The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread

• Thread starter Micky
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AxeMaker

Reaction score
There is no NEW info or OLD info, only INFO.

Who is to say something is better than another?
It is ALL subjective, it is up to YOU to do YOUR research.

And this is why we are all here.
To discuss things, ask and answer questions, and show off a bit.

In the end it is YOUR amp, do with it what YOU wanna do.
Don't let anyone here force you to do anything...

(I just re-read this, and I think I am starting to sound like Dreyn... OH NO!)

But for someone trying to learn and understand what does what... this is all greek. It does almost nothing for me to hear "I switched out V1 with this tube, and V2 with that tube" and it sounds great now.

Just saying...

Reactions: IRG

ken361

Reaction score
I only changed the speaker and the preamp tubes, the amp rocks great with a Les Paul:) I owned a lot of amps over 8 years and really like this one. Plug straight in is all you need and a good guitar cable;)

AxeMaker

Reaction score
I only changed the speaker and the preamp tubes, the amp rocks great with a Les Paul:) I owned a lot of amps over 8 years and really like this one. Plug straight in is all you need and a good guitar cable;)

Which speaker?
Which preamp tubes?
How did it change the sound before vs. after the change?

PtTimeRckr

Reaction score
Which speaker?
Which preamp tubes?

I'll give this a try, speaking as a relative noob here myself.

1. There is only the one speaker. Most go to the Creamback because they like it. It's a subjective opinion. If you don't know what a creamback is, or the difference between that and the stock 70/80, then you probably need to spend some time with google.
2. There are 4 pre-amp tubes. I'm guessing he swapped them all, likely with a variety across the four slots. Again, if you don't know what each pre-amp tube does, google again.
3. Words can't really capture sound. I know that sounds weird and dismissive, but many try to describe what they're after or what the changes did for them. Another subjective opinion.

What Micky was saying was, sit back and absorb for awhile. All will become clear. You need to learn about your new amp, and you need to do it for yourself. No one can do that for you. However, there are many awesome people on this forum who share their stuff, knowledge and ideas to help each other out. It's a big ask to have someone catalog the best of 150 pages of wisdom. Even bigger to know what variations are "best." This is art, not science. Informed by science and engineering, sure. But art, nonetheless.

My humble advice: sit back. be patient. let the wisdom wash over you.

oh, and rock your face off! :hbang:

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
But for someone trying to learn and understand what does what... this is all greek. It does almost nothing for me to hear "I switched out V1 with this tube, and V2 with that tube" and it sounds great now.

Just saying...

OK, so you are talking about 2 different things here...

Understanding the terminology, and modding the amp.

If you cane here to find a dictionary about the innards of an amp, then you came to the wrong place. I know I personally have done very little to explain basics to readers, and this really is on purpose.

If you don't understand the basics, you might not have any business modifying an amp. Safety is very important in this respect, as there are lethal voltages inside an amp that can kill you. Only trained technicians who are qualified to work on this equipment should be doing things like modding or repairing a tube amp. Is that gonna stop your average Joe from doing it? No.

After you DO get the basics and start to understand the terminology things in this thread, as well as many others here will start to make sense. Mind you, there are some very intelligent people here and many of them try very hard to help users do what is in their best interest. But it is STILL up to you what you decide to do with your amp, whether you decide you want to try to modify it or not.

There are many things described here that even novice users can accomplish with ease, and you will also find many things that advanced users will have difficulty with. Again, it is up to you to decide how you want your amp to sound, and what modifications (if any) you choose to perform.

Rest assured, there are many here that will do all they can to help.

Just ask.

ken361

Reaction score
Which speaker?
Which preamp tubes?

I put Warehouse speaker British lead in I got a good deal on it! it smoothed the tone out right away, less bright. I still run the treble at 4 or so. Preamp tubes I did a couple of changes over since January when I bought the amp. Tungsol v1 JJ803 v2 adds some warmth v3 gold lion v4 im using a older groove tube Mullard reissue labeled penta its a nice PI tube;) the stock JJ preamp tubes add more a slightly harsher end and darker at the same time I never use those tubes in my amps, not too smooth sounding.

AxeMaker

Reaction score
I'll give this a try, speaking as a relative noob here myself.

1. There is only the one speaker. Most go to the Creamback because they like it. It's a subjective opinion. If you don't know what a creamback is, or the difference between that and the stock 70/80, then you probably need to spend some time with google.
2. There are 4 pre-amp tubes. I'm guessing he swapped them all, likely with a variety across the four slots. Again, if you don't know what each pre-amp tube does, google again.
3. Words can't really capture sound. I know that sounds weird and dismissive, but many try to describe what they're after or what the changes did for them. Another subjective opinion.

What Micky was saying was, sit back and absorb for awhile. All will become clear. You need to learn about your new amp, and you need to do it for yourself. No one can do that for you. However, there are many awesome people on this forum who share their stuff, knowledge and ideas to help each other out. It's a big ask to have someone catalog the best of 150 pages of wisdom. Even bigger to know what variations are "best." This is art, not science. Informed by science and engineering, sure. But art, nonetheless.

My humble advice: sit back. be patient. let the wisdom wash over you.

oh, and rock your face off! :hbang:

I know there is only one speaker... The question is what did he replace the original speaker with?

Why have a forum if I have to Google to get the information about the preamp tubes? This is what forums are for, to exchange information.

It's frustrating sifting through it all when all of the information can easily be presented in a format that can be much more useful to people. That's all I am saying.

I know I am sounding a bit curse, I am just trying to type this out quickly because I am in the middle of something, sorry...

ken361

Reaction score
Say when your playing loud and you find something you dont like. Too bright you adjust the amps knobs. Then try different preamp tubes to dial in your tone you want, adjust pickups again I always find some minor adjustment to find the sweet spot! were you set up the amp can affect tone, on the floor or up high set on something it will add bass or lower it. I get a fuller red channel at my girls house with a drop ceiling and carpet on the floor opposed to my house built in 1960 and having a tile floor and not setup near a wall.
I have to add some bass at my house on the red channel to get a fuller sound , where my girls condo I drop the bass to 3 compared to 5.

rodd

Reaction score
What are the value for money pre amp tubes I can use for this DLS 40C.
Ones I find on amazon are tung sol and mullard Reissues. I want to use something diffrerent to JJ, as the stock ones have been found to be JJ's. Something easy to get on amazon is all I want.

ken361

Reaction score
What are the value for money pre amp tubes I can use for this DLS 40C.
Ones I find on amazon are tung sol and mullard Reissues. I want to use something diffrerent to JJ, as the stock ones have been found to be JJ's. Something easy to get on amazon is all I want.
Could go Tungsol v1 jj803 or Mullard v2,v3 EH or v4 have to see what works for ya. Old stock tubes are good if you get the right ones

Pumpkin88

Reaction score
I've heard so many comparison videos with tube changes I can't even tell the difference. In many cases the stock tubes are adequate. The only time I hear a significant difference is when you go from a EL-34 power tube to a KT-88. Otherwise its like buying a different brand of a light bulb, ultimately they all do the same thing.

Berserk

Reaction score
Hi guys, I've had my DSL40C for about a year now and I've never been able to get a good sound with the volume past 3. Which is weird because I always see posts about how the amp sounds better when cranked. The highest I've ever gone was 8 and it was not pleasant. Anyway I just wanted to know if anyone else has this same problem or you guys have any advise for me. Btw I just got a creamback 75 and it sounds great in the amp but only with the volume around 2-3.

rodd

Reaction score
Can KT 88 can be put in without modifications?
I would just keep EL34 in this amp. Get another amp I'd get something single channel with tubes.

IRG

Reaction score
Hi guys, I've had my DSL40C for about a year now and I've never been able to get a good sound with the volume past 3. Which is weird because I always see posts about how the amp sounds better when cranked. The highest I've ever gone was 8 and it was not pleasant. Anyway I just wanted to know if anyone else has this same problem or you guys have any advise for me. Btw I just got a creamback 75 and it sounds great in the amp but only with the volume around 2-3.

Where you do you have the gain set at, and is this the case for both the clean/crunch channel, and the Lead 1/2 channel? DOes seem weird, maybe your tubes are starting to go.

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Yes, let us know what setting you have dialed in on the amp.
What guitar? Maybe sound clips?

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
I changed my speakef out to a Celestion V30, it killed some of the harsh high end of the stock non broken in 70/80 speaker.
I found the difference in EQ between channels when when changing to Ultra to be too extreme. The Ultra had too much high end for me. So I opened it up amd snipped one leg on the C19 capacitor as per the first pages of this monstrous thread. The EQ is even between channels now, to me.
Because I have an @ss load of pre amp tubes, I changed 'em around for fun. I believe the stock tubes are JJs.
V1 is the first tube, the one closest to the input, furthest from the power tubes. It controls the input gain first stage for both channels. Often it has the biggest effect. You have to try some and listen based on what you might want to do - the TungSol tends to be a higher gain tube, JJs and some other old stock tubes can be warmer sounding, etc.
This is all personal taste, many players leave it stock. This is just my opinion based on what I wanted it to sound like and playing around for fun. Hope this helps!

nikola

Reaction score

Could it be your amp settings?

I have found that when the volumes are raised, certain settings ie TMB need to be tweaked.

Moving the amp into a different room also requires that small tweak. Sometimes, even raising the amp off the floor also changes the sound quite dramatically.

ken361

Reaction score
You guys using the stock red channel should checkout Jims video, even with the stock speaker it has some great tone. I just tried these setting on mine loud with very good results. He just said that he runs the trb and mids a bit lower now. Im using the trb, mids at 7 bass and resonance 7 also presence at 3. The key is the tone shift button in! it takes the edge off. I hated this button at first but works great like this. I was running everything at 5 with the bass backed off some. keeping the trb mids higher you hear everything better, before my amp sounded more anemic . You may be surprised:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnsDm7bVwu0

Last edited:
Reactions: IRG

obiwan7373

Reaction score
Read thru each post and don't recall seeing this so I will ask and hopefully if it has been stated, I will not hung for asking...

I stumbled upon all these post about the older DSL models having a ground issue, does this mod need to be performed or has it been remedied in the new DSL models?

Also I wanted to confirm that V3 is a cathode follower and in need of durable tube?

Latest posts