The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread

• Thread starter Micky
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rjohns1

Reaction score
Micky, c19 affects both modes of the ultra channel. It is a bright cap across the gain pot.

frankyfal

Reaction score
Micky, c19 affects both modes of the ultra channel. It is a bright cap across the gain pot.

That is true. I clipped mine and it affected both red channels and my warranty. It is not a cure all for the red channels inherent gain tone though. It just takes away some of the trebly edge making both channels similar tone wise allowing you to share the EQ more evenly.

I can't afford, nor do i want to pay for an Infinity so I bought a Nissan mindset. Same company, but you get what you pay for. Both cars take you from point A to point B. One just does it in a smoother, nicer way, but at a much larger cost.

For $699 with the Sweetwater Creamback upgrade this is still a great 1 (green) channel Marshall amp for EZ gigging.IMO

Skylarkpilot

Reaction score
Thanks Micky.
Just tried that advice and it appears normal:scratch:
I just don't get why those components show no activity when the amp's on.
I've even been all the way around it re-making any dodgy looking solder joints. Still cannot set volume and gain anywhere four and over without feedback.
I guess I'd better start looking for a tech' :ugh:

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Thanks Micky.
Just tried that advice and it appears normal:scratch:
I just don't get why those components show no activity when the amp's on.
I've even been all the way around it re-making any dodgy looking solder joints. Still cannot set volume and gain anywhere four and over without feedback.
I guess I'd better start looking for a tech' :ugh:

Does it do this with no guitar plugged in?
It may be an oscillation that amps up into feedback...
Check the caps around the tubes, as there are some that are there just to cancel out these types of unwanted signals...

Caps like C43, C46, C55, C60, & C78 & 79.

Also could possibly be the PI tube...

mickeydg5

Reaction score
The middle east of the united states of America
Skylarkpilot

Its hard to follow what you are doing and I do not know all of the modifications you may have done but you are reading plenty of components that ride the ground rail. There may or may not be voltages there and there definitely should be none at the ground rail if that is your common reference.

flyfish-mt

Reaction score
Does anybody prefer the FDII Mosfet with their DSL40C over the OCD? I have both, an OCD V4 and FDII MOSFET and I'm kinda' leaning towards the FDII. It seems the FDII is a bit more open and has a sharper bite to it. Whereas the OCD has a really nice low end but seems to lack the edge of the FDII and has scooped mids. As a stand alone overdrive/distortion pedal the OCD is a great sounding pedal but into a slightly broken up Marshall I think may be too much. Anyway, what are your thoughts??

Oh, I'm running these pedals into the green channel with both a LP w/ 36's and a SG JR w/ a Fralin P90.

Lnjryan

Reaction score
Just got mine today!
EmMiipN.jpg

Skylarkpilot

Reaction score
Hi guys and thanks for the input.

The amp only does this when there is an instrument plugged in. No matter how quiet you make the instrument, even if you put it in the stand, just vibrations off the floor through the instrument will slowly build into feedback.

With the Les Paul plugged in It starts at volume four and gain four.
With the Strat plugged in it starts at five on both settings.
This is perhaps logical considering the difference in pickups and seems to rule out any problem with the instruments.

You could therefore be right Micky when you suggest oscillation building into feedback.
I don't think it's the PI as I've tried changing all the tubes and it made no difference.
I'll check the caps you suggested.

I appreciate the suggestions as I know how hard it can be to understand exactly what somebody means when they're describing a problem.

At least all this is allowing my ears to recover a little.

USAPatriot

In Memorandum
Reaction score

I don't believe this is correct. My schematic shows a clear separation between C19 and Red1 and Red2. It connects to Red 2. C20 appears to connect to Red1 but don't know of anyone that's clipped it. I've considered it but don't really see the need. It's not like it's got the ice pick-like tone that Red2 does...totally different from Red1. Unless Marshall's made changes to the design, then there's one bright cap for each mode. -Rod-

11078033_10152865467024102_6373765867403738270_n.jpg

mickeydg5

Reaction score
The middle east of the united states of America
All signal for both LEAD channels pass through VR3 and C19 onto C18.

LEAD 1 has the 150k in parallel with the Gain Control VR3 reducing signal strength.
LEAD 2 removes the 150k increasing signal strength and introduces C20 470pF to remove some higher frequencies.

Len

Reaction score
I don't believe this is correct. My schematic shows a clear separation between C19 and Red1 and Red2. It connects to Red 2. C20 appears to connect to Red1 but don't know of anyone that's clipped it. I've considered it but don't really see the need. It's not like it's got the ice pick-like tone that Red2 does...totally different from Red1. Unless Marshall's made changes to the design, then there's one bright cap for each mode. -Rod-

11078033_10152865467024102_6373765867403738270_n.jpg

Is that schematic posted online somewhere?

Pilgrim of the Dark

Reaction score
Just bought my second DSL40C. Clipped one leg of C19 and bent it back so it's not close to or touching anything. I replaced the stock speaker with a Celestion G12M-65 Creamback. The amp was shipped from Indiana to Arizona.

The amp has loud static/white noise going on and gets worse when I increase volume and/or gain on either channel. This happens with AND without a cable plugged in and the sound doesn't change either way (cable or no).

What could this be? Loose tube from shipping?

ken361

Reaction score
Just bought my second DSL40C. Clipped one leg of C19 and bent it back so it's not close to or touching anything. I replaced the stock speaker with a Celestion G12M-65 Creamback. The amp was shipped from Indiana to Arizona.

The amp has loud static/white noise going on and gets worse when I increase volume and/or gain on either channel. This happens with AND without a cable plugged in and the sound doesn't change either way (cable or no).

What could this be? Loose tube from shipping?

I had this last year with a new 68 twin when I was tube Rollin, I sprayed the tube pins with Deoxit 5 and it worked! Maybe there was some corrosion from sittings in Mexico.

Pilgrim of the Dark

Reaction score
I had this last year with a new 68 twin when I was tube Rollin, I sprayed the tube pins with Deoxit 5 and it worked! Maybe there was some corrosion from sittings in Mexico.

Thanks for the suggestion, never would've thought to do that.

I want to check for loose tubes first, but I've never changed or removed a tube. What would I be looking/feeling for? How hard do you push to properly "seat" a tube?