The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread

• Thread starter Micky
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Angus Rhoads

Reaction score
You're right Micky and I will.\Is there no solution to my ohm problem ? Wiring or ohm conversion box?
Only way you can use two 8ohm speakers with the 40C is to wire them in series to produce a 16ohm load. If you run two separate 8ohm cabs then you're in a parallel situation which won't work with that combo (you'd need two 4ohm taps).

I don't know of any converter that would change the impedance, but maybe something like that exists. I think at that point you're starting to overcomplicate things, though.

Last edited:

BanditPanda

Reaction score
Only way you can use two 8ohm speakers with the 40C is to wire them in series to produce a 16ohm load. If you run two separate 8ohm cabs then you're in a parallel situation which won't work with that combo (you'd need two 4ohm taps).

I don't know of any converter that would change the impedance, but maybe something like that exists. I think at that point you're starting to overcomplicate things, though.

OK thanks Angus. Over complicating things is my modus operandi !:shrug:

nevermind

Reaction score
For fun and games I tried the Emminence Swamp Thang in my DSL40c this afternoon. I couldn't crank it up but will tomorrow. At quiet, practice level volumes it sounded pretty deep with good definition. It will stay in there for now!

You're right Micky and I will.\Is there no solution to my ohm problem ? Wiring or ohm conversion box?

I was running two 8 ohm cabinets into the 16 ohm input jack on my Orange Head until I bought a couple 16 ohm speakers.

Here is one option:
http://procablesnsound.com/items/speaker-y-cables/power-y-adapter-70001-detail.htm

and another
http://bayoucables.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=38&products_id=94

I own both and they both work nicely. The y-cable, series, with a 90* end might be the cleanest option and the Bayou box is about the size of a hard pack box of smokes.

Attachments

• 20170904_164156.jpg
    20170904_164156.jpg
    592.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
You can build (maybe purchase?) a special cable that will combine both speakers into a series load...

BanditPanda

Reaction score
For fun and games I tried the Emminence Swamp Thang in my DSL40c this afternoon. I couldn't crank it up but will tomorrow. At quiet, practice level volumes it sounded pretty deep with good definition. It will stay in there for now!

I was running two 8 ohm cabinets into the 16 ohm input jack on my Orange Head until I bought a couple 16 ohm speakers.

Here is one option:
http://procablesnsound.com/items/speaker-y-cables/power-y-adapter-70001-detail.htm

and another

I own both and they both work nicely. The y-cable, series, with a 90* end might be the cleanest option and the Bayou box is about the size of a hard pack box of smokes.

Beautiful !! Thanks NM. Now to use either of those with my DSL40CV head and 2 x 1 x12 will any re wiring be required?

Angus Rhoads

Reaction score

Here is one option:

and another

I'm gonna have to try one of these!

nevermind

Reaction score
Beautiful !! Thanks NM. Now to use either of those with my DSL40CV head and 2 x 1 x12 will any re wiring be required?

Glad I could help!

If you have two 8 ohm 1x12 cabinets, no wiring required. Plug your speaker cables in the female jacks on the cable and then plug the male end into the single 16 ohm port on the your newly created DSL40H. The box is marked for the speaker ports and the single port to patch to the head.

FWIW, the box got to my house sooner than the Y cable but I use the Y cable more.

One note and I'm not sure anyone wants to play this game!!! I did put one 8 ohm cabinet and one 16 ohm cabinet in series with the cable for a total resistance of right around 20-22 ohm (measured resistance). This was plugged into the 16 ohm port on my Orange head. My understanding is you can go with a slightly higher resistance but going lower is generally not advised. The warnings I read were to make sure resistance does not exceed the port rating by more than 50%. So I guessed plugging no more than 24 ohms into the 16 ohm amp output to be completely acceptable. Please note, I said acceptable and not optimal. :D :D :D

Last edited:

Bownse

Reaction score
The Seventy/80 sounds pretty good in a closed back cab.
You should at least try it.

When I broke out my 40C into a head/cab set, I made the cab closed back (2x12) and put the 70/80 along with my 75w Creamback in it. The two together (along with the closed back) work very well.

rlowe

Reaction score
Bandit, I was having trouble loading pic elsewhere, so here is a top pic. The cab is square and not skewed!

Attachments

• Dsl40c with Mx112 ext. top view.jpg
    Dsl40c with Mx112 ext. top view.jpg
    631.5 KB · Views: 13
  • Dsl40c with Mx112 ext. front view.jpg
    Dsl40c with Mx112 ext. front view.jpg
    676.4 KB · Views: 14

BanditPanda

Reaction score
When I broke out my 40C into a head/cab set, I made the cab closed back (2x12) and put the 70/80 along with my 75w Creamback in it. The two together (along with the closed back) work very well.

Thanks for that Bownse! That is encouraging. Looks like opinion has it that the 70/80 may sound better in a closed back environment. Very interesting.

BanditPanda

Reaction score
Bandit, I was having trouble loading pic elsewhere, so here is a top pic. The cab is square and not skewed!

Thank you for doing that Rowe. Looks pretty darn good. The 40DSL head sitting on top of the MX would not look out of place or odd / oversized at all.

assaf110

Reaction score
One note and I'm not sure anyone wants to play this game!!! I did put one 8 ohm cabinet and one 16 ohm cabinet in series with the cable for a total resistance of right around 20-22 ohm (measured resistance). This was plugged into the 16 ohm port on my Orange head. My understanding is you can go with a slightly higher resistance but going lower is generally not advised. The warnings I read were to make sure resistance does not exceed the port rating by more than 50%. So I guessed plugging no more than 24 ohms into the 16 ohm amp output to be completely acceptable. Please note, I said acceptable and not optimal. :D :D :D

Dude, how did you measure:facepalm:?
Impedance, which is the value on the speakers outputs, does not equals Resistance (which is what you measure with a meter with no voltage in the circuit). So your assumption is simply not correct (even thought the Impedance value wouldn't be too far off).

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Impedance, which is the value on the speakers outputs, does not equals Resistance (which is what you measure with a meter with no voltage in the circuit). So your assumption is simply not correct (even thought the Impedance value wouldn't be too far off).
Note that he did say measured resistance...
Never once did he state (maybe he did imply) impedance.

While you are both reasonably correct, it is always best to match speakers to the amp...

nevermind

Reaction score

Do we know each other?

FWIW, I do like your last sentence. The reading is close enough for government work AND if you take the manufacturer's rating, the nominal impedance value would be 24 ohms. I offered up the measurement to just let folks know the value got bigger when using the series cable. If I can plug a 16 ohm speaker in the 16 ohm output port, I should be ok plugging a device with less than 50% more than that in the same hole.

Note that he did say measured resistance...
Never once did he state (maybe he did imply) impedance.

While you are both reasonably correct, it is always best to match speakers to the amp...

Acceptable and not optimal were both used in the wording of that nonsense! I was just trying to demonstrate my exceptional understanding of Ohm's Law and resistance in series using a VOM. I try not to imply anything although English is a doggone strange language.

Angus Rhoads

Reaction score
Do we know each other?

FWIW, I do like your last sentence. The reading is close enough for government work AND if you take the manufacturer's rating, the nominal impedance value would be 24 ohms. I offered up the measurement to just let folks know the value got bigger when using the series cable. If I can plug a 16 ohm speaker in the 16 ohm output port, I should be ok plugging a device with less than 50% more than that in the same hole.

Acceptable and not optimal were both used in the wording of that nonsense! I was just trying to demonstrate my exceptional understanding of Ohm's Law and resistance in series using a VOM. I try not to imply anything although English is a doggone strange language.
LOL, this reminded me of that Slim Pickens line in Blazing Saddles: "You use your tongue prettier than a $20 whore."