The official 1 watt thread.

• Thread starter Georgiatec
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
In any case I don't see any problem using an 8ohm cabinet with that amp, I'm sure it can tolerate the mismatch without any issues.

The mismatches aren't a big deal, the real problem with tube amps are intermittent loads like a faulty jack vibrating and not making proper contact, a speaker cable with soldering issues or continuity problems and so on.

I’m not taking any chances...the manual clearly states 16 ohm load only!

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
I'm afraid I don't 100% know... The current DSL series were started while I was still there but I'm sure the design was changed after I left. It's got a ECC82 push pull output and probably it has a solid state phase inverter but that doesn't matter. In any case I don't see any problem using an 8ohm cabinet with that amp, I'm sure it can tolerate the mismatch without any issues.

The mismatches aren't a big deal, the real problem with tube amps are intermittent loads like a faulty jack vibrating and not making proper contact, a speaker cable with soldering issues or continuity problems and so on.
Thanks, that's pretty much what I have come to understand thanks to my conversations w/ you & Dawson...

S/S PI, eh? That seems weird, because a lot of the DSL sound seemed to come from pushing the PI hard. You can't push S/S quite the same...

If it works though... :)...

santiall

Reaction score
well, the older DSL has 5 gain stages and a cathode follower which need 3x 12AX7 tubes and the phase inverter would need an additional full tube itself. As far as I know the new DSL1 has 2x12AX7 plus the power tube so as you can see not enough tubes for all the functions.

Nothing wrong with having a SS phase inverter, SS gain stages or both. Technically it is not a full tube circuit but the market is full of amps claiming full tube when they are not, class A amp when they are not and so on :D

Jakeboy

Reaction score
Really starting to dig the boost function on the JMP1h.
Marshall did a great job with that.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m expecting a delivery tomorrow....the 1-12 cabinet I ordered with my DSL1HR the beginning of the month. I got the head but the MX112R cab was on back order.

I haven’t even heard it yet and I’m already looking at replacement speakers for the stock Seventy 80. :scratch: If I do this I’d like to stay with Celestion, maybe a G12H-75, or 30, or G12M-65, or V-Type, etc, ect, etc.

Any recommendations?

Jakeboy

Reaction score
What tone are you looking for? Modern or vintage? Or something else entirely? Lots o choices...

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
What tone are you looking for? Modern or vintage? Or something else entirely? Lots o choices...

I’m not sure what I want....I’m not even sure I know the difference. I play classic rock and blues. If the modern tone you’re talking about is a kind of ‘scoop the mids’ tone, I’m not looking for that.

I guess I like the vintage tone, I love the 1970s LP thru Marshall tone. A Paul Kossoff kind of tone.

Jakeboy

Reaction score
Ok that helps! If you are into 70s arshall tones and blues go with some Greenbacks...either 10” or 12”. I have a JMP1h but I assumingthe DSL does the classic tones. Greenies are a key part of that.

slagg

Reaction score
Anybody have any idea were the bright cap for the clean channel is from this pic ?dsl1_03.jpg

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok that helps! If you are into 70s arshall tones and blues go with some Greenbacks...either 10” or 12”. I have a JMP1h but I assumingthe DSL does the classic tones. Greenies are a key part of that.

Thanks....I’ve narrowed it down to two speakers...a G12M 25 watt Greenback or a G12M-65 Creamback.

bridge500t

Reaction score
I'm afraid I don't 100% know... The current DSL series were started while I was still there but I'm sure the design was changed after I left. It's got a ECC82 push pull output and probably it has a solid state phase inverter but that doesn't matter. In any case I don't see any problem using an 8ohm cabinet with that amp, I'm sure it can tolerate the mismatch without any issues.

I emailed Marshall about using an 8ohm cab with it, they specifically stated to not do this. They said it could damage the amp.

daniel_angel

Reaction score
In my search for the "least powerful amp" in the world (I play or try to do it in my house in a small room) I have definitely found my partner in a combo Marshall JVM1C 50th anniversary edition. The fact is that being satisfied I see that his 8-inch speaker is no wonder ... although for me it is not bad.

I've been thinking about buying a complementary cabinet, but for space reasons I would prefer to upgrade the original speaker.

In some Internet video and in some opinion of a German internet store, I know that there are people who have installed a 10-inch speaker in a Marshall 8-inch (the JVM1C and the DSL1C/DSL1CR). Therefore, I understand that it’s possible.

In particular, I'm thinking of a Celestion G10 Greenback.

But I have doubts about the depth of the reform ... usually putting a new speaker is “screw and unscrew” but having a change in size ... the question is if it's necessary to make a larger hole according to the new diameter which make necessary to completely disassemble the ampli ... something that I am not willing to do.

Have any of you with an 8-inch amp installed a 10-inch speaker? Or with a 10-inch amp installed a 12-inch speaker and can share the experience?

Regards

Last edited:

dleake

Reaction score
Not mine but a cool 1 watt setup. Especially for a studio.

IMG-3100.jpg

Steelerd

Reaction score
What's everyone's take on the DSL1CR Speaker? that owns one just noseying between one of those an the head an a cab of some description :)

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's everyone's take on the DSL1CR Speaker? that owns one just noseying between one of those an the head an a cab of some description :)

Well I haven’t played thru one or even heard one live...but it gets some high praises on the videos I’ve watched.

And it certainly sounded good to me on those videos, but can’t really tell. I just can’t get on with an 8” speaker no matter how good someone tells me it is.

10” is the smallest I’m willing to accept!

Best of luck on your research. :thumb:

Oh, btw here’s my Dsl1hr and MX112R cab with a G12M-65 Creamback...

Sailindawg

Reaction score
OK, I'm sitting around looking to do something different with my JTM1H. I vaguely remember that I could use the JTM1H (I guess all the other 1 watters as well) as a preamp to my JMD:1 by running the JTM1h In low power mode, connecting the JMD fx return. Doing this I get to use the effects of the JMD with the JTM.

I found this thread http://www.marshallforum.com/threads/how-to-slave.48644/. It recommends using an instrument cable and running the cable from the 16 ohm tap of the JTM1H into the JMD fx return at +4dBu. I understand this.

But here's my question, does the JMD have to connected to a 16 ohm speaker as well? or can the JMD be connected to an 8 ohm speaker?

I would like to use my 2x12 cab that is 8 ohm. I watched a YouTube video of this exact setup, except the YouTuber used the 16 ohm tap of the JMD to connect to his speaker cab.