The new $800 20 watt "plexi"

• Thread starter jeffb
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ricksdisconnected

Reaction score
Coming soon...

Sweetwater has a demo, but as usual, not recorded very well.

Zzounds link
PRS HDRX 20 watt
there is a good video out there with some guy and PRS playing this amp. doesnt sound to shabby
to be honest. i dont know if this is the same video as i didnt watch it.
im looking for a real player to get a hold of this amp for a real demo. ive watched PRS
play through a few of his amps and never have liked his setting choices.
but it does sound to be promising and possible at a good price point too.

jeffb

Reaction score
im looking for a real player to get a hold of this amp for a real demo.
Exactly.

If they want to do a demo with their own artist, they should use Simon McBride. Otherwise, I'll need to hear a few others put it through its paces before I can make much comment about it.

jeffb

Reaction score
I have yet to hear a PRS/Sewell designed amp that I actually like. To my ear they always miss the mark.
I'm of the same general opinion, however that first Hendrix/Allman amp they did several years ago was pretty good. I've heard that bugger in person through a good cab (AX).

-BOOGIEMAN-

Reaction score
Looks interesting and would like to hear more from others as well, especially Pete Thorn, but I doubt that is a possibility. At that price point, I’m more interested in the Jet City JCA800…
:nutkick:

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
ha! His guitars are very nice as we all are aware.

The amp appears to be his take on a Hendrix amp using 5881 power tubes.
TBH, I didn't watch the video, since it wasn't posted, but, I'm just pointing out that, the demo might be a good demo. Also, there's always the listener's system, that may not give a good representation, as well as the listener's ears, may just not like that amp. It might sound great, to the next listener.... :shrug:

jeffb

Reaction score
TBH, I didn't watch the video, since it wasn't posted, but, I'm just pointing out that, the demo might be a good demo. Also, there's always the listener's system, that may not give a good representation, as well as the listener's ears, may just not like that amp. It might sound great, to the next listener.... :shrug:
Well I did listen on my studio cans, bit generally I find Sweetwater demos pretty poor as far as sound quality (how they like to record) and unless Don Carr is doing the demo, very limited in tonal scope/variety. Mitch and Nick are great guys, but they make everything sound like a cheap modeling amp.

jeffb

Reaction score
Looks like only a handful of vids up so far, and mostly with PRS guitars and their cabs.

Below is probably the best one yet- and sounds pretty good. I'd still like to hear some Les Pauls or a EVH 78 style guitar and G12Ms.

I'd FF though the beginning, lots of :blah::blah:

PelliX

Reaction score
I may catch some flames, but those are my exact feelings about Blackstar. I haven't heard one I liked yet.

They do one thing well. Dime the gain and let 'em rip. They have this sort of compressed raw grinding overdrive to them which is a cool sound. Not the sound I'd want to use very often, but when they do that - they do it well. Also, fair is fair, as opposed to Marshall they figured out how to add a line out that is actually usable. I don't personally have one, that says something, I guess...

Rocktane

Reaction score
Looks like only a handful of vids up so far, and mostly with PRS guitars and their cabs.

Below is probably the best one yet- and sounds pretty good. I'd still like to hear some Les Pauls or a EVH 78 style guitar and G12Ms.

Totally agree on the 78 VH, LP, & GB! I will ad some certain SG Angus as well.

I'm really wanting to be excited about this amp. Sadly, I haven't heard anything yet that would compel me to own one.

C-Grin

Reaction score

That vid might have my ears up on one when I can find one.

jaallen

Reaction score
They did well on the MT15, we must admit. I do want to check out the 100 watter, through my OX. May have to check before buy for the 20 watter.

Filipe Soares

Reaction score

this is a very unusual person, he looks like someone how makes homebrew beer, he mooves too much and produces no actual sound while picking and moving his hands. dafuq.