Silver Jubilee Vs. Other Question

• Thread starter srmd22
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

bigyinuk

Reaction score
I use a G-Major in the FX loop and use the relay out to switch channels. I increase gain on the patches that I use with the clean channel.

HotRats73

Reaction score
@HotRats73: that sounds like a great solution. which looper/switcher do you use?

I'm using a moen gec8 jr right now and I use only 4 programs: clean with a line driver, lead no pedals, lead with a boost, lead with a boost and an eq boosting some level ane some mids.

I'm basically using the looper as a bigger channel selector at the moment.
all other pedals (modulations, delay, reverb, solo boost) are patched outside the looper or in the looper but with loops always open and I switch the single pedals on tapping them as usual.

Last edited:

HotRats73

Reaction score
I use a G-Major in the FX loop and use the relay out to switch channels. I increase gain on the patches that I use with the clean channel.

you gave me an idea.
I'll try to move my line driver for the clean channel form the front to the fx loop and see if sounds different in a good way.

Last edited:

JacksonCharvelAddict

Reaction score
I'm using a moen gec8 jr right now and I use only 4 programs: clean with a line driver, lead no pedals, lead with a boost, lead with a boost and an eq boosting some level ane some mids.

I'm basically using the looper as a bigger channel selector at the moment.
all other pedals (modulations, delay, reverb, solo boost) are patched outside the looper or in the looper but with loops always open and I switch the single pedals on tapping them as usual.

I have been looking for a cheap way to do this. I had my HD500 set up using the 4 cable method so I could have the jubilee on the lead channel and swap out the pre-amp for one of the pods clean pre-amps. This works but feels dirty having a line 6 hooked up to a jubilee. A looper like you use would be a great way for me to have a clean tone with chorus/delay and a lead sound without.

dreyn77

Reaction score
Hey thanks guys for the thread!
HotRats73 made a great point. It's a unique sound in the Marshall range.
You'll be jumping into a custom marshall sound, with your first amp.
There's plenty of combo marshalls from the 1980's and 1990's too.
They're all great. They differ in tone and distortions. The special models sound more complex.

HotRats73

Reaction score
I have been looking for a cheap way to do this. I had my HD500 set up using the 4 cable method so I could have the jubilee on the lead channel and swap out the pre-amp for one of the pods clean pre-amps. This works but feels dirty having a line 6 hooked up to a jubilee. A looper like you use would be a great way for me to have a clean tone with chorus/delay and a lead sound without.

I'm still experimenting with this set up (the gec8 is brand new and, by the way, is the 2nd edition wich has improved features) and at the moment the idea I'm following is to have 4 basic sounds: a clean and 3 dirty sounds one is the job alone with gain between 4 and 5, the other 2 are the jubilee pushed in front harder and much harder.

jimmy3711

Reaction score
I am heartened by the reports of 2525c owners pleased with the amp - so little info on this model out there yet.

@jimmy3711 and PBGas: how does the 2525 compare to other Marshall's and other amps you have owned? How would you describe the distortion sounds, the cleans, and the versatility/switcheability between tones, etc?
Compared to my 2555x, it's very close. I retubed both amps with identical tubes. The speaker in the combo gives it a slightly different voice, but still great. The sensitivity of pick attacks is the best that I have ever had in a combo amp. The lead channel has plenty of gain and easy to dial in for my tastes.

I can easily switch between both channels easily. I usually dial my neck pickup back for cleans and then flip to my bridge pickup on full for my dirty stuff.

jimmy3711

Reaction score
I played with the rhythm clip today. I haven't spent the time dialing this in. After quite a bit of time just focusing on this, I'm really finding a new door that's a blast and produces some great sounds.

RickyLee

VIP Member
Reaction score
I played with the rhythm clip today. I haven't spent the time dialing this in. After quite a bit of time just focusing on this, I'm really finding a new door that's a blast and produces some great sounds.

Although I do not own the new Jubilee re-issue or that mini 2525 Jubilee, I am wondering what tubes these minis are running in the power amp? And even more I am wondering what voltage these little mini 2525 amps are running on their power tubes?

I do own some vintage Jubilee stuff as I have an '87 Silver 2555 and an '89 Black 2550. I wanted to comment about the Rhythm/Clean channel and using the Rhythm Clip feature. If you are looking for a dirty tone and a lead boost without having to run external pedals, that Rhythm Clip is perfect for setting up your rhythm channel, then switch over to the Lead channel for just that, or set it to taste for a heavier tone or grind.

Basically, you just dial in the Rhythm channel with the Rhythm Clip engaged. Then you just have to turn down the Lead Master a bit to set the level you need. I have dialed in some quite tasty distorted tones on my Jubilee amps using that Rhythm channel and Rhythm Clip. I am surprised more people do not realize how good it can sound that way.

HotRats73

Reaction score
While rebuilding my pedalboard at home I've shot a crappy video on how I use the switcher & boosts to get 4 channels out of my 2555x

Preset A: 2555x clean ch + custom made boost/line driver used for level compensation of the clean channel against the lead one
Preset B: 2555x lead ch only (gain @ 4)
Preset C: 2555x lead ch + boost (fulltone fat boost 3) pushing
Preset D: 2555x lead ch + boost + eq (EQD tone job) pushing some more (hell yeah!)

sorry about my feet, LOL!

jimmy3711

Reaction score
Although I do not own the new Jubilee re-issue or that mini 2525 Jubilee, I am wondering what tubes these minis are running in the power amp? And even more I am wondering what voltage these little mini 2525 amps are running on their power tubes?

Both my 2555x and 2525c came with Tung Sol EL34's. I have since put KT77's in both of them.

RickyLee

VIP Member
Reaction score

Maybe I need to read up on these new amps as I was thinking that 2525 is supposed to be a 25W amp?

Is it running two EL34's or one? What is the rated output on the 2525?

fndrblndr

Reaction score
The 2525 is 20 watts. Dual EL-34. Supposedly Class A to get it down to 20 watts.

I am so happy this is not another EL-84 amp.

Last edited:

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score

I do own some vintage Jubilee stuff as I have an '87 Silver 2555 and an '89 Black 2550. I wanted to comment about the Rhythm/Clean channel and using the Rhythm Clip feature. If you are looking for a dirty tone and a lead boost without having to run external pedals, that Rhythm Clip is perfect for setting up your rhythm channel, then switch over to the Lead channel for just that, or set it to taste for a heavier tone or grind.

Basically, you just dial in the Rhythm channel with the Rhythm Clip engaged. Then you just have to turn down the Lead Master a bit to set the level you need. I have dialed in some quite tasty distorted tones on my Jubilee amps using that Rhythm channel and Rhythm Clip. I am surprised more people do not realize how good it can sound that way.
I still find it not gainy enough with yhe clip on, I have to pin the gain then it's a bit much on kead channel. Have to boost it to use both channels unless clean is left clean.

mickeydg5

Reaction score
The middle east of the united states of America
I always let my processor patch determine the arena of distortion on this amplifier but I utilize the effects loop. Anyway that is how I use it. If my patch is set high gain then RHYTHM gives me one level and the LEAD gives a more extreme outcome. If the patch is toggled clean then RHYTHM gives me cleaner while LEAD gives more crunch. I really do not use the RHYTHM CLIP at all because I like maximum clean and maximum signal.

Anyway as Jethro kind of points out, using the RHYTHM CLIP actually makes the RHYTHM channel signal lower and dirtier while it makes the LEAD channel signal lower and cleaner. I hope you guys get that and can see it in the schematic.

RickyLee

VIP Member
Reaction score
Yeah, that Rhythm Clip knocking down the output of the channel is one of the bummers. But all of you guys using more complex setups with the loop and processors, the Rhythm Clip is not really needed.

But I did notice one day experimenting with the Rhythm channel and the Clipper was that it gives the amp another tonal color to play with in contrast to the tonal color of the Lead channel. And between my '87 2555, '89 2550 and the 2555 Clone, one of them that I am not remembering which one had an actual very tasty distorted tone on that Rhythm Clip. Just want people to be aware of the option as it does get overlooked by many a Jube user.

HotRats73

Reaction score
The jubilee is basically a single channel amp with 2 added features named clean channel and rythm clip.
everyone interested in buying one needs to understand that.

once you approach the head as a single channel all the added features can be very useful for expanding the tonal possibilities of the head (but you'll probably need to set up some tricks)

but if someones think he can max the gain and then switch to a balanced clean channel at any volume, well it not the right amp for that.

bigyinuk

Reaction score
Sure the Jube is a one trick pony, but as someone else here said, it does that trick very well indeed. IMO its about the sound in your head - Whichever amp you decide on has to deliver that.

For my money, the Jube is the best Marshall that I've ever owned, and I've owned loads over the years - mainly because I could switch it on and get a sound without hours of twiddling.

If you need loads of different sounds, these days you're probably best off going for a Kemper or another modeller, but in reality *most* guitar players only use one or two sounds, especially live.

jimmy3711

Reaction score
Maybe I need to read up on these new amps as I was thinking that 2525 is supposed to be a 25W amp?

Is it running two EL34's or one? What is the rated output on the 2525?

It's 20w switchable down to 5w. Two EL34's.

HotRats73

Reaction score
Sure the Jube is a one trick pony, but as someone else here said, it does that trick very well indeed. IMO its about the sound in your head - Whichever amp you decide on has to deliver that.

For my money, the Jube is the best Marshall that I've ever owned, and I've owned loads over the years - mainly because I could switch it on and get a sound without hours of twiddling.

If you need loads of different sounds, these days you're probably best off going for a Kemper or another modeller, but in reality *most* guitar players only use one or two sounds, especially live.

I agree. the jub is the kind of amp you buy because of his tone not the features.

of course you can buy a jvm because you like the sound (wich is pretty good!) but his features are a big part of his appeal too.