• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

So, What's The Consensus On The Marshall Origin? Owners, Chime In!

• Thread starter doomsdaymachine
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Python

Reaction score
I just got a 50H. I use a mini tube screamer stacked with a mini tumnus set to low gains, gets classic rock tones no problem. I had a JMP back in the day, should have never sold it. I really thought the Origin wasn't going to sound good but I was impressed. Good value, hope it is reliable and lasts.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
I just got a 50H. I use a mini tube screamer stacked with a mini tumnus set to low gains, gets classic rock tones no problem. I had a JMP back in the day, should have never sold it. I really thought the Origin wasn't going to sound good but I was impressed. Good value, hope it is reliable and lasts.
Congratulations on your new amp
And :welcome: To the forum.
Cheers
Mitch

MarshallDog

Reaction score

Congrats on the new amp! I’ve had my 50C for some time now with no issues knock on wood.

Timmy51

Reaction score
Great amps for playing very loud and with little amp gain

pedal platform is a good use but home use without pedals is clean or deafening

sold mine and got the DSL40CR

Similar.. Sold mine and got the Mesa

BanditPanda

Reaction score
I have the Origin 50 and I run it through and OX. I have the volume on 7 and the gain cranked. It is just like a Plexi. Great tone and with an Analog Alien Joe Walsh Double Classic out front it is a gem. Love this amp so far!

Ok Marty...seriously...now I've got to Google "Analog Alien Joe Walsh Double Classic":cheers:
BP

G Dunn

Reaction score
If you're a new player that doesn't really know what you want in guitar tone yet this isn't your amp, but once you know how to run a tube amp well, feed it a good pedal or two and this amp screams. I am a big fan.

Cal Nevari

Reaction score
This amp has been on/off of my radar, numerous times. Finding one to play has been tough.

I'm primarily interested in the 20H or 50H, (I have a 4x12).

First question, is the 20 non-bias adjustable, and the 50 is?

Second, how tight can they get with a boost? How would it fair as a clean platform, and use of a higher gain pedal, like a BE-OD? I'm more into vintage tones, but thrash territory.

This video is the best I've heard. Simply kills, but, as mentioned, He's boosting it. I'd really like to hear that set up with a Les Paul, like I play.

Play my 20C with a Les Paul and it sounds fantastic. Great for pedals, including OD.

dro

Reaction score
Found my Ori20h to be lacking, sold it after about 6 months.
Was the first run model. With the output jack issue.
Still wanting a low wattage pedal amp. Tried a couple different options.
When Mini Jubilee came out. Got one, was happy for a while.
Had an issue with no sound. Tech could not find problem.
Started working again. Was leery, so traded to GC, for a Deluxe.
Got Orange AD-30 head. Not sure I like it. Does have a different EL84 kind of tone.
Have tried the SV20 at a store. Didn't give me what I wanted.
Maybe the 20-watt amps are not for me.

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
Found my Ori20h to be lacking, sold it after about 6 months.
Was the first run model. With the output jack issue.
Still wanting a low wattage pedal amp. Tried a couple different options.
When Mini Jubilee came out. Got one, was happy for a while.
Had an issue with no sound. Tech could not find problem.
Started working again. Was leery, so traded to GC, for a Deluxe.
Got Orange AD-30 head. Not sure I like it. Does have a different EL84 kind of tone.
Have tried the SV20 at a store. Didn't give me what I wanted.
Maybe the 20-watt amps are not for me.
Try a Ori50h , will have more ‘ thump ‘ for sure .

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
A couple of 1x12's w/ greenbacks - I can't figure out why some people don't like this amp.
A few dirt pedal options out front, and some TBE in the loop w/ EQ - Mine rocks.

1677172411774_1677172389181_pxl_20230216_221450899s-jpg.125830

G Dunn

Reaction score
A couple of 1x12's w/ greenbacks - I can't figure out why some people don't like this amp.
A few dirt pedal options out front, and some TBE in the loop w/ EQ - Mine rocks.

1677172411774_1677172389181_pxl_20230216_221450899s-jpg.125830
A lot of them are expecting high gain JCM800/900 stuff out of it and not really happy with the early Marshall sounds. But I have found the Origin to be a good crunch monster, loud as hell and then it takes pedals incredibly well.

Matthewthomas

Reaction score
I think the key with any amp is to know exactly what you’re going for, whether it’s something very specific or if you’re looking for something versatile. I did my best to research quite a bit without actually being able to play many amps.
I wanted the sound of a Les Paul going through a cranked plexi a la Paul Kossoff , oh and at living room volume that won’t upset my wife who thinks volume at 2 on 0.3w mode is downright abuse. The Les Paul part was easy lol, the rest is pretty much impossible.
If you listen to Psionic Audio, the Origin 20H sounds like crap, has zero plexi bones in its body, has unacceptable build quality and is likely prone to early failure.
If you ask me, with a simple boost/od pedal it sounds not-bad-at-all for what I personally was going for (meaning a passable early blues rock tone), and it’s affordable and has a cool look. I’m not sure I would be as happy if I had paid full price for it though, as I don’t think it quite captures the essence of that thick, rich, legit early Marshall tone. I also find it takes quite a bit of fiddling to get a specific desired as the EQ knobs are not that intuitive, but maybe it’s me. But actually with everything at noon, and gain around 7 or 8 (I don’t use the pull boost) it sounds pretty decent too, with some extra gain from the pedal. That’s my 2c anyway

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the key with any amp is to know exactly what you’re going for, whether it’s something very specific or if you’re looking for something versatile. I did my best to research quite a bit without actually being able to play many amps.
I wanted the sound of a Les Paul going through a cranked plexi a la Paul Kossoff , oh and at living room volume that won’t upset my wife who thinks volume at 2 on 0.3w mode is downright abuse. The Les Paul part was easy lol, the rest is pretty much impossible.
If you listen to Psionic Audio, the Origin 20H sounds like crap, has zero plexi bones in its body, has unacceptable build quality and is likely prone to early failure.
If you ask me, with a simple boost/od pedal it sounds not-bad-at-all for what I personally was going for (meaning a passable early blues rock tone), and it’s affordable and has a cool look. I’m not sure I would be as happy if I had paid full price for it though, as I don’t think it quite captures the essence of that thick, rich, legit early Marshall tone. I also find it takes quite a bit of fiddling to get a specific desired as the EQ knobs are not that intuitive, but maybe it’s me. But actually with everything at noon, and gain around 7 or 8 (I don’t use the pull boost) it sounds pretty decent too, with some extra gain from the pedal. That’s my 2c anyway
I wouldn't use Psionic Audio as a reference for amp tone. I watch his vids cause I like his expertise working on amps. I have never heard him dial in a good tone on any amp he plays at the end of his vids. In fact they all have one thing in common, lifeless tone.

I'm thinking it's what he records with? All those amps can't sound horribly forgettable tone wise in person. I'm not talking about his playing ability. Just the tones.

The right Speakers. It's what any healthy amp needs to breathe tone.

My Ori50H bleeds rock. Once I learned volume/gain work together to get its best I was off and run'n. I pedal the amps crunch tone with some great OD's for that vintage Marshall rock/hard rock.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I WOULDNT USE PSIONIC AUDIO AS A REFERENCE FOR AMP TONE. I watch his vids cause I like his expertise working on amps. I HAVE NEVER HEARD HIM DIAL IN A GOOD TONE ON ANY AMP HE PLAYS AT THE END OF HIS VIDEOS, they all have one thing in common, LIFELESS TONE.
I would completely agree with you about Psionic Audio bro! I occasionally watch some of his amp repair and review videos.

He seems to know his amp stuff and he’s got a great voice, very deliberate and an interesting tone.

But his sound tests are virtually useless imo, he doesn’t seem to know the first thing about getting tones from an amp,…

Last edited:

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
I wouldn't use Psionic Audio as a reference for amp tone. I watch his vids cause I like his expertise working on amps. I have never heard him dial in a good tone on any amp he plays at the end of his vids. In fact they all have one thing in common, lifeless tone.

I'm thinking it's what he records with? All those amps can't sound horribly forgettable tone wise in person. I'm not talking about his playing ability. Just the tones.

The right Speakers. It's what any healthy amp needs to breathe tone.

My Ori50H bleeds rock. Once I learned volume/gain work together to get its best I was off and run'n. I pedal the amps crunch tone with some great OD's for that vintage Marshall rock/hard rock.
Absolutely , the guy for sure knows how to fix a valve amp but not wanting to sound too harsh his guitar playing is at best poor and he doesn’t seem to be able to dial any amp in tone wise . My Ori50h gets plenty of use even though I’ve got more expensive amps , it sounds like good old school Marshall should , runs flat out ( into torpedo reload coz it’s freaking loud ) for 2 to 3 hours regular no problem , what more does anyone want . As you say Solar , the thing loves OD’s and boosts and really gets it rocking hard 🤘

ssolo8

Reaction score
This amp has been on/off of my radar, numerous times. Finding one to play has been tough.

I'm primarily interested in the 20H or 50H, (I have a 4x12).

First question, is the 20 non-bias adjustable, and the 50 is?

Second, how tight can they get with a boost? How would it fair as a clean platform, and use of a higher gain pedal, like a BE-OD? I'm more into vintage tones, but thrash territory.

This video is the best I've heard. Simply kills, but, as mentioned, He's boosting it. I'd really like to hear that set up with a Les Paul, like I play.

All the famous sounds that a Marshall ever made on your favorite records was never by itself. I know I was there. If you didn't use pedals in front of it, you had Studio processing. The Origin works fine, and it is a great JMP clone. Economy gear is merely not built to withstand the rigors of getting knocked around on the road on tour. For most everyone else it'll be more than enough.

Ufoscorpion

Reaction score
All the famous sounds that a Marshall ever made on your favorite records was never by itself. I know I was there. If you didn't use pedals in front of it, you had Studio processing. The Origin works fine, and it is a great JMP clone. Economy gear is merely not built to withstand the rigors of getting knocked around on the road on tour. For most everyone else it'll be more than enough.
Well said sir 👍

Latest posts