SC20H as a general rock amp?

• Thread starter svinyard
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

colchar

Reaction score
Dude your expecting too much from the SC20h. It doesn't have much gain with today's standards.

Why the fuck would I care about today's gain standards?

It was designed in the late 70's.

No shit Sherlock.

If you put and EQ in front of the amp & boost all the tones half way the amp will get way more distortion/gain sustain with nothing clipping the circuit. However it's still not a high gain amp. Wasn't designed that way back in the day.

Does this come from the same font of knowledge that led you to claim that EL34s are the Marshall tone despite them not being used in Marshall classics like the Bluesbreaker and the JTM45?

LargeBoxSmallBox

Reaction score
Watch the video below from the 2:00 mark until the 3:35 mark as he gives a good explanation of how putting in a loop would alter the original circuit but be forewarned, he is Scottish and his name is Colin which automatically makes him a prick (full disclosure, I am Scottish and my name is Colin so I know what I am talking about here :naughty: ):

Ade Emsley, the designer from Orange, has also discussed how adding a loop would alter an amp that wasn't designed for it but I cannot remember if I saw that in a video or read it in an interview. I will search around and post it if I can find it.

And think about the classic Fender amps that have been reissued - did they alter any of those circuits to add a loop? Not that I know of and you have to figure there is a reason for that - because it would alter the circuit.

That is a nice sounding amp/rig! Some of those tones were very enjoyable. :)

LargeBoxSmallBox

Reaction score
that may well be true, but...

the guys putting effects up front experienced a lot of sound degradation, either in circuit, or in the pedals themselves.

why do you think the need for buffers & tru-bypass came to be?

they still didn't solve all the issues, like w/ reverb & delay, chorus, etc, getting distorted though the circuit that follows & many x's not getting a pleasing sound.

Everything you do to a circuit is a compromise of consequences. It's finding the best compromise w/ the least amount of consequence. Most would say, that, between adding an effects loop, after the pre-amp & EQ vs putting everything up front, that adding the loop is less detrimental to the signal in the chain...
I really liked a number of the tones in that AD30 video, but the pedals likely made a huge difference in the tone, I'm thinking. Beneficial Degradation, perhaps? :) I would like to hear it without any outside influences to hear what the amp really sounds like.

As for loops, I like them, except I almost never use them, LOL. All my amps sound great to me just plugged straight in, so I don't think about it much. Dang, that sounds dumb, doesn't it! :eek: Now I have to get my pedal board out, sheesh...:fever:

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Congrats on missing what was being said, and in rather spectacular fashion. Please try to keep up with the rest of the class before joining the conversation.
I don't think you're even in the class. Judging from your language, I'm, thinking maybe you were held back a few years, or maybe still working on that GED.

Last edited:

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
And once again you demonstrate a complete lack of understanding of what was being said. Nobody was bitching about amps having effects loops. Seriously man, please try to keep up with the rest of us.
"rest of us"? That's funny, I think you're the odd man out here dude. Try reading the responses to your ramblings. I've wasted enough time reading your ass induced posts, to my "ignore list" you go. Buh Bye. :wave:

Last edited:

colchar

Reaction score
I really liked a number of the tones in that AD30 video, but the pedals likely made a huge difference in the tone, I'm thinking. Beneficial Degradation, perhaps? :) I would like to hear it without any outside influences to hear what the amp really sounds like.

Wasn't he pedal free except for one section in which he used a Maxon 808?

colchar

Reaction score
I don't think you're even in the class. Judging from your language, I'm, thinking maybe you were held back a few years, or maybe still working on that GED.

GEDs don't even exist here, but nice try.

For the record I am working on finishing something (if I ever sit my ass down to do some writing), but it is a PhD.

colchar

Reaction score
"rest of us"? That's funny, I think you're the odd man out here dude. Try reading the responses to your ramblings. I've wasted enough time reading your ass induced posts, to my "ignore list" you go. Buh Bye. :wave:

You go running for an ignore list because you're all salty about being called out for you fifth grade level reading comprehension skills? Grow up and own it, ya' twat.

abkeller1

Reaction score
Why the fuck would I care about today's gain standards?

No shit Sherlock.

Does this come from the same font of knowledge that led you to claim that EL34s are the Marshall tone despite them not being used in Marshall classics like the Bluesbreaker and the JTM45?
Dude if you read Jim Marshall's biography, he clearly states rock amps from the JMP on forward that EL34's are the preferred tube and quoted as the Marshall tone. Why? they have the midrange punch & better harmonics. Thats what Jim Marshall says. Those earlier Marshall's don't have much gain and back then EL34's weren't that available. Nothing to get all worked up over dude.

Last edited:

abkeller1

Reaction score
Is there a better accent in the world than a Scottish one for tossing around the F word? I think not. It nails the right tone effortless with out softness and great articulation.

I really liked that it was a classic gain amp and not crazy. It was cool. And yeah a pedal through it was great. It just didn’t seem to have much low end rowdiness to it that I expected. I’m guessing the stuff with a legit transformer in it does (4010). The 4010 transformer looked huge in that 1x12 combo lol.
Most classic Marshall's don't have much low end. They are high midrange amps. That's why they sound so awesome. They cut through a band mix like no other amp. The JCM 2000 & JVM's have much more low end than previous models.

mrp

Reaction score
If
Most classic Marshall's don't have much low end. They are high midrange amps. That's why they sound so awesome. They cut through a band mix like no other amp. The JCM 2000 & JVM's have much more low end than previous models.

If the low-mids are added to an SC20 via an EQ in the loop - does this mess with the phase coherence so that the resulting sound isn't the same anyway?

Think Korn type wall of low-mids, for example.

PelliX

Reaction score
Dude if you read Jim Marshall's biography, he clearly states rock amps from the JMP on forward that EL34's are the preferred tube and quoted as the Marshall tone. Why? they have the midrange punch & better harmonics. Thats what Jim Marshall says. Those earlier Marshall's don't have much gain and back then EL34's weren't that available. Nothing to get all worked up over dude.

I think a couple of factors here may have been competition; EL84's were being used by Watkins and then VOX (JMI) with a lot of success. Also the EL34 was a fair sight more powerful, and Jim was getting requests for volume as well as tone to put it simply.

Personally, I find there to be more and more pleasing harmonics driving EL84's in the right circuit. I like big bottles in Marshalls. YMMV.

You go running for an ignore list because you're all salty about being called out for you fifth grade level reading comprehension skills? Grow up and own it, ya' twat.

Missed an 'r'.

OK, that was uncalled for, have a pint on me... :rofl:

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
I think a couple of factors here may have been competition; EL84's were being used by Watkins and then VOX (JMI) with a lot of success. Also the EL34 was a fair sight more powerful, and Jim was getting requests for volume as well as tone to put it simply.

Personally, I find there to be more and more pleasing harmonics driving EL84's in the right circuit. I like big bottles in Marshalls. YMMV.

Missed an 'r'.

OK, that was uncalled for, have a pint on me... :rofl:
Can I have it instead? I like beer!

Cedric

Reaction score
@svinyard, are you in the US?

If you are, just order one from Sweetwater or Musicians Friend, both have at least a 30 return policy.

You can play it for a while and return it if you don’t like it, you’ll likely have to pay return shipping, but it’s kind of like renting it for a while.

I’ve never actually done that intentionally, but I did return an amp to Sweetwater once because I didn’t like it, they’re ok with that.

(I understand some may not like this action for moral reasons).
Sweetwater always kicks me back a lable if I ask. It takes 15-20 off the returned amount but its worth it, for me, since if something happens on the way back its on their label and insurance and stuff.

cccc

Reaction score
Maybe this is a dumb question but will these heads cut it when playing with a not crazy drummer? Seems like I’ve heard they can be wicked loud. Thanks for the quick download btw! I’ve got a lead on a mint used one that might do the trick.

I really like the idea of the 4010 combos fwiw but a guy I know has one and says it just insanely loud. I was thinking maybe this plus a 1x12 cab would be a bit more flexible and not cost 2k$. Correct me if I’m wrong somewhere tho.
The biggest complaints about ALL the 20 watt studio series amps is that they are way way too loud . Just go to the comments section of any retailers site that sells these 20 watt models and approx 90% comment how ridiculously loud they are .

Moony

Reaction score
The problem is more that they don't sound that good if you dial them in at low volumes, especially the SV20.

woodsrock

Reaction score
Im looking at picking one of these up. Are they legit? The master volume helps as I need to play it at home.

Can you get any sort of not super loud clean out of it? Wondering how versatile it is. Like if my kid needed to play through a Nirvana song that has some chorus cleans and then go heavy…is there a way to make that work or is it all gain all the time lol.

I’m considering doing just a mini-stack to play it on. Like a 1x12, unless that is dumb or something. I’d like to keep it portable.
Hello I have one of these amps, once you get the hang of Dialing the amp in you will love it! You can get some really great tones. I love this amp, I had been a Fender only guy for most of my Life until I Demo'd one of these. %/20 Watt amp is all you need and this baby is badass. Plus when you go to replace the tubes there is no need to bias the amp witch is awesome with no down time. That's direct from Marshall. You won't be sorry about getting this amp.

Attachments

• 292749165_5326972084016062_8390790766084237110_n.jpg
    292749165_5326972084016062_8390790766084237110_n.jpg
    655.2 KB · Views: 6