SC20H as a general rock amp?

• Thread starter svinyard
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Antti Heikkinen

Reaction score
Whoa, strange stuff in this thread.

I'll try and address some things that might help you decide. I've been a Marshall tone chaser since the 80s and owned dozens of 'em in almost every iteration.

1st off, the SC20 will do anything from 'new' ACDC to Slayer almost by itself, and especially shine in early 80s metal like Priest to Ratt etc. It's pretty much the best base you can get for those 70s-80s dirty tones.

It's plenty loud even with the loudest drummer - it ain't about the wattage but the right speakers. But don't expect to be able to get a massive low end punch from it in comparison to the 50/100w original 2203/4 amps it basically matches in smaller format.

It is indeed way too loud for most home use when it's sounding it's best, even though it's 20w, unless you use a really inefficient speaker. It can sound pretty great even at lower volume but like any classic Marshall the sound is always the best when cranked high enough.

If you want more versatility, get a Jubilee version, it has two channels. I never liked those early 2-channel Marshall drive sounds, I've owned like three 2210's, one already in the 80s, and pretty much nobody used their drive channels even then, but rather an OD1 or TS in front.

As for tubes, Marshall is definitely synonymous with EL34. They only used the big bottles or KTs in the USA because the EL34 wasn't very available. The sound difference isn't that huge, and a LOT of US rock bands of the era played the big bottle versions, especially like Slayer etc. Old Marshalls notwithstanding, but those aren't classic rock amps in the same way but like 60s rock amps, way cleaner.

If you want the early ACDC sounds, and/or semi clean CCR as well as clean and dirt, an SV20 is a better bet. That's basically a mini plexi, I had one and tested it against my 1959 head and it's identical. That with pedals is perfect for pre Back In Black ACDC to a lot of options with pedals.

Or, get an Origin 20 head and mod the preamp to 2203 config with Headfirst mod using a larger cathode follower resistor, and that'll give you perfect old ACDC tone and with 3 wattage options. I modded mine, and I don't think I've ever had a better ACDC amp. Even better than the SV/SC.

But ultimately, unless you really want a purist perfect classic Marshall sound, and want the 2 channel versatility and dig Slash tones for instance, get the Jubilee.

And with any of them, don't get the vertical Marshall 2x12" but some other, better cab, like a classic 1936 or a 4x12" or any high quality cab that can push out a bit beefier low end and a more pleasant crunch. Those cheaper Marshall cabs aren't anything special really.

Because you know.... really in the end...all Marshalls of this type can sound nigh identical really with the right cab. People make a huge thing about their sound differences - and sure there are those too quite clearly - but you can pretty much replicate one's sound from one of the other with ease - just need a little different gain or EQ setting or maybe an EQ pedal or an OD in front...for all intents and purposes they are very similar in the end when tweaked. Give me literally almost any this type Marshall from 2203 forwards, hell a JVM or a DSL40 or a JCM809 or 900 or whatever, and I'll get my sound from it, guaranteed. It's more about what's convenient in size and wattage and other needs.

And, you know...much as I love Marshall sounds, these days I rather record with modelers, and play a Victory V30 with a 4x10" with the band. I do have a plexi there at my disposal but, well, it's actually much easier to get that Marshall sound of recordings with something else than a Marshall, because those sounds we hear on records are only partially from the amps used back then, and a lot more about the old Neve boards, tube mics, compressors and studio gear as well as the speakers used and even the tape recorder saturation back in the day. Much easier to replicate all that with modern gear unless you really also use an old skool studio to get the sounds.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Whoa, strange stuff in this thread.

I'll try and address some things that might help you decide. I've been a Marshall tone chaser since the 80s and owned dozens of 'em in almost every iteration.

1st off, the SC20 will do anything from 'new' ACDC to Slayer almost by itself, and especially shine in early 80s metal like Priest to Ratt etc. It's pretty much the best base you can get for those 70s-80s dirty tones.

It's plenty loud even with the loudest drummer - it ain't about the wattage but the right speakers. But don't expect to be able to get a massive low end punch from it in comparison to the 50/100w original 2203/4 amps it basically matches in smaller format.

It is indeed way too loud for most home use when it's sounding it's best, even though it's 20w, unless you use a really inefficient speaker. It can sound pretty great even at lower volume but like any classic Marshall the sound is always the best when cranked high enough.

If you want more versatility, get a Jubilee version, it has two channels. I never liked those early 2-channel Marshall drive sounds, I've owned like three 2210's, one already in the 80s, and pretty much nobody used their drive channels even then, but rather an OD1 or TS in front.

As for tubes, Marshall is definitely synonymous with EL34. They only used the big bottles or KTs in the USA because the EL34 wasn't very available. The sound difference isn't that huge, and a LOT of US rock bands of the era played the big bottle versions, especially like Slayer etc. Old Marshalls notwithstanding, but those aren't classic rock amps in the same way but like 60s rock amps, way cleaner.

If you want the early ACDC sounds, and/or semi clean CCR as well as clean and dirt, an SV20 is a better bet. That's basically a mini plexi, I had one and tested it against my 1959 head and it's identical. That with pedals is perfect for pre Back In Black ACDC to a lot of options with pedals.

Or, get an Origin 20 head and mod the preamp to 2203 config with Headfirst mod using a larger cathode follower resistor, and that'll give you perfect old ACDC tone and with 3 wattage options. I modded mine, and I don't think I've ever had a better ACDC amp. Even better than the SV/SC.

But ultimately, unless you really want a purist perfect classic Marshall sound, and want the 2 channel versatility and dig Slash tones for instance, get the Jubilee.

And with any of them, don't get the vertical Marshall 2x12" but some other, better cab, like a classic 1936 or a 4x12" or any high quality cab that can push out a bit beefier low end and a more pleasant crunch. Those cheaper Marshall cabs aren't anything special really.

Because you know.... really in the end...all Marshalls of this type can sound nigh identical really with the right cab. People make a huge thing about their sound differences - and sure there are those too quite clearly - but you can pretty much replicate one's sound from one of the other with ease - just need a little different gain or EQ setting or maybe an EQ pedal or an OD in front...for all intents and purposes they are very similar in the end when tweaked. Give me literally almost any this type Marshall from 2203 forwards, hell a JVM or a DSL40 or a JCM809 or 900 or whatever, and I'll get my sound from it, guaranteed. It's more about what's convenient in size and wattage and other needs.

And, you know...much as I love Marshall sounds, these days I rather record with modelers, and play a Victory V30 with a 4x10" with the band. I do have a plexi there at my disposal but, well, it's actually much easier to get that Marshall sound of recordings with something else than a Marshall, because those sounds we hear on records are only partially from the amps used back then, and a lot more about the old Neve boards, tube mics, compressors and studio gear as well as the speakers used and even the tape recorder saturation back in the day. Much easier to replicate all that with modern gear unless you really also use an old skool studio to get the sounds.
Lots of good points scattered throughout your post.

21fret

Reaction score
And, you know...much as I love Marshall sounds, these days I rather record with modelers, and play a Victory V30 with a 4x10" with the band. I do have a plexi there at my disposal but,
I've owned like three 2210's, one already in the 80s,
I never liked those early 2-channel Marshall drive sounds,
Lots of good points scattered throughout your post.
:scratch:

Trem man

Reaction score
Blues Jr.? Seriously? One of Fender's worst amps, imo. The little Pro Jr. actually sounds pretty good, very tweed like (Jeff Beck usd one) but the Blues Jr. - meh. You'd be better off with a Princeton Reverb RI as a clean complement to your Marshall. Even a used Peavey Classic 30 would be far better than the Blues Jr.

PelliX

Reaction score
Blues Jr.? Seriously? One of Fender's worst amps, imo. The little Pro Jr. actually sounds pretty good, very tweed like (Jeff Beck usd one) but the Blues Jr. - meh. You'd be better off with a Princeton Reverb RI as a clean complement to your Marshall. Even a used Peavey Classic 30 would be far better than the Blues Jr.

I'd take a Fender Blues Deluxe over the Peavey myself, but I see your point.

TXOldRedRocker

Classic Rock or die! -- Patrick Henry
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Agreed. Tried a Blues Jr., bleh. I have a Pro Junior Tweed with the Reissue Jensen P10R. Great little amp with a historic speaker. I've been playing my newly acquired Fender Vintage Reissue '62 Strat with the Pro Junior. Absolutely beautiful combination.

Pro Junior (especially with P10R) > Blues Jr.

Jason deBroux

Reaction score
Maybe I’m missing something, but you want to get the SC20H until you get a Blues Jr?

They’re two totally different amps, d the SC20H is 20 watts, Blues Jr is 15, differebt voicing, EL34s in the Marshall, EL84s in the Blues Jr.
Are you look to have one for cleans and the other for your overdriven tone ?

PelliX

Reaction score
Maybe I’m missing something, but you want to get the SC20H until you get a Blues Jr?

They’re two totally different amps, d the SC20H is 20 watts, Blues Jr is 15, differebt voicing, EL34s in the Marshall, EL84s in the Blues Jr.
Are you look to have one for cleans and the other for your overdriven tone ?

I'd go Stevie; drive the Blues Jr like hell and use the SC for cleans - which it does brilliantly. That might work, depending on your target. Blimey, I just figured out what I'm doing tomorrow... !

Joves

Reaction score
Im looking at picking one of these up. Are they legit? The master volume helps as I need to play it at home.

Can you get any sort of not super loud clean out of it? Wondering how versatile it is. Like if my kid needed to play through a Nirvana song that has some chorus cleans and then go heavy…is there a way to make that work or is it all gain all the time lol.

I’m considering doing just a mini-stack to play it on. Like a 1x12, unless that is dumb or something. I’d like to keep it portable.
Is your “kid” actually YOU by any chance? 🤔

Just gaggin’ 😉

SloeGin

Reaction score
Get a JVM410, Master Volume is amazing!

I play through a 120watt 2x12 (V30 + Creamback), sounds dreamy.
Would you recommend this for home playing?
A common complaint why many people get rid of their JVM 410h is they're very noisy.
Do you agree?

Jamil Ecrire

Reaction score
Would you recommend this for home playing?
A common complaint why many people get rid of their JVM 410h is they're very noisy.
Do you agree?
I mean you can play it loud as shit if you want, it sounds awesome at lower volumes too though.

So I can play it just as quiet as my Ibanez TSA15 on 5 Watts or louder than my JTM45 which is always at 30 watts.

It's certainly overkill for a bedroom amp, but if you can afford it, why not. Most my amps are packed away. I've got my JVM410 in my living room hooked up to a 2x12, along with my Ibanez TSA15 and JTM45 (swap whichever into my 1x12 with a 50 watt Celestion gold in it (V30+Creamback at 120Watts in my 2x12).

I've got a 2x12 with 2 Greenbacks in my office @50 watts as well, I run my 2525H (Silver Jubilee mini) into it.

Jason deBroux

Reaction score
I'd go Stevie; drive the Blues Jr like hell and use the SC for cleans - which it does brilliantly. That might work, depending on your target. Blimey, I just figured out what I'm doing tomorrow... !
Assuming you’re talking about SRV, I totally forgot he ran a super reverb and Marshall….that would be amazing