The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread

• Thread starter Micky
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

ken361

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestion, never would've thought to do that.

I want to check for loose tubes first, but I've never changed or removed a tube. What would I be looking/feeling for? How hard do you push to properly "seat" a tube?

Push it in gently till it snuggled in,make shure the pins line up.

mickeydg5

Reaction score
The middle east of the united states of America
Just bought my second DSL40C. Clipped one leg of C19 and bent it back so it's not close to or touching anything. I replaced the stock speaker with a Celestion G12M-65 Creamback. The amp was shipped from Indiana to Arizona.

The amp has loud static/white noise going on and gets worse when I increase volume and/or gain on either channel. This happens with AND without a cable plugged in and the sound doesn't change either way (cable or no).

What could this be? Loose tube from shipping?
Swap tube V1 with a spare tube or V4 if you have to use something.
This may let you know if it is the V1 tube.

If not check and clean connection CON1A/B at the input area.

Hopefully it is something simple like that.

ken361

Reaction score
My static totally different,as soon as I flipped the standby off there was a loud crackling sound. Yours might be the v1 tube

Bobby D

Reaction score
g'day folk,
My dsl40c was working just fine, then a week before its first gig it started developing static just in the lead channel, now in both. when i put the volume past 4 all i get is feed back. the hiss occurs with nothing plugged in and the feed back with any guitar when the volume is on... i see a couple other people are experiencing similar problems... tested all the tubes for microphonics and they are quiet. my only mod was a speaker swap. is the tubes swap working? i am still under warranty.. should i demand an amp swap or is it a fixable glitch?

frankyfal

Reaction score
My DSL 40 started acting up two months after I bought it. Weird after tone in the natural decaying sound. Before that I replaced C19 with the smaller capacitor and when I did so the nut fell off of the chassis. My warranty was voided. In that time I read numerous threads here and tried different Marshalls. I realized that high gain Marshals are not what I need. I sold that amp at $175 loss. If I didn't void the warranty I would've had it repaired and kept it as a one channel amp because the green channel is amazing and with an OD boost in front is all I need for blues, allman brothers style southern and classic rock.

60Cycle

Reaction score
g'day folk,
My dsl40c was working just fine, then a week before its first gig it started developing static just in the lead channel, now in both. when i put the volume past 4 all i get is feed back. the hiss occurs with nothing plugged in and the feed back with any guitar when the volume is on... i see a couple other people are experiencing similar problems... tested all the tubes for microphonics and they are quiet. my only mod was a speaker swap. is the tubes swap working? i am still under warranty.. should i demand an amp swap or is it a fixable glitch?

Mine was almost unbearable plugged into certain outlets in the house. But once I changed the preamp tubes at idle on standby, or off guitar plugged in or not its dead quiet. Like I have said, Ive come to the conclusion they are getting really cheap tubes or something. Because even replacing all four with JJ 8833Cs long plate tubes, Mullards or Tung Sol CP tubes the hiss, crackle and whatever cycle hum has disappeared. Same as throwing away the ones out of my JVM. Hell the V1 and V2 in my AFD only lasted maybe 40 hours of playing tops.

Pilgrim of the Dark

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. Long night last night, so I didn't get to try them yet. About this preamp tube swap; I have no spare tubes lying around, but my Orange Micro Terror has a 12AX7 preamp tube I guess I could use. Do I swap it with each preamp tube to see if the static goes away?

Pilgrim of the Dark

Reaction score
Success!!!!

Swapped all the preamp tubes individually with the JJ ECC83 from my micro terror and the preamp tube furthest to the right as you're looking at the back of the amp (the preamp tube with the rubber thing on it). I'm guessing that's V1?

Anyway, as soon as I fired it up with that tube replaced, I get normal amp hiss/noise, but that horrible loud static is gone.

Not sure if FedEx dropped it too many times or what, but these Marshall tubes are weak sauce! The amp sounds a bit better with the JJ in it too, lol!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 21

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, that is V1.
You will want a nice quiet tube there.

60Cycle

Reaction score
Success!!!!

Swapped all the preamp tubes individually with the JJ ECC83 from my micro terror and the preamp tube furthest to the right as you're looking at the back of the amp (the preamp tube with the rubber thing on it). I'm guessing that's V1?

Anyway, as soon as I fired it up with that tube replaced, I get normal amp hiss/noise, but that horrible loud static is gone.

Not sure if FedEx dropped it too many times or what, but these Marshall tubes are weak sauce! The amp sounds a bit better with the JJ in it too, lol!

I would've threw all four in the trash that came with it but you never know when you might need one to get by.

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
I would've threw all four in the trash that came with it but you never know when you might need one to get by.

The Chinese Marshall-branded chrome plate preamp tubes that come OEM in this amp are actually pretty good, but every once in a while you get a dud. Damage in shipment, lesser QC and a bunch of other factors contribute to premature tube failure.

The chrome plates are kinda bright, and that is one of the first things people want to do when they get this amp, is tame the brightness.

I use my OEM tubes as my spare set.