The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread

• Thread starter Micky
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

rlowe

Reaction score
I emailed Marshall about what cleaner to use for mysterious black smudges that were appearing on the gold eq plate on front of amp. The smudges were not caused by dirty hands (minor), or anything else, merely finger contact over time. They said they were not quite sure what was causing it, and to send them a picture of the smudges. I experimented with a little WD-40 and the smudges disappeared. The amp now looks as good as new! You can see the previous black smudges and finger marks on page 417 where I posted a picture of my amp.

Last edited:

J.LaGrassa

Reaction score
I emailed Marshall about what cleaner to use for mysterious black smudges that were appearing on the gold eq plate on front of amp. The smudges were not caused by dirty hands (minor), or anything else, merely finger contact over time. They said they were not quite sure what was causing it, and to send them a picture of the smudges. I experimented with a little WD-40 and the smudges disappeared. The amp now looks as good as new! You can see the previous black smudges and finger marks on page 417 where I posted a picture of my amp.

I believe it's from the oils in your fingers that get on that finish, I see it on my amp as well... thanks for the tip on cleaning it with WD-40.

Bownse

Reaction score
The aerosol carrier might attack the finish over time. It evaporates but before it does...

WD-40 is a water diplacement product; not a lube or cleaner.

Bownse

Reaction score
Marketing aside.

WD40 attracts dust and grit and will make lubed joints and bearing (and locks) gummy over time. Use something like an aerosol spray silocone lube which leaves behind the dry lube when the carrier evaporates.

Take it from someone with with many miles (and years) of personal maint on motorcycles, cars, etc. that WD40 can create long term problems you thought you were trying to fix. I've known too many people faced with replacing ignition locks because they failed after religious use of WD40.

There are many references with the details. This was the first that came up with the Google Search: Is WD40 a lubricant?

http://lifehacker.com/5891936/when-should-i-not-use-wd-40

A more substantive source is Popular Mechanics

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/how-to/a6064/wd-40-vs-the-world-of-lubricants/

OTOH: Duct tape really is as good as everyone thinks it is.

Last edited:

GibsonKramer

Reaction score
WD-40, is a temporary, typically messy, but effective fix.

The new silicone based stuff, is far superior.

Though, I always have a can of WD-40.

MarshallDog

Reaction score
I would NOT use any silicone type products or products with ammonia in them on the face plate of a Marshall amp. It is a sure way to damage the lettering on them and I'm talking from experience. WD-40 works good but better yet is Simple Green. It really cleans but does not have any of these to products in it and DOES NOT affect/hurt the lettering...I speak from experience specific to Marshall face plates.

Last edited:

J.LaGrassa

Reaction score
Any of you guys try the Wampler Tumnus OD? I Just got one that was slightly used but have only got to try it with a cheap Crate Powerblock head and it actually makes that head sound real good, will get to try it with the DSL40 tonight where I jam but I have a good feeling this pedal is going to make the amp sing. It's got a very nice open sound to it with no low end loss, this is essentially Wamplers take on a Klon... I want to use this to push the Crunch and Lead channel for just that little extra gain.

ken361

Reaction score
Thought about it J. I have a Belle Epoch echoplex delay coming monday i cant wait to try it:) im sure your pedal should work good, great clean boost prb.

BanditPanda

Reaction score
Any of you guys try the Wampler Tumnus OD? I Just got one that was slightly used but have only got to try it with a cheap Crate Powerblock head and it actually makes that head sound real good, will get to try it with the DSL40 tonight where I jam but I have a good feeling this pedal is going to make the amp sing. It's got a very nice open sound to it with no low end loss, this is essentially Wamplers take on a Klon... I want to use this to push the Crunch and Lead channel for just that little extra gain.

Yes I have one. Not on my board. Couldn't find a happy spot with my LP. Seems to be a very dark pedal. Most demo's seem to use single coils with it.

J.LaGrassa

Reaction score
Yes I have one. Not on my board. Couldn't find a happy spot with my LP. Seems to be a very dark pedal. Most demo's seem to use single coils with it.

I will find out tonight but at home it was not dark sounding with my SG, the speaker in my other cab is a G12H30 70th Anniversary. Were you using it as a boost or did you have the gain set up high, I will most likely have the gain set low and volume set high just to fatten up the tone.

rlowe

Reaction score
I have a Archer red knob which is the closest pedal you can get to the Klon. The Archer was designed by one of the original Klon designer's. It has a lot of pep, and treble much loud compared to my Rothwell Hellbender which gives a darker yet even eq'd Overdrive sound. I have never tried the Wampler, maybe have heard it in reviews.

J.LaGrassa

Reaction score
I have a Archer red knob which is the closest pedal you can get to the Klon. The Archer was designed by one of the original Klon designer's. It has a lot of pep, and treble much loud compared to my Rothwell Hellbender which gives a darker yet even eq'd Overdrive sound. I have never tried the Wampler, maybe have heard it in reviews.

Cool, I'm new to the whole Klon thing so I have no experience with others. The Tumnus worked nicely last night into my Crunch channel set for mild break up, I found I didnt use it as much as I anticipated the Marshall does most of what I like with out.

BanditPanda

Reaction score
I will find out tonight but at home it was not dark sounding with my SG, the speaker in my other cab is a G12H30 70th Anniversary. Were you using it as a boost or did you have the gain set up high, I will most likely have the gain set low and volume set high just to fatten up the tone.

J...just using it as a regular O/D pedal. Not high gain. I've got the Xotic BB Pre in place of the Tumnus for the time being.

BanditPanda

Reaction score
Cool, I'm new to the whole Klon thing so I have no experience with others. The Tumnus worked nicely last night into my Crunch channel set for mild break up, I found I didnt use it as much as I anticipated the Marshall does most of what I like with out.

J...if you have time & feel like it try the Tumnus in Green & Clean & let me know what you think.

J.LaGrassa

Reaction score
J...if you have time & feel like it try the Tumnus in Green & Clean & let me know what you think.

I tried the Green Clean for about a minute with the Tumnus last night it was not bad but I never use the Green Clean I prefer it with the Crunch on and gain set low to about 9-10:00, The Tumnus sounds very good in that mode. I haven't had my amp home for a few weeks, when I convert it to a head which will be soon I will start bringing it back home.

Last edited:

GibsonKramer

Reaction score
OK, well my Vintage 30 finally broke in, and wow. It's a completely different amp.

I gotta be honest, I was kind of disappointed at times, when I'd switch from DSL, to the Jubilee. The 2553, is setup to just plug in and play. No pedals, and any guitar you pick. It just sounds good. So for the last month, I've been gritting my teeth, avoiding the Jubilee, and using the cab for backing tracks.

That wasn't my former experience with the DSL40C. Half my LPs were tested on a DSL40. Like I said though, that thing was worn in. My brand new amp... sounds like something else. In fact, it reminded me of the JVM1C, which I do not like, at all. Love the JVM. Hate that little combo. Sounds like a buzzsaw to me.

However, I just got a new dog, thanks to my daughter and a freak thunderstorm. A young bully boxer. Looks mean as Hell, heart of gold. Someone I suspect had chained him to a fence...

Well, he's living the good life now. Just still trying to adjust to all the other dogs and cats. But, I digress...

Haven't played my guitars, in at least a week. But, I had noticed the V30 voice, was starting to change. It was picking up the growl, is what it is. Gets a little deeper, and develops a nice good thump.

Usually after I take a few days break, I seem to just click a little more with my guitars. Yesterday I had stopped into GC, wanted to see some of the 2018 Gibson line they got in. I'm waiting on a Pelham Blue LP Classic (P90s!!!!). They have a really nice new SG, with mini humbuckers, that I got to play through a used DSL100, and 1960 Lead cab. It sounded, really good.

I didn't have a chance to play when I got home, but I spent a few hours in my room today. Played my Tribute (P90s), LE Standard, and one of my Customs. It was sublime. It stacked up very favorably, against it's big brother. I was considering buying the larger head, after playing it. Once I got home, broken in V30 in the combo... no thanks. The 100H, is really nice... but the 40C, holds her own.

I've also finally got the green OD channel, with my OD pedals, set the way I like... so is a nice switch up.

Personally, I like the reverb, as well.

If I were to ever start playing in a band again... I would probably be lugging that DSL around. It's that good sounding, with plenty of volume. Dang though, I wouldn't want to be placed right in front of that amp. Your ears would bleed.

Unfortunately, I walked into GC, and not only did they have a new black DSL40C, they have another cream color one!? WTH!? I wanted to be coolest 50 yo kid, on the block.

BanditPanda

Reaction score
Yes GK you ran into the Marshall DSL40C Limited Edition Cream.
I guess that would make it the DSL40CC.
Look forward to the pics of the Pelham Blue LP Classic !! ( when it finds it's way into your home)
BP