• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

So, What's The Consensus On The Marshall Origin? Owners, Chime In!

• Thread starter doomsdaymachine
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

BRMarshall

Reaction score
I’ve had my Origin20H for a few years now, running it through 2 1x12 cabs with a 25w Greenback and V-Type. It is a cleanish amp. I listened to/watched several videos back then and its tone was similar (through small computer speakers) to the SV20. By itself, some mild distortion, but not the type available in the DSL line. I run 3 different OD pedals (Archer Ikon, OCD-Ge, and Behringer TO800) in the front and get a wide variety of OD tones. The O20 has a clear, open tone by itself and works well with my pedals. The effects loop and amp overall is very low noise with everything powered through a Fuhrman. My original plan was to have my Origin and a DSL20H, back before Marshall prices increased around 60%. I’ve been holding off on the DSL in hopes of prices dropping, but may bite the bullet this summer regardless - you only live once.

The Origin line are real nice amps if it’s the tone you’re looking for. Sadly, they aren’t the bargain they were a few years ago, but nothing else seems to be either. A big advantage for me is that both the O20 and DSL20 are cathode bias so I can replace EL34 power tubes myself without having to get the bias adjusted. For me 20 watts is plenty loud enough.

Matthewthomas

Reaction score
All the famous sounds that a Marshall ever made on your favorite records was never by itself. I know I was there. If you didn't use pedals in front of it, you had Studio processing. The Origin works fine, and it is a great JMP clone. Economy gear is merely not built to withstand the rigors of getting knocked around on the road on tour. For most everyone else it'll be more than enough.
I agree for the “most everyone else” which is definitely me in my living room. My favourite marshall sound was actually just a ‘59 LP straight into a Marshall 100w but I’m not going to get there myself lol, we mere mortals will stick with our affordable non-deafening rigs and pedals haha