Silver Jubilee Vs. Other Question

• Thread starter srmd22
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

srmd22

Reaction score
Hi, I think this is my first post here, after lurking a bit. I did a bunch of searches, and did find some threads on this, but not much in the way of reviews or discussions by people who have used the amp. That may be, I guess, because they are pretty new. But I apologize if my search fu is sub par, and welcome any "learn how to use the search function" replies - thanks for that in advance (but seriously, please do point me to any thread I may have missed).

I have never owned a marshall, although I own a plexi "clone" (an old drip edge twin that a tech/builder modded one channel into a plexi many, many moons ago). Have been a fender guy for a long time, and recently have enjoyed a Budda SD18, which, to my ears, gets into the Marshall territory a bit, when the gain is cranked. My current favorite is a Suhr Badger 18, which sounds quite Marhall-like to me, but it is still not a Marshall.

I am now ready, though, to venture into the Marshall territory, and I don't want a clone or a copy, or a Marshall-esque thing, I want a real Marshall, with the name and all. Why? Well, I have always loved the sound, and don't know why it took me so long to get to it actually; but other then that, it is just sort of something I want to do, no logic involved.

Here is the thing: for my intro, I don't want to take the time to become an expert on all the old stuff. I don't want to shell out for a real plexi or anything like that, or spend too much time researching other old vintage options (although I will get to that, but for now I want something to plug into). I don't need or want 100 watts, and in fact would prefer to keep it well under 50. And I would like to avoid carrying around anything more the 50lbs, and would prefer sub-40, whehter it be a cab at that weight, or a head cab, with either piece below that weight (total can be more, obviously for the head cab option). My first Marshall does not have to be UK made, I am open to an import, like a newer DSL. I am thinking, for me to be able to open the amp up on a regular bases, the 20 watt region might be what I am wanting. But I have heard some 50 watt amps sound really great at low volumes, so not ruling it out.

Having said all that, so far, the combination of sound and features that seem most appealing to me are in the new RI Silver Jubilee 2525, either combo or head/cab. This is just from youtoobs. I love some of the old JCM 800 sounds as well as the plexi-like sounds, and would love both. I am not a metal guy, but something like the JVM 205 is intriguing (or 405) with the ability to get a spread of different sounds. But I don't really need such a versatile monster - I can be happy with a single or dual channel. Would prefer a dual channel, because it is nice to be able to hit a footswitch and get some amp gain, for the way I play. But right now I am using the badger, and I do the edge of distortion, guitar volume knob thing, and it works just fine.

I tried the DSL40 at GC a few weeks back, and was gob-smacked by the clean/crunch channel, but couldn't get the gain/ultra side to work for me, at least at the pretty limited volumes I felt comfortable with in that setting. So I am thinking the DSL's "might" not be it for me. But still, maybe a DSL20 or even 5 (but I couldn't gig with the 5, for the most part). One thing I do want is access to the great Marshall clean and crunch sounds that are so under-rated (I think they are right up there with Fender) - but I don't know if those are available in every model. They certainly are there in old Plexi's and in the DSL I played. Not so sure about JCM's.

So, options and features wise, I am liking the Jube 2525, for the 5w setting at home, the 20w at rehearsals, small gigs (most of mine), the channel switching, and the available efx loop (not mandatory, but nice).

Y'all can tell from my post I am new to the Marshall world, (other then playing through a billion JCM800's in rehearsal studios in the 90's) so please set me right. Sorry for the wall of text.

MonstersOfTheMidway

Reaction score
If the Jubilee reissue (including the mini Jubilee) is getting more of your curiosity/interest, then go in that direction. Try to make time to visit a store that has a floor model for you to try; it might be a little extra effort, but I think it's worth it for the money these things cost. But if you can't play it in person, search out a dealer who has some kind of money back guarantee that will get your money back if you don't like it for whatever reason-but check first before you buy!

I own a stock JVM410H that I'm completely happy using for any genre/style of music. Since there is no 50 watt version of the JVM4, maybe JVM4 amps is not something you want/need, but the JVM2 amps are also very good amps that, like the JVM4 amps, sound great at any volume level. Other than the two channels, all the features are the same between the JVM2 and JVM4 amps. The versatile second master volume works great as volume/solo boost for playing in the same channel/mode without changing your core tone, or you can use with another channel/mode to give your sound a different tonal quality/character. Lots of ways to use the 2nd MV and other features on the JVMs. I love using MIDI to do all my switching, both on the amp and on my effects system. I save lots of time and energy programming all my switching operations down to just one preset button on my foot controller. Lots of versatility, great features, and great sound with JVMs.

Last edited:

srmd22

Reaction score
Yes, I love the versatility of the JVM's (2 or 4 channel). I will try to find a place to try some of these, I think, even if I have to kill a saturday afternoon getting there. If the JVM gets me the Marshall sound I am looking for at low and high volumes, clean and dirt, I would go that route.

mudman30

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the 12DW7 trick works with the dsl40c as it does with the DSL401? With that amp putting that tube in V2 really calms down the gain channel.

srmd22

Reaction score
^ That is an interesting thought - I read about raising C19 to balance out the two channels and tame the highs in the gain channel. If this also works, that would really give us some control, and would put the DSL40c back in the mix for me (and potentially save me a bunch of money).

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
As a single channel, sort of 2 channel, the Jube would be awesome!! The shared gain CAN be a little painful depending on style and if you use an OD or not. With an OD it's no issue. I trimmed C19 on my DSL40C and it really covers a lot of ground, makes ch 2 tonally closer to channel 1. Pumps it out good, excellent at lower volumes. Good with an OD as well.

mudman30

Reaction score
^ That is an interesting thought - I read about raising C19 to balance out the two channels and tame the highs in the gain channel. If this also works, that would really give us some control, and would put the DSL40c back in the mix for me (and potentially save me a bunch of money).
It's a definite difference with the JCM2000 amps. I just don't have a dsl40c to try it with. Maybe buy one from a GC so you have the tine to return if you don't like it with the tubeswap? I paid a whopping $13 for my OS sylvania 12dw7

srmd22

Reaction score
Damn, the GC nearest me sucks. They have practically zero Marshall's or Friedmans. No 2525 to try. It's getting harder to find stuff at brick and mortar places these days.

Guess I'll be going on descriptions and youtoobs. Atm I am thinking about chalking up the mini channel switch hunt, and just getting a Friedman DS mini head. Just out of web surfing fatigue, lol. The DS wouldn't give me the versatility I am looking for, but damn, it sounds good (or the Runt mini, maybe).

srmd22

Reaction score
I am heartened by the reports of 2525c owners pleased with the amp - so little info on this model out there yet.

@jimmy3711 and PBGas: how does the 2525 compare to other Marshall's and other amps you have owned? How would you describe the distortion sounds, the cleans, and the versatility/switcheability between tones, etc?

srmd22

Reaction score
I think I am going to go for one of these after all - the demos all sound great to me, and it is one of the few Marshall combo's that have all the features I am looking for, for this particular application.

The cleans sound good to me on the demos and vids - for anyone with experience with the amp: how do you like the cleans? Specifically referring to the 2525c, but also the head would be relevant.

MexicanMike

Reaction score
Hi, I think this is my first post here, after lurking a bit. I did a bunch of searches, and did find some threads on this, but not much in the way of reviews or discussions by people who have used the amp. That may be, I guess, because they are pretty new. But I apologize if my search fu is sub par, and welcome any "learn how to use the search function" replies - thanks for that in advance (but seriously, please do point me to any thread I may have missed).

I have never owned a marshall, although I own a plexi "clone" (an old drip edge twin that a tech/builder modded one channel into a plexi many, many moons ago). Have been a fender guy for a long time, and recently have enjoyed a Budda SD18, which, to my ears, gets into the Marshall territory a bit, when the gain is cranked. My current favorite is a Suhr Badger 18, which sounds quite Marhall-like to me, but it is still not a Marshall.

I am now ready, though, to venture into the Marshall territory, and I don't want a clone or a copy, or a Marshall-esque thing, I want a real Marshall, with the name and all. Why? Well, I have always loved the sound, and don't know why it took me so long to get to it actually; but other then that, it is just sort of something I want to do, no logic involved.

Here is the thing: for my intro, I don't want to take the time to become an expert on all the old stuff. I don't want to shell out for a real plexi or anything like that, or spend too much time researching other old vintage options (although I will get to that, but for now I want something to plug into). I don't need or want 100 watts, and in fact would prefer to keep it well under 50. And I would like to avoid carrying around anything more the 50lbs, and would prefer sub-40, whehter it be a cab at that weight, or a head cab, with either piece below that weight (total can be more, obviously for the head cab option). My first Marshall does not have to be UK made, I am open to an import, like a newer DSL. I am thinking, for me to be able to open the amp up on a regular bases, the 20 watt region might be what I am wanting. But I have heard some 50 watt amps sound really great at low volumes, so not ruling it out.

Having said all that, so far, the combination of sound and features that seem most appealing to me are in the new RI Silver Jubilee 2525, either combo or head/cab. This is just from youtoobs. I love some of the old JCM 800 sounds as well as the plexi-like sounds, and would love both. I am not a metal guy, but something like the JVM 205 is intriguing (or 405) with the ability to get a spread of different sounds. But I don't really need such a versatile monster - I can be happy with a single or dual channel. Would prefer a dual channel, because it is nice to be able to hit a footswitch and get some amp gain, for the way I play. But right now I am using the badger, and I do the edge of distortion, guitar volume knob thing, and it works just fine.

I tried the DSL40 at GC a few weeks back, and was gob-smacked by the clean/crunch channel, but couldn't get the gain/ultra side to work for me, at least at the pretty limited volumes I felt comfortable with in that setting. So I am thinking the DSL's "might" not be it for me. But still, maybe a DSL20 or even 5 (but I couldn't gig with the 5, for the most part). One thing I do want is access to the great Marshall clean and crunch sounds that are so under-rated (I think they are right up there with Fender) - but I don't know if those are available in every model. They certainly are there in old Plexi's and in the DSL I played. Not so sure about JCM's.

So, options and features wise, I am liking the Jube 2525, for the 5w setting at home, the 20w at rehearsals, small gigs (most of mine), the channel switching, and the available efx loop (not mandatory, but nice).

Y'all can tell from my post I am new to the Marshall world, (other then playing through a billion JCM800's in rehearsal studios in the 90's) so please set me right. Sorry for the wall of text.

EPIC first post. I am with you on this. I am also looking for a low watt head/cab. I'm leaning towards the silver jubilee because my hero John Frusciante plays one & I think he is the best guitarist of the last 20-25 years. His tone has always been to my taste; on the other hand I also like the rectoverb head but that rig will always be there, the silver jubilee may only be around for a year or so, so I am tempted to buy a half stack now. Eventually I want a JCM 800 because many of my favorite guitarists from the 90s used this amp & to be frank, it's out of my budget. I'm leaning towards the silver jubilee for now, JCM in a year or two.

srmd22

Reaction score
Yeah, that 2525 head/cab looks awesome - with that vertical 212, especially, to me. I am looking at the combo for my application - almost a sort studio/bedroom/grab'n go rehearsing thing. Maybe small gigs? Plus just as a sort of entrance into the whole Marshall thing.

MexicanMike

Reaction score
Yeah, that 2525 head/cab looks awesome - with that vertical 212, especially, to me. I am looking at the combo for my application - almost a sort studio/bedroom/grab'n go rehearsing thing. Maybe small gigs? Plus just as a sort of entrance into the whole Marshall thing.

Yessssss, the vertical cab is nice. Believe it or not, I have the same question as you.. Combo or head & cab? As far as transportation goes, in my mind the head & cab would be easier to move.

I think I'm going with the 25/5 head & vertical half stack because it looks awesome. I started a thread on this & a poster brought up an interesting point. If you get the head, you can plug it into different cabs thus more tonal flexibilities.

srmd22

Reaction score
That's true -always a tough choice when deciding which way to go, head vs. combo. On the flip side, the jube combo has a good complement of speaker outs in the back, so you can still experiment with cabs - just doesn't look as cool that way :)

HotRats73

Reaction score
I own a 2555x and I love it. it'a fantastic amp with a unique voice in the marshall family and I'd love to buy a mini jub head for gigging on smaller stages. maybe one day I'll get one.

if you plan to use the mini jub as a 2 ch amp be aware that balancing clean and lead channel may to be always easy and may force you to compromise or add a pedal.

having a shared gain and a clean channel without volume knob makes things tricky because the gain you choose for the lead channel affects the volume of the clean channel

to solve the "problem" I use a looper/switcher that can trigger the channel amp switching.
it can be a programmable switcher with many loops or a simple 1 button pedal with 1 loop permanently associated to the clean channel. in the loop you put an eq, clean boost or whatever pedal you like and that allows you to add a "volume control" for the clean channel.