SC20 or SV20? or other?

• Thread starter PMJ
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
Jubilee is different sounding than the SV or SC to me but i get what some say in the Jubilee's range of tones. It is very versatile. The good thing is you can't go wrong with any of the Studio Series.

I think too much energy is wasted breaking these amps down to the molecular level. Can you use a NMV? Need a MV? Need a channel switcher? Other than that i feel you can play about any style you want with any of them.

R.H

Robo Sapien Noisemaker
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
allright, my understanding was that the JMP2203/2204 was different from the JCM800 2203/2204, and that it might be somewhere between a JMP1959 and a JCM800 2203/2204, guess i was wrong!

guess i'll get a SC20 then, shame there is no way to make a JCM800 50watter portable, 20kg for the reissue head is too much for me especially with it's bulky size.

What you might do to augment the low end of an SC20H is look at how guys like Scott Henderson get clear, massive low end regardless of what they’re playing through.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
........I think too much energy is wasted breaking these amps down to the molecular level. Can you use a NMV? Need a MV? Need a channel switcher? Other than that i feel you can play about any style you want with any of them.
Yes, yes, yes,.....especially that last sentence. These Studio amps, all three, can handle most any Rock & Roll tones, just pick the one you like. They will not disappoint many.

juniorhifikit

Reaction score
I think they can all be made to sound similar. Each one has its "zone" though. My happy place is a non-master volume Marshall, so the SV20H would be my pick. I wish it had been around a few years ago when I went through the trouble of building something from scratch.

Smaller amps definitely have a tougher time making those punchy low frequencies. I tried a few different output transformers and a few different tubes, before I settled on the above. I'm not sure how effective a master volume would be on the SV20. On my build, a good amount of the distortion comes from the output tube, so eliminating that makes the amp sound anemic. Either way, it's pretty cool there are so many great choices for low-power rockin'!

Jubilee23

Reaction score
Sounds so good. :fever:

Sounds great man!!
Jubilee is different sounding than the SV or SC to me but i get what some say in the Jubilee's range of tones. It is very versatile. The good thing is you can't go wrong with any of the Studio Series.

I think too much energy is wasted breaking these amps down to the molecular level. Can you use a NMV? Need a MV? Need a channel switcher? Other than that i feel you can play about any style you want with any of them.

Yeah man, totally agree with that!

JBA

Reaction score
Hi, i'm looking for a JMP 2203/2204 sound in a portable package (15kg or less, preferably smallish box).

The SC20 or SV20 seem like a good option, but I know they don't have the juice or low end of the big brothers.

Would there be another amp that is close to the JMP with my weight/size requirements, or should i get one of the studio heads? in that case, which is closest? SC or SV? to my ears SC is closer but I haven't tried any in person yet so it might not be an accurate judgement.

thanks
This fella does excellent comparisons that can really help folks choose. Here is one with the sc and sv:

He also does huge comparisons with multiple brand amps.. like every 20 watt head you can imagine! Pretty awesome stuff because all other variables are isolated except for the head. There are minor gain disparities here but you can get a pretty good idea of what you can and can’t add/cut to each amp by comparing where the gain, tone pots, presence, and resonance each are. After watching these you should come out realizing there are some differences but not as much as you might expect with certain tweaks to each amp. Goes to show how important the speaker(s) and cabs are.
Cheers!

Last edited:

Trapland

Punk, classic, funk, jazz and everything else.
Reaction score
Hi, i'm looking for a JMP 2203/2204 sound in a portable package (15kg or less, preferably smallish box).

The SC20 or SV20 seem like a good option, but I know they don't have the juice or low end of the big brothers.

Would there be another amp that is close to the JMP with my weight/size requirements, or should i get one of the studio heads? in that case, which is closest? SC or SV? to my ears SC is closer but I haven't tried any in person yet so it might not be an accurate judgement.

thanks
Changing the low end response is a matter of a couple capacitors. I did my SV20 and it’s remarkably close to my actual 68 plexi. Of course if you play these baby amps through baby cabinets you’re going to get a small sound. I can use the matching open back filled with a ‘72 G12M, but if I want it to sound REAL is gets a 4x12. So the SV20 and 1x12 for portability and if I want an authentic Marshall stack sound I use an authentic Marshall stack.

PMJ

Reaction score
Would SV20 or SC20 be the best suited to cop these tones? i'm still trying to decide between the 2 amps since I can't really go to a shop and try them at the moment.

I could get a SC20 for a really cheap price used, but I'm leaning towards the SV20 as I think it might cop these smoother tones a bit better?

Last edited:

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Would SV20 or SC20 be the best suited to cop these tones? i'm still trying to decide between the 2 amps since I can't really go to a shop and try them at the moment.

I could get a SC20 for a really cheap price used, but I'm leaning towards the SV20 as I think it might cop these smoother tones a bit better?

I think you're on the right track. While either amp could accomplish the task, the SV would come closer. Stand alone, the SV's jumpering options provide a wider range of those "smoother" tones (IMO). Stand alone, the SC starts to smooth out with the gain maxed, but also starts losing definition, so you'd probably need some help from pedals.

Last edited:

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
I think they can all be made to sound similar. Each one has its "zone" though. My happy place is a non-master volume Marshall, so the SV20H would be my pick. I wish it had been around a few years ago when I went through the trouble of building something from scratch.

Smaller amps definitely have a tougher time making those punchy low frequencies. I tried a few different output transformers and a few different tubes, before I settled on the above. I'm not sure how effective a master volume would be on the SV20. On my build, a good amount of the distortion comes from the output tube, so eliminating that makes the amp sound anemic. Either way, it's pretty cool there are so many great choices for low-power rockin'!

Awesome job on that, both sound so similar, really hard to pick out the differences
Cheers
Mitch

PMJ

Reaction score
I'm about to pull the trigger on a SC20 combo, but I have one more concern; how well does it clean up with the volume knob?

if someone could record or post a clip of that it would be great!

I know the SV20 will have better cleanup, but i prefer the more aggressive gain of the SC20, i'm just wondering if it's possible to get a passable "clean" with a PAF neck pickup with the preamp on the SC20 cranked but the guitar volume rolled all the way back (i use a treble bleed so it doesn't get muddy).

that way I would be able to go from clean to crunch and then kick in a tubescreamer for leads.

thx

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
I'm about to pull the trigger on a SC20 combo, but I have one more concern; how well does it clean up with the volume knob?

I know the SV20 will have better cleanup, but i prefer the more aggressive gain of the SC20, i'm just wondering if it's possible to get a passable "clean" with a PAF neck pickup with the preamp on the SC20 cranked but the guitar volume rolled all the way back (i use a treble bleed so it doesn't get muddy).

that way I would be able to go from clean to crunch and then kick in a tubescreamer for leads.

thx
I do not have one to do a clip , but I think what you are after is attainable.
Cheers

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score

thx
Possibly. If you are using a TS, my 2 cents is to drop gain to lkke 6 or 7, then drop guitar volume down for clean. Will be way cleaner. Then use TS with gtr up to get some gain. Thats how I do it for the few times I need cleanish

tce63

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
pulled the trigger on a mint condition SC20C for €499, couldn't pass it up at that price, if i end up not liking it i won't lose anything reselling it.

Congrats to a great amp.

Cheers :cheers:

Latest posts