The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread

• Thread starter Micky
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

seattleman1969

Reaction score
Haven't had much time on the amp. Just going by initial impressions. I understand that C4 will affect both clean and crunch modes on Channel 1 which is what I think I'd like to do. I haven't decided yet exactly what I'm going to do but right now I'm exploring options so I know what's possible and what isn't.

What I do know is that I did notice what many others have noticed, which is that the EQ is not consistent between the two channels and is something I'll probably have to address before the amp works for me as a two-channel gigging amp, which is what I'm buying it for. I just think that for me, a better solution would be to make CH1 brighter rather than CH2 darker and I'm trying to figure out how I might accomplish that.

Where did you get your schematic? I've been searching high and low for it.

Pasloade74

Reaction score
Over the weekend our band jammed with a new guitar player. I had my Dsl40 with stock speaker and he had an Orange Rocker 30 combo with Vintage 30. I gotta say the DSL sounded better than that Orange. I was surprised judging by how much those things cost. Made me proud I was rocking the DSL.

John 14:6

Reaction score
How is the bias set on the DSL40C's right from the factory and what is a good bias setting or range for these amps? I am thinking about getting one. They are kind of cute......:D:shred:

I sure wish Marshall had put in bias test points so I could set the bias myself if it is set bone cold from Marshall. I will end up spending another $225.00 on a Compu-Bias just to keep from having to take it to a tech to change tubes.

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
One was 36, the other was almost 37.

Bias is easy on the new DSL's. There are only a few spots where there are lethal voltages present, and there are only millivolts on the bias points.

I have had the bias at 40, as well as 35, and I like lower better. More clean headroom, especially at 20W. I would love to try some 6550's in the amp, just waiting for Rod to get off his ass and either put them in and see, or ship them to me and I will do it...

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see that you set the bias at 38ma Micky, but where was it set from the factory?

Mine were at 36mv John from the factory and I liked it there having gone higher and lower. Good solid bias not to cool and not hot at a PV of 450v.

markm

Reaction score
Where do you guys find your presense and resonance knobs set at?
I ask cause I keep moving mine all the time
Thanks

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    93.1 KB · Views: 7

ken361

Reaction score
Where do you guys find your presense and resonance knobs set at?
I ask cause I keep moving mine all the time
Thanks

pres at 3 resonance at 7, yours is on the ground so you will have less bass then mine. Really depends were i set up the amp at.

dougb256

Reaction score
So, we took the time to document all of this, to boldly go where no man has gone before.

To reverse engineer many aspects of this amp and assemble our findings here.

I would imagine next you would want us to unsolder the components for you?
I know where he's coming from tho. One of the things I plan on doing this Spring is going thru this thread, grabbing the important bits about mods and saving them to a pdf. I did that with the Zoom B3 pedal and it is very nice to have all of that info condensed down to 25 pages.

bman

Reaction score
I discovered the same vibe dropping a mid 80's Celestion in mine. It was like...hello, no mods needed.

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
I know where he's coming from tho. One of the things I plan on doing this Spring is going thru this thread, grabbing the important bits about mods and saving them to a pdf. I did that with the Zoom B3 pedal and it is very nice to have all of that info condensed down to 25 pages.

It is too bad we couldn't have a Sticky where each mod is permalinked to this thread to make it much easier to find...

60Cycle

Reaction score
It is too bad we couldn't have a Sticky where each mod is permalinked to this thread to make it much easier to find...

We need a poll on the best preamp tubes. I'm lost but I ordered a Mullard for V1 to start.

AAHIHaveNoIdeaWhatImDoing

Reaction score
hey folks. for those who advocate a speaker change, I dont mess with stuff like this at all do forgive my ignorance--can you hear the differences in different speakers at lower volumes (2-3) or does that stuff only really become apparent when the amp is really cranked? thanks.

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
hey folks. for those who advocate a speaker change, I dont mess with stuff like this at all do forgive my ignorance--can you hear the differences in different speakers at lower volumes (2-3) or does that stuff only really become apparent when the amp is really cranked? thanks.

Even at lower volumes the difference can sometimes be very pronounced.