The best and only pedal you ever need (probably)

• Thread starter sdn25
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

sdn25

Reaction score
Funny, some days I love what it’s doing. And some days I love the sound when it’s not engaged. I’m convinced that tone is in the ears.

you’re hearing the difference between a buffered and a non buffered signal. Non-buffered : the capacitance of the cables roll off high end in your sound and it moves the resonance peak of the signal closer to the higher mids depending on the length of cable you use. When buffered it restores the integrity of the signal mitigating the lossy sound of shielded cables.

Last edited:

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I'm a diehard disciple of the Cult Of Equalization but I like more bands. I use a 31 band Alesis DEQ-230 rack mount EQ as the last part of my signal chain before the power amplifier, where possible.

More bands, more better. More precision tweaking of the tone.

sdn25

Reaction score
I'm a diehard disciple of the Cult Of Equalization but I like more bands. I use a 31 band Alesis DEQ-230 rack mount EQ as the last part of my signal chain before the power amplifier, where possible.

More bands, more better. More precision tweaking of the tone.
You might have a hard time putting that on a pedalboard 🗿

sdn25

Reaction score
I have more than one of these. Far, far superior for me.

View attachment 110972
This is kinda like the boss eq200. This is a really expensive pedal. For that much the boss eq200 is better, it has programmable presets plus a digital screen and more connectivity options.

Is this superior to the mxr in terms of equing or are you saying it’s superior because it has more features ?

slade

Reaction score
Hmm, I never noticed that my old black Mxr 10 band eq was noisy. That’s probably because my zuul kills the noise if there is any. I have mine in the loop.

Crikey

Reaction score
Ah yes, the fabled EQ pedal, specifically the new blue LED MXR 10 band EQ. Its a weird pedal in the sense a lot of people do not really understand the potential that such a pedal can provide to your rig. It truly does it all for me. It has a fantastic built in buffer to boot, you can have up to 24dB of boost into the front of your amp, you can also basically make any overdrive pedal using an EQ. Just adjust the sliders to match the frequency curve of for example, a tubescreamer, and boost gain to taste. You essentially have a library of pedals in one pedal. I wonder what you guys think of the MXR 10 bands?
Bruh, those are sweet and make a Marshall a fire breather monster for attack and dynamics.
My 900 comes crazy alive with one in the loop, becomes an 800 2203 on roids.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Ah yes, the fabled EQ pedal, specifically the new blue LED MXR 10 band EQ. Its a weird pedal in the sense a lot of people do not really understand the potential that such a pedal can provide to your rig. It truly does it all for me. It has a fantastic built in buffer to boot, you can have up to 24dB of boost into the front of your amp, you can also basically make any overdrive pedal using an EQ. Just adjust the sliders to match the frequency curve of for example, a tubescreamer, and boost gain to taste. You essentially have a library of pedals in one pedal. I wonder what you guys think of the MXR 10 bands?
I like the EQ pedal but It doesnt do EVERYTHING. I have classic amps so I need OD pedals in addition to the EQ pedal to get higher gain tones at reasonable volumes.

sdn25

Reaction score
I’ve been eyeballing those. I believe there are 2 separate EQs in it so you could put one in the front and one in the loop. Is that correct?
I’d suggest the boss eq200 over that, same price, has 2 eqs plus a digital display to show what your adjustment has done in reality.

tonycaster

Reaction score
I’m not saying it replaces anything, I’m saying if you’re getting only ONE pedal, this is the one, it’s a jack of most trades but master of none except being a clean boost and tone shaper. I was just talking about the plethora of possibilities from a relatively inexpensive pedal to spice up your guitar fun :)
in fact, I left you MY 2 cents concerning MY taste. If I'm happy with my amp tone I would place one OD with an eq section, but not the mxr eq 'cause I didn't like it:):dude: YMMV

TXOldRedRocker

Classic Rock or die! -- Patrick Henry
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is kinda like the boss eq200. This is a really expensive pedal. For that much the boss eq200 is better, it has programmable presets plus a digital screen and more connectivity options.

Is this superior to the mxr in terms of equing or are you saying it’s superior because it has more features ?

I’ve been eyeballing those. I believe there are 2 separate EQs in it so you could put one in the front and one in the loop. Is that correct?

Yes, and yes.

rando

Reaction score
The new ones have no additional noise from what I’ve seen and they were able to make it less lossy, where people were complaining the old one would dampen their signal but the new one in fact since it buffers it, has an inherent bump in volume. The quality of buffer in this pedal is on par with like the JHS buffers. I did an A/B test and it really maintains the original tone.
ahh, making me want to buy the new one to replace the old one. I prefer to use it only on my Origin. One guy on YT says he can mimic any amp with it in the loop. I don't think so, but you can definitely radically change the tone of your amp with it in the loop.

Justin Whitstine

Reaction score
FYI: the leds can be pulled out and turned 180 degrees and it puts them out. I think if you flip the 31.25 around all the middle lights go out. The pedal in original form blinded me. :)