Show Me Your Riffs

• Thread starter LRT#1
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Sapient

 
Reaction score
Ive been messing with it this one is outline of what can be done, i recorded it so i dint forget it. I will try tomorrow something again....

I like the beginning F# when i go to B there are few doggy bends I need to find right note. I try not to play scale up and down, I always try to find melody... when I try to write solo I always think of tornado of souls solo, its so melodic and exotic, so I want to make solos like that.
I did try some pentatonic but all my licks are boring and lifeless...

We shall see what i can do tomorrow, I have something to work with.

Rip into a 12 bar blues in the middle then solo over that. The resume the metal.

Lol. :fever:

:eddie:

Ramo

Reaction score
That sounded very good with the exception of a couple of off notes, but those will be less and less. These are only a few approaches, so use your ears for what sounds right to you, and you won't play any wrong notes.

The F# intro idea sounded like it was developing great and into the next segment. I heard what you wanted to do rhythmically as well. A very good attribute as not all songs call for 32nd note leads.

O.K. now we are going to try this out so we can mix 'n match these ideas together.

F# and B sections play the respective minor Pentatonic, and then end with C# Phrygian dominant to release the tension.
(F# can be a minor 7th b5 arpeggio if you needed)

You can also play all Pentatonics and/or a mix of Phrigian Dom. Or F# and B min Pent then end with C# Phrygian Dominant.

(Loop each section and play over it for five minutes or so until you feel comfortably satisfied playing over it. Then try to connect all three of your phrases as seamless as possible.)
how does this one sound any better? I spent the whole day trying to come up with something but I didn't like anything so I tweaked the previous one a little bit. I was getting really frustrated and I was thinking just to change the whole rhythm section to give me better freedom for my sloppy leads.

junk notes

Reaction score
Yes, I can hear direction. That is good! :yesway:
I think you may be right with re-arranging that segment, but keep the *rhythm the same..
You have measures of F# x4, B x8, C# x4. Perhaps all even x4, or x8 on the C#? I cannot tell you what to do with your own song, but there should be a flow into each section, and not forced.

*you have excellent RH rhythm and your triplet feel is very good! If you want to challenge yourself even more, try galloping triplets! Think "The Lone Ranger" theme. :naughty:
Iron Maiden madness! :metal:

Ramo

Reaction score
Yes, I can hear direction. That is good! :yesway:
I think you may be right with re-arranging that segment, but keep the *rhythm the same..
You have measures of F# x4, B x8, C# x4. Perhaps all even x4, or x8 on the C#? I cannot tell you what to do with your own song, but there should be a flow into each section, and not forced.

*you have excellent RH rhythm and your triplet feel is very good! If you want to challenge yourself even more, try galloping triplets! Think "The Lone Ranger" theme. :naughty:
Iron Maiden madness! :metal:
I wanted to drop B down to 4 like you said, I think the way it is now it drags a bit.

this songs are just demos for band, once we start playing them in band situations it will be lot different and more smooth flowing.

if you check my soundcloud I have lots of galloping songs on there really fast ones like mad fast :) 223bpm lol

game over is one of them, ectoplasm has gallops too, destroyer starts off with gallop...

I like Iced Earth and Jon Schaffer is master at that kind of thing and I try to copy him.

junk notes

Reaction score
Alright @Ramo, and galloping triplets in the verses! That sounds great man! Has a Mustaine flavor to it.
Everyone can hear that to be a nice transition to the progression! When you hear where the solo is in context, it makes a whole lot of sense.
Your creative juices flow when you arrange your compositions to flow. Ideas are easy because you know what neighborhood you are playing in.

Other things if you feel like trying to go back and forth with to see if your ear likes the sound;
Besides the min7b5 arp, a Blues Pentatonic for the F#, and Diminished arps for the C# inducing tension for the release back to the main body..

@Mitchell Pearrow we will help you get out of those stupid arse ruts soon enough! All musicians hate those ruts! :redface:

Ramo

Reaction score
Alright @Ramo, and galloping triplets in the verses! That sounds great man! Has a Mustaine flavor to it.
Everyone can hear that to be a nice transition to the progression! When you hear where the solo is in context, it makes a whole lot of sense.
Your creative juices flow when you arrange your compositions to flow. Ideas are easy because you know what neighborhood you are playing in.

Other things if you feel like trying to go back and forth with to see if your ear likes the sound;
Besides the min7b5 arp, a Blues Pentatonic for the F#, and Diminished arps for the C# inducing tension for the release back to the main body..

@Mitchell Pearrow we will help you get out of those stupid arse ruts soon enough! All musicians hate those ruts! :redface:

I did edit a bit, I cut 8 to 4 for the solo section and it sounds much better. The singing and lyrics suck, I wrote and deleted a whole bunch before I recorded this one. When I get a singer for the band I'm sure he will tweak it and make it better. As for the solo, I have to leave it as-is for time being as I cant come up with anything better right now, hope something will come in the future.

Thanks for listening and all the assistance you gave me.:eddie::eddie::eddie::eddie:

BatmansMarshall

Reaction score
Drop A

That's quite some tuning. I really like this song so gave it a go.

It's like part rhythm and part lead. I have tried Drop B and B Standard but not Drop A before. I might try doing another Drop A song to see what can happen.

Anyway, Mastodon - Word to the Wise (drop A) from Emperor of Sand (2017).

Ramo

Reaction score
Drop A

That's quite some tuning. I really like this song so gave it a go.

It's like part rhythm and part lead. I have tried Drop B and B Standard but not Drop A before. I might try doing another Drop A song to see what can happen.

Anyway, Mastodon - Word to the Wise (drop A) from Emperor of Sand (2017).

Nice guitar, I was thinking to buy that one non trem one. How dose it feel owning that guitar?

BatmansMarshall

Reaction score
Nice guitar, I was thinking to buy that one non trem one. How dose it feel owning that guitar?

A very hot Les Paul. There is no tone pot control. It's designed for a thrash-sounding Slayer's tone. Gary Holt just does volume on the bridge pickup EMG81 and the neck pickup is EMG89 split coil. I wanted a hard tail no tremolo that I can tune to whatever I want. Hence Drop A meant this guitar. My Floyd Rose guitars are pretty much staying in the E Standard tuning I have etc. I usually play D Standard with this GH600NT but fine with everything.

I would not recommend it as an all-around LP because of the missing tone pot. If you want instant metal that involves an LP, then it has it. Anything else, look elsewhere.

I lament I do not have an LP with regular passive humbuckers though. There are plenty of metal songs on high gain amps that could use those instead. Also, notice how hot these pickups can get on a high-gain amp. Wrestling a bit with the gain there.

Ramo

Reaction score
A very hot Les Paul. There is no tone pot control. It's designed for a thrash-sounding Slayer's tone. Gary Holt just does volume on the bridge pickup EMG81 and the neck pickup is EMG89 split coil. I wanted a hard tail no tremolo that I can tune to whatever I want. Hence Drop A meant this guitar. My Floyd Rose guitars are pretty much staying in the E Standard tuning I have etc. I usually play D Standard with this GH600NT but fine with everything.

I would not recommend it as an all-around LP because of the missing tone pot. If you want instant metal that involves an LP, then it has it. Anything else, look elsewhere.

I lament I do not have an LP with regular passive humbuckers though. There are plenty of metal songs on high gain amps that could use those instead. Also, notice how hot these pickups can get on a high-gain amp. Wrestling a bit with the gain there.
for some reason, I hate trem on Lp type guitar, I have Ltd EC-256 I really like that. I have thrash guitars I want a heavy Lp without the Gibson logo on it. it will be one of LTD EC 1000 models.