SC20H as a general rock amp?

• Thread starter svinyard
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

svinyard

Reaction score
Im looking at picking one of these up. Are they legit? The master volume helps as I need to play it at home.

Can you get any sort of not super loud clean out of it? Wondering how versatile it is. Like if my kid needed to play through a Nirvana song that has some chorus cleans and then go heavy…is there a way to make that work or is it all gain all the time lol.

I’m considering doing just a mini-stack to play it on. Like a 1x12, unless that is dumb or something. I’d like to keep it portable.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great vintage 2203 tone imo, no “super loud” clean. It doesn’t have the headroom of its 50 and 100 watt big brothers.

Here’s my main setup, (at home player only).
SC20h, two, 1-12 cabs with a Creamback and a Greenback.

Works for me for everything I play, Classic Rock, (and a bit heavier, no metal), and Blues,…

Last edited:

svinyard

Reaction score
I
Great vintage 2203 tone imo, no “super loud” clean. It doesn’t have the headroom of its 50 and 100 watt big brothers.

Here’s my main setup, (at home player only).
SC20h, two, 1-12 cabs with a Creamback and a Greenback.

Works for me for everything I play, Classic Rock, (and a bi heavier, no metal), and Blues,…

don’t need super clean super loud, just something functional for now until I get a Blues Jr while the wife’s not looking.

Does it do an ACDC tone? Some of their stuff was all before the JCM800 iirc. Wondering if it’s modern beyond that or if you can get it a bit more classic. I’ve heard some of the JCM800s and they are that tight, somewhat compressed low end mid that is soo articulate. Wondering what to expect there.

colchar

Reaction score
The amp is very versatile.

This is my setup with mine, using a Marshall 1936 2x12 cab (previously used a Traynor 2x12 with Greenbacks but moved that to a tight space in my office because it can stand vertically for use with an Orange Dual Terror).

IMG_0761.jpeg

Last edited:

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
I

don’t need super clean super loud, just something functional for now until I get a Blues Jr while the wife’s not looking.

Does it do an ACDC tone? Some of their stuff was all before the JCM800 iirc. Wondering if it’s modern beyond that or if you can get it a bit more classic. I’ve heard some of the JCM800s and they are that tight, somewhat compressed low end mid that is soo articulate. Wondering what to expect there.
Sure it will do classic. To go from very clean to dirty requires a dirt pedal up front. Gain on amp set lower for cleanish may not be enough when guitar turned up.

colchar

Reaction score
I don’t need super clean super loud, just something functional for now until I get a Blues Jr while the wife’s not looking.

The SC20 is vastly superior to a Blues Jr.

Why on earth would you want an SC20 and then to downgrade to a Blues Jr.?

Does it do an ACDC tone? Some of their stuff was all before the JCM800 iirc. Wondering if it’s modern beyond that or if you can get it a bit more classic.

JCM800s are not modern, not even close.

I’ve heard some of the JCM800s and they are that tight, somewhat compressed low end mid that is soo articulate. Wondering what to expect there.

The SC20 is a lower wattage JCM800, and this is coming from someone who used to own a 1983 JCM800 2203.

svinyard

Reaction score
Am I missing out on some super legend sound by not ponying up for a 4010 or old school 50-100w head?

svinyard

Reaction score
The SC20 is vastly superior to a Blues Jr.

Why on earth would you want an SC20 and then to downgrade to a Blues Jr.?

JCM800s are not modern, not even close.

The SC20 is a lower wattage JCM800, and this is coming from someone who used to own a 1983 JCM800 2203.
I meant add a blue Jr. For clean stuff. That’s a nice little amp! But yeah it’s not a legend. Sorry for the accidental blasphemy :). You were right

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Am I missing out on some super legend sound by not ponying up for a 4010 or old school 50-100w head?
Yes, anything less than a 100w, and you'd be missing out on "something". Anything less than a 50w, and you'd be missing out on "something". Whether that "something" would be significant to you is the question. Put it this way, I have the SC and SV Studio amps, but If I didn't have my 2203x and 1959SLP, I'd be missing out on something, and in my case, that something is significant. Many are perfectly happy with an SC or SV amp, so each person has their own wants and needs. I'd say you need to find a store that has some amps and go try them, even if that means driving 50 miles to said store.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
@svinyard, are you in the US?

If you are, just order one from Sweetwater or Musicians Friend, both have at least a 30 return policy.

You can play it for a while and return it if you don’t like it, you’ll likely have to pay return shipping, but it’s kind of like renting it for a while.

I’ve never actually done that intentionally, but I did return an amp to Sweetwater once because I didn’t like it, they’re ok with that.

(I understand some may not like this action for moral reasons).

Last edited:

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Lately I've been playing mine a lot on the low input and hitting it with pedals when I want to up the gain. It sounds really good like that. Then if I switch over to the high input with a Mr. Scary mod and a boost I get as much gain as I could ever want and then some. I keep my gain knob at 3 o'clock almost all the time, that seems to be a sweet spot for me where the tone thickens up just right. The amp does just about everything.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
but, the secret to the SC is to install KT88 tubes...

It'll sound more like it's big brother the 100 watter...
I didn't think so, it lost the EL34 character. I've also tried KT66's and 5881's in my SV20, nope, put the EL34's back in. The operating voltages on the output tubes are just too low to make much difference (IMO). All subjective of course.

svinyard

Reaction score
Maybe this is a dumb question but will these heads cut it when playing with a not crazy drummer? Seems like I’ve heard they can be wicked loud. Thanks for the quick download btw! I’ve got a lead on a mint used one that might do the trick.

I really like the idea of the 4010 combos fwiw but a guy I know has one and says it just insanely loud. I was thinking maybe this plus a 1x12 cab would be a bit more flexible and not cost 2k$. Correct me if I’m wrong somewhere tho.

Matt-J

Reaction score
+1 for low input and pedals, where required of course. It really is a super clean, and especially crisp with single coils

Obv the higher gain sound on pedal isn't quite up there with shoving it in the high input (imho) but it'll do the job where required.....and for me, better that than not having it at all as when I do get the chance to use the high input it rips!

svinyard

Reaction score
They'll cut it with a mellow drummer and would be great for home use. If you ever plan on gigging or upgrading to that classic sound then the 4010 is the one to get.
is the sound that far off a 4010?

Also, how would one play a 4010 inside and sound decent? When I was looking at attenuators here it seemed like they are only good for knocking off *some* volume but not a lot. And that 4010 has ALOT doesn’t it?