• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread

• Thread starter Micky
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Yep. That was my doing. The faceplate guy wouldn't use the DSL because of concerns about Marshall's {tm} on the brand. By doing the D5L it slips under most people's radar while also getting around the maker's legal concerns.

I wondered at first but figure it's not as glaring an issue as Len's so, I'm cool. ;)

Cool workaround. Thanks for the reply.

Willie

G the wildman

Reaction score
I have the Orange TT 15watt combo with the Celestion G12H 12" speaker. I'm still messing around with it - as mentioned before, it has a different sound. Been playing around with running it through my 4x12 with V30s in it to fatten up the tone a bit. I find that the 40C has a warmer, more full tone than my Orange.
I have kept my DSL and also bought a tweed blues junior.

I tried the orange. But it was too close to the DSL and not as versatile. Thanks

rlowe

Reaction score
No standby switch?
In the Marshall Dsl5c manual it just say's, (Paraphrased) Keep volume down, turn mains switch on, wait a couple of minutes, then turn up volume. I will have to look into the circuit design...is different.

Last edited:

whitecloud

Reaction score
a little update. Yesterday I thought i would reamp some tracks I recorded not too long ago and felt it was a good time to a/b the stock seventy/80 vs the Eminence "Private Jack" I have in a 1x12 cab. Double tracked guitars one more crunch and the other with a bit more gain. The DI tracks in
Cubase were ones I had a amp sim plugin so just sent the DI(which was duplicated) out to the Little Labs RedEye reamp box. Those of course were dry without amp sim. Set the 40c to a crunch setting on the Green channel. First pass stock, 2nd out to Private Jack. I did have the 1x12 right next to the amp for the quick connect/disconnect. Then the Red channel/Ld 1 on the next DI track so same deal. Hands down the Private Jack killed the 70/80, but I did notice while I liked the PJ a lot better there was something cool about the stock speaker breakup that was missing in the Eminence.
However I feel that no matter what the 70/80 is just not a quality speaker so I made a decision. I am going to brave replacing the stock speaker, just do it carefully and should not affect warranty. So after all my research and listening to clips I pulled the trigger and ordered a WSG Retro 30. I plan on breaking it in as quick as possible and maybe run an iPod into it. So one more a/b after that and I'll choose between the Retro 30 and the PJ
which one goes in the combo. I have a 4x12 project, replacing speakers and a friend is sending me his 70/80 taken out of this Marshall MX112 cab along with another Eminence so with what I am doing will have 4 speakers to work with for experimentation. Should be fun. If anyone has used a Retro 30 please comments and I'll do the same after it is installed and broken in

rlowe

Reaction score
Hows the EP boost with these amps? is it boomy at all? looking to add some gain to the crunch and red
I am not certain if you are referring to the dsl5c or something else? EP boost's? I use an Archer, and Rothwell od. Tis not boomy, or as robust as the dsl40c with, or without pedals. I mainly use this amp for quite night practice using headphones.

ken361

Reaction score
I been hankering for some humbuckers again bad since I been playing my USA strat well after seeing this video I decided to try one at the store. It sounded really good on the red channel! I got a good deal on it so now im doing a set up at all. Before i wouldnt even consider a bolt on EPI but this should hold me down for a while till I get some funds in. I did try it next to Gibson classic and that had a bit more high end due to the maple cap. See how it performs this weekend. Holding off on the boost for now.

rlowe

Reaction score
I been hankering for some humbuckers again bad since I been playing my USA strat well after seeing this video I decided to try one at the store. It sounded really good on the red channel! I got a good deal on it so now im doing a set up at all. Before i wouldnt even consider a bolt on EPI but this should hold me down for a while till I get some funds in. I did try it next to Gibson classic and that had a bit more high end due to the maple cap. See how it performs this weekend. Holding off on the boost for now.

Be forewarned, I don't know why John Seg. admires these guitars, maybe he's selling them. I have owned the special II and although they do have sound, the pickups are terrible when using common chords with distortion, and the frets could use a little work. I thought it sounded decent with no distortion, maybe jazz but compared to my gibby's no comp. I am not trying to discourage you, and John seems like an ok guy, maybe new pickups, and some fretwork would improve this guitar. Good luck on funding your new Humbucker guitar!

rlowe

Reaction score
Be forewarned, I don't know why John Seg. admires these guitars, maybe he's selling them. I have owned the special II and although they do have sound, the pickups are terrible when using common chords with distortion, and the frets could use a little work. I thought it sounded decent with no distortion, maybe jazz but compared to my gibby's no comp. I am not trying to discourage you, and John seems like an ok guy, maybe new pickups, and some fretwork would improve this guitar. Good luck on funding your new Humbucker guitar!
Here's the catch: If your a beginner and go into, say his, or any guitar store that Epi would seem to sound good and affordable. The owner knows as you improve over time you will see the difference that something is missing. Say a year or two later you come back to that same store and shell out more for the Gibson. Win, Win situation for the guitar store but that is their business, and not everyone has $1500-$3000.00 to shell out especially as a beginner. I see he is using a power break on top of that Marshall amp. Yes, good beginner's guitar.

Last edited:

ken361

Reaction score
It did sound good at the store and I owned a few gibbys, the light weight might make it sound not as big loud though. About almost done setting it up so will see

ken361

Reaction score
Here's the catch: If your a beginner and go into, say his, or any guitar store that Epi would seem to sound good and affordable. The owner knows as you improve over time you will see the difference that something is missing. Say a year or two later you come back to that same store and shell out more for the Gibson. Win, Win situation for the guitar store but that is their business, and not everyone has $1500-$3000.00 to shell out especially as a beginner
have 9 years on me:)

Bownse

Reaction score
If your a beginner and go into, say his, or any guitar store that Epi would seem to sound good and affordable. The owner knows as you improve over time you will see the difference that something is missing. Say a year or two later you come back to that same store and shell out more for the Gibson. Win, Win situation for the guitar store but that is their business, and not everyone has $1500-$3000.00 to shell out especially as a beginner.

That's exactly what I did... :(

whitecloud

Reaction score

If you could go about 70 bucks more you could fetch an Agile perhaps a AL-1900. Has to be a better guitar than the Epi. Base price $229-239.95 shipping just under 20 bucks. I bought a AL2000 Goldtop with P90's some years back. It is a set neck though and I paid $225.00+ shipping. Best bargain ever upgraded the stock P90's and lookout. Go to Rondo's site and poke around. If you are not familiar with Agile guitars, just Google.

ken361

Reaction score
If you could go about 70 bucks more you could fetch an Agile perhaps a AL-1900. Has to be a better guitar than the Epi. Base price $229-239.95 shipping just under 20 bucks. I bought a AL2000 Goldtop with P90's some years back. It is a set neck though and I paid $225.00+ shipping. Best bargain ever upgraded the stock P90's and lookout. Go to Rondo's site and poke around. If you are not familiar with Agile guitars, just Google.
Those are nice guitars almost bought one years ago, there 3100 are nice I believe that have the maple cap

ken361

Reaction score
Guitar sounded really good little surprised:) red 1 nice and thick a tad bassy but not bad at all,Hells Bells! No buzzing,stays in tune good.Have to say China has good quality control. I bet a better humbucker will be just right,not harsh at all for ceramic. I owned a Traditional Les Paul a few months ago.The ET 65 speaker is working well! Crunch Highway to Hell sounds good too.