• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

The Official Marshall DSL40c Information Thread

• Thread starter Micky
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Bownse

Reaction score
Nice!

But does yours "go to 11"?

DSL40Mod2.jpg

Been pleased with the results. The closed back gives is some extra punch. Strangely the 70/80 and Creamback compliment each other. The 70/80 adds a little clarity while the Creamback mellows that harsh.

Last edited:

Notes69

Reaction score
So, I had a bit of snow-fuzzz infecting my Classic CH. Turns out it was a bad V2.

The amp still had the original Preamp tubes, and I switched them all out. What the heck.

I ended up putting a Tung-Sol 12AX7 in V1, V4
I went with a Preferred Series 7025 in V2, V3

I don’t have the extensive experience as many here, so I just gambled and tried a mix of tubes.

I feel like I threw a dart and hit a bullseye. Really brought this amp to life. I have an itch to go with all 4 Preferred 7025, but I think I should digest the current setup for a while, and also crank it at band room levels as well. I want to be able to feel the subtle changes so when I switch I can comprehend what I am hearing. If I like the sound, that’s really all that matters, but being able to discern the differences will go a long way in the education dept.

Have many of you tried this set up, or the reverse order? I’m also thinking of switching the Power tubes to Preferred EL34. I read some reviews while doing some research and it tickled my fancy. Any thoughts on the mix in general?

Thanks all!

tubes.jpg

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
So, I had a bit of snow-fuzzz infecting my Classic CH. Turns out it was a bad V2.

The amp still had the original Preamp tubes, and I switched them all out. What the heck.

I ended up putting a Tung-Sol 12AX7 in V1, V4
I went with a Preferred Series 7025 in V2, V3

I don’t have the extensive experience as many here, so I just gambled and tried a mix of tubes.

I feel like I threw a dart and hit a bullseye. Really brought this amp to life. I have an itch to go with all 4 Preferred 7025, but I think I should digest the current setup for a while, and also crank it at band room levels as well. I want to be able to feel the subtle changes so when I switch I can comprehend what I am hearing. If I like the sound, that’s really all that matters, but being able to discern the differences will go a long way in the education dept.

Have many of you tried this set up, or the reverse order? I’m also thinking of switching the Power tubes to Preferred EL34. I read some reviews while doing some research and it tickled my fancy. Any thoughts on the mix in general?

Thanks all!

View attachment 38629
7025 is one of the more robust ECC83 tubes out there. Just a caveat. W/ Tung-Sols, they have a tendency to burn up in the cathode follower position (V3), so you might avoid using one there. I've never tried the Preferred Series tubes, but I have a bunch of Philips 7025 tubes & they kick ass! I've heard pretty good reviews of the Preferred Series though...

If you can get some good deals on tubes it doesn't hurt to have a bunch to try out...

whitecloud

Reaction score
Thanks for all the comments and suggestions regarding some of my warranty concerns. Having this amp for about a week or so now I am settling in and getting a handle on dialing things in better for varying tones. Did try a Bugera 4x12(yeah I know) but was very surprised how nice it sounds and a/b/y against the stock speaker and a Eminence Private Jack in a external 1x12 cab. Had some pretty good success using a Bogner La Grange at varying stages of overdrive so I will recommend this pedal without hesitation, though I have enjoyed that one and the Blue for quite some time and prior to getting this amp. Have been running a looper pedal for about an hour a day into the amp besides my usual play time so the stock speaker seems to be sounding a bit better. I'll more than likely upgrade that 12" down the road and replace all the stock Bugera speakers in that 4x12. So far am really liking this amp and am tickled that I got it at such a really good price

whitecloud

Reaction score
Thought I would share this test clip. I was going for some old classic rock tones to see how that went. Stock speaker and very basic playing style meant not to impress or show off but put the focus on the raw amp tones. This is the scenario I used a Heil PR-30 for All tracks. Yamaha SG500 with SD Seth Lover Bridge pickup. Lead guitar track(around 1:05) used Bogner LA Grange but only the Boost side. DSL40c's Green channel/crunch mode. Mic preamp is a Warm Audio TB-12 Tone Beast into Audient i22 audio interface-Cubase all guitar tracks are raw and not processed with eq or Reverb/delay. Bass DI Tone Beast and Steve Slate SSD a couple of drum midi grooves

I could for practice purposes sweeten and polish the tracks and may do so but this is not a real song idea but a good reference for if and when I want tor record these kind of tones. I do look forward to bumping up the gain and venture into the Red Channel as well

ken361

Reaction score
Thought I would share this test clip. I was going for some old classic rock tones to see how that went. Stock speaker and very basic playing style meant not to impress or show off but put the focus on the raw amp tones. This is the scenario I used a Heil PR-30 for All tracks. Yamaha SG500 with SD Seth Lover Bridge pickup. Lead guitar track(around 1:05) used Bogner LA Grange but only the Boost side. DSL40c's Green channel/crunch mode. Mic preamp is a Warm Audio TB-12 Tone Beast into Audient i22 audio interface-Cubase all guitar tracks are raw and not processed with eq or Reverb/delay. Bass DI Tone Beast and Steve Slate SSD a couple of drum midi grooves

I could for practice purposes sweeten and polish the tracks and may do so but this is not a real song idea but a good reference for if and when I want tor record these kind of tones. I do look forward to bumping up the gain and venture into the Red Channel as well

I was using the red and blue pedals for 2 years before I bought the dsl, can you post the la grange clip with clean channel?

whitecloud

Reaction score
I was using the red and blue pedals for 2 years before I bought the dsl, can you post the la grange clip with clean channel?
I have some projects going on and with Christmas and all probably more likely after that or the first of the year. What tones and amount of gain
are we talking? The LA Grange starts low and goes well beyond what the Blue offers then there is that boost which can be independent or
on with the gain engaged

ken361

Reaction score
I have some projects going on and with Christmas and all probably more likely after that or the first of the year. What tones and amount of gain
are we talking? The LA Grange starts low and goes well beyond what the Blue offers then there is that boost which can be independent or
on with the gain engaged
Light vintage plexi to a hot rodded sound

ken361

Reaction score
Purchased this unit $60.00 US dollars, hoping it can provide greater possibilities for shaping and tone tweaking my EQ. I have a MXR 10 band, but this should provide something different.
Run the 10 band in the loop? fattens the red up nice I bet;)

MarshallDog

Reaction score
Here it is! Poor phone pick but I wanted to do the reveal!

Not a split of the OEM box but 2 new built from scratch boxes with all new clothes. The speaker cab is 2x12 and currently houses the OEM 70/80 + the G12H-75 Creamback I was running in the combo.

DSL40Mod1.jpg

Wow man great job!! Looks perfect like it came from the factory that way!!!

Bownse

Reaction score
There are a couple of places that don't stand up to close inspection but I think I can do something about them (they are really small and can probably be masked). Fewer imperfections than 6 months on the road would cause.

My practice room smells like pine from the new boxes.

There was some concern about the cabinet adding "woof" from flex but the front baffle is not pine (very robust) while the rear panel is held in place by a metric butt load of screws around the permiter. The result is that the closed-back design adds punch and the tight construction keeps things under control.

Bownse

Reaction score
Does that say "D5L"? As in D five L?

Willie

Yep. That was my doing. The faceplate guy wouldn't use the DSL because of concerns about Marshall's {tm} on the brand. By doing the D5L it slips under most people's radar while also getting around the maker's legal concerns.

I wondered at first but figure it's not as glaring an issue as Len's so, I'm cool. ;)

Latest posts