SL-X tone/pre amp EQ

• Thread starter dashizzler
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

dashizzler

Reaction score
Ok. I just bought a used SL-X off eBay(It's actually my 3rd SL-X) and 90 amp tech dollars later (it was a little messed up when I got it, but that's a whole nother story) it's pretty much everything I want in a head, great Marshall gain, single channel, plain and simple. So my post is more or less about the tone, and I suppose I would like to hear from other SL-X owners if they have experienced this. The pre amp is not very responsive once I get over 1oclock on the knobs. Now, it doesn't seem like there is anything wrong. I remember this from my other heads years ago. The way I have it set up right now is basically the pre amp is dimed out. Even the presence knob is pretty high. I know this amp is dark sounding for a Marshall, but this is CRAZY DARK. I did buy new JJ's and I know these tubes are generally darker from what I understand. The low end is great, as the amp is the 5881 version, I just want to hear some feedback on your experience with this, if any or might it just be my unit. I guess I should give a rundown of the gear, ESP LTD Viper with Duncan Distortion>Monster cable>SL-X>Monster speaker cable>Mesa standard/X-pattern Celestion T100's and K100's. and like I said, JJ 6L6 with JJ ECC83S, and the tubes are brand new, less than and hour on them. Also my other guitar is a BC Rich V with a single EMG 85 in the bridge, with the same result. All in all I'm not coplaining, I suppose if I want different tone it would be nice to have a wider range of pre amp eq, or is this all I get with a one channel amp? I have Tung-Sol's in my DSL and they sound great, bright and crunchy but not sheering. I'm wondering if a tube change might be in order...

Blacque Jacque

Reaction score
Hmmm, I don't find my SL-X dark particularly, mine's a 5881 50w & it gives me a great straight ahead rock type sound. There is enough range in the pre section to alter the tone quite a bit. It will never sound like a Fender though ;)

I've dropped a 5751 in the V2 slot to decrease the fizz from the 2nd gain stage, other than that it's dead stock.

I run the following settings:
Preamp - 9
Gain - 12
Treble - 7
Middle - 5
Bass - 10
Presence - 6
Master A - 6
Master B - 7

The full rig is assorted guitars with EMG89's at the bridge, straight in to the amp, no fx, JCM900 1960A cab (G12T75's).

dashizzler

Reaction score
I'm starting to think it's my T100's the more I hear it. They are supposedly "scoopy" like T75's from what I've read, but I had 75's before and they sound nothing like the T100's. I don't know. Actually with the mids on my amp turned up higher and the EMG's in BC Rich, it sounds pretty bad ass. I really like the tone, don't get me wrong, and I don't think that gain stage sounds fizzy. Well I think it has just the right amount of fizz.

Blacque Jacque

Reaction score
I'd certainly try a different cab / speakers if it's something you can do easily. I've no experience with T100's, I've only run the SL-X into the 1960 or a JCM800 1935 (Bass)..............