same as =C=